Charges from student days....

hollidaycumbria
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5955 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Heard about the forum a while ago and found it tonight after google search after trouble with Orange!

I used to be a Nat West customer as a student and new graduate.(1997-2003ish) I often went overdrawn and consequently often got charged. I shut the account down around 2002/2003.

18 months ago I applied for credit and was turned down. After contacting credit people found out Natwest hadnt shut the account because I was around 50p overdrawn at the time of request of closure. This 50p became a few hundred pounds in the subsequent years. It was then passed to a collection agency. Due to me moving house a number of times it never came to my attention. After a rather irate phone call Nat West agreed to write off this amount and correct my credit rating. Result!My account was then correctly closed!

Now, would I have any chance in claiming back the many overdrawn charges (£100's I would think), that were accumulated as a student in the late 90's and early 00's?

Cheers

Hi HC,

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on getting your account closed and credit file corrected.

With regards to your earlier charges some of these will have been incurred over 6 years ago so there is a bit of a problem with regards the Limitation Act 1980 which generally limits claims to 6 years.

However once we have a definitive ruling on charges from the OFT test case we should be able to go back beyond the 6 years using s.32 of the Limitation Act as the charges were paid in the mistaken belief that they were lawful.

All the best

Zoot :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have claimed back charges dating back to 1992 from halifax without a peep from them. Do you think they paid out of the goodness of their hearts. I do not think so. They paid out because there was no legal argument against me doing so. I realy dont understand why moderators constantly advise new claiments to limit their claimd to 6 years when s.32 of the Limitation Act clearly states that the claiment has 6 years from the date that becomes known to them.