• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Prudential car insurance appeal

kalahari

Hi,

I'm currently claiming on my car insurance, its a write off.

I bought the car for £4600 4 months ago

A month ago it was petrol bombed, no one was caught but a witness saw someone do it.

Insurance are offering £3600 (fully comp)

Glasses valuation for sale at a dealer is £4250

The only car of this type and specification within 20 miles of my home address, on Auto trader, is £5000 (Traders only, there are one or two in private ads but I don't want to spend this much without any protection.)

I have a few questions.

Is it true the insurers have to return me to as close to the position I was in before the incident? For example similar car similar milage etc.

As I was not at fault is it likely I will keep my no claims?

The glasses valuation for my car is £4250, I've read in another post that this is the site the insurers use so is it likely they have sent me a low offer in case I accept no questions?

Bit of a specific one now, I'm with Prudential for this claim, can I appeal by phone, or at least start the process, as with the postal strike I know they won't get anything by post for the next week.

How far am I expected to go to find a similar car (This is quite a common car and there are plenty in a 30 mile radius.)

Do the insurers look at private sales for comparison or traders only.

Cheers in advance for any advice.

Hi Kalahari, I hope I can help you with this.

Re the settlement offer for your car, yes the insurers do need to put you back in the position you were in before the loss, but this does not mean they will find you a car. But they should pay you the 'current market value' of the vehicle in question. They can obtain the 'current market value' by looking at Glasses Guide, Parkers Guide & also by using tools such as Auto Trader on-line & the local press. It is likely the offer they have made you is based on Parkers Guide, which often shows lower values than Glasses. Most insurers will (sadly) start at a bottom line price & be open for negotiation, my advice to you would be to find examples of the same car selling for a higher price in your area, & forward these to the insurer - these vehicles must be like for like though, & this means with similar mileage & specifications.

If you are not at fault for the accident & liability is admitted by the person causing the dmg, you will not lose you no claims bonus - however, if the person hasn't been caught this is very unlikely & you will therefore lose your ncb (unless of course you are paying extra to protect it).

And lastly, if you bought the vehicle privately, then the settlement should be based on private sale figures. If you bought it from a garage, then it should be based on garage figures.

I hope this helps - let us know how you get on.

You should be able to appeal by phone, & if you confirm to them that you are 'unhappy' with their offer, they would need to treat this as a complaint & therefore would be obliged to either resolve it within 48 hours or acknowledge it in writing within 5 working days.

Cheers for the advice, they've let me appeal by phone and the woman was more concered with passing it on to be looked at than my reasoning so maybe its just a standard event and I'll get a better offer almost automatically.

Will update as and when.

And lastly, if you bought the vehicle privately, then the settlement should be based on private sale figures. If you bought it from a garage, then it should be based on garage figures.

Goldy, whether or not the vehicle was bought privately or from a dealer makes no difference to the offer made by the insurance company. They will pay out based on its market value.

Kalahari, It might be worth doing a wider search than the 20 mile one that you did on Autotrader to see if you can find anymore examples of your car for sale.

Kalahari, It might be worth doing a wider search than the 20 mile one that you did on Autotrader to see if you can find anymore examples of your car for sale.

Hi, I did, I went to 30 miles, none were close to mine in age or mileage other than the 2 I found within 20 miles.