• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Co-operative Bank / Haddington Sheriff Court

Mentzer
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5948 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I am new to the forum and it's my first post.

My wife has a court date of next Monday, 19 November 10:00am v.

Co-operative Bank. Does anyone in Scotland have any experience with the Co-operative Bank. Also, the various threads & posts regarding sist/non-sists were very interesting. I have seen almost every Sheriffdom except the one her case is calling, Haddington Sheriff Court. Does anyone have any experience / information there?

Thank you in anticipation of your help.

Hi Mentzer and welcome.

In answer to your pm if you win your case you will win what you have claimed for so any charges levied after you filed at court would need to be reclaimed, before the announcement of the test case some people were lucky enough to have the bank pay these also to avoid further action being taken or simply for the claimant to drop the case.

Regarding the possibility of sisting your case this is really down to the sheriff, there are no blanket sists in place but that dont mean it wont happen, you would be wise to take note of claims which have managed to proceed by the sist application in Scotland.

Regarding appearing on behalf due to ill health you need to have in writing from the other party that this is acceptable. (ex)

Anything else?

Regards

George

Thanks for that.

She is not ill now, but said all along if it went all the way to court I would need to go. Do I need to lodge an authorisation letter prior to the court date, or simply take one with me on the day?

I would be surprised if you haveto go to court. In my case both suits ended up being settled out of court before the court date even though they said the cases woulod be defended.l Best of luck in your case:)

Attended court at 10:00am today, with a Lady Sheriff presiding. A young lady member from the bench (wig) approached me and advised she was representing the Co-operative Bank Plc. She requested a sist on proceedings, on the basis of the OFT case. I opposed the application to sist on the basis OFT was English law;it could also be several years before a proper outcome in terms of appeal procedures etc; most Sheriffdoms had agreed to go to proof; and it was not equitable to sist. The Sheriff ask the bench what other Sheriffs had done in Haddington - she was told they had been sisted (I thought that was therefore that) but the she said she was of a mind to refuse the application and it would proceed to proof in 14 days, the period they now have to prepare a defence.

As to lodge a credible defence would require the presentation of a transparent costs model I am quite happy with this. Perhaps they shall now credit the required sum back to the account prior to the expiry of the 14 days....

• 4 weeks later...

Well things have certainly got interesting. Case called again today - it was continued so that the regular Sheriff could deal with it. In the interim, a letter was received from the solicitors acting on the Co-op Bank's behalf.

"In the meantime,we have been in discussions with our client regarding the matter. In view of the relatively low claim and the mouting costs to our client in proceeding to a further hearing, our client is willing to settle this action in full. We calculate the sums due to you as follows;-"

Not quite sure who the "we" is regarding interest calculation, but they would not pass and 11+. "Interest 29.09.07 to 10.12.07 £7.34"

"Our client will remit this sum to you in advance of the next hearing".

A detailed without prejudice letter was sent straight back via fax and recorded delivery post. This pointed out that they appeared to be pulling random dates out of the air - i.e. the interest (as both the bank and their solicitors are well aware) are payable from the date each of the charges are levied until settlement. 29.09.07 was simply the date the action was raised - 10.12.07 represents what? The day their letter of offer went to the typist? No settlement was effective on that date, nor since. They were informed add £23.07 to the total and have these funds in the account by 17:00 hours on Friday and it would be accepted, otherwise we are in Court again on Monday.

Attended Court this morning, provided the principal copy of the offer letter to the Sheriff, they countered with it was rejected on the basis of the interest calculation; the Sheriff queried this and I pointed out the inaccuracy of the dates and the random nature of the dates used. He then looked at thier solicitor and asked "Is this to be settled today then or not?" response given "No". Sheriff countered with "What about the letter of offer", response "Oh, that was of course without prejudice my Lord." The Sheriff then said he was therefore approving the sist pending the OFT case.

Driving home from Court something was nagging away at me. I pulled over and read the 1 and a quarter page letter of offer from their solicitor. He told the Sheriff "Oh, that was of course without prejudice my Lord." - it certainly WAS NOT. In no part of either page was the phrase "without prejudice" used, either on it's own nor incorporated within the text. The response to their letter WAS without prejudice. I therefore intend to fax/send them an acceptance letter today waving the £23.07 and hold them to pay the amount per their letter. They have acted without due diligence, if their typing pool nor signatories do not do the i's and cross the t's then I shall hold them accountable for it. I intend to point these matters out in the fax/letter and give them 48 hours to have the funds credited to the account, or I shall found upon their letter enforcing recovery of the funds....

• 4 weeks later...

I recall that the OFT or FSA have told the banks that once an offer has been made they must honour it so press on and don't waive £7.34 already offered!! Good luck.

written entirely without prejudice to my whole rights and pleas in law and may not be founded upon in any proceedings.:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
He told the Sheriff "Oh, that was of course without prejudice my Lord." - it certainly WAS NOT. In no part of either page was the phrase "without prejudice" used, either on it's own nor incorporated within the text.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as that.

Generally speaking, if a letter is an obvious attempt to settle a litigation it is taken to be written without prejudice.