Changing from Bulldog/Pipex to Sky

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5410 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am trying to change internet provider from what was previously Bulldog (now provided by Pipex). I have both internet and telephone line provided by Pipex and therefore do not have a BT line, which seems to make it very difficult to change to another provider.

I am interested in changing to Sky Broadband and Skytalk telephone, but it appears that first I need a BT line. I have heard about something called return to donor to re-establish the BT line rental. What I am not sure about, is what then happens with the broadband connection when BT take over the telephone line, whether I will still have to request the MAC from Pipex and at what stage I contract the Sky service?

Does anybody know if the Pipex broadband will continue once BT takes over the line and whether I still require the MAC (or does MAC become irrelevant for an non BT line).

Also does anyone have experience of how much time I will be without broadband?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, in practice, you do have a BT line, as BT own the infrastructure. The only thing which BT do not provide is the line itself.

The physical switching of the line is simple - an engineer goes to the cabinet and tweaks a few things and boom - BT are now providing your line!

However, there will be a "tag" on your line which will prevent someone else from providing your broadband. So you will need a MAC code to switch internet providers. Contact Sky ASAP with your request and your MAC code, and they should deal with this for you.

Word of warning from me on a personal note - I tried to do this with Sky and they had no idea whatsoever on how to do it and ended up just cancelling the order for the phone line - the reason being they did not know how to do it! So I ended up with a fantastic lady from BT helping me (I moved into a new house, hence why I needed a BT line) and she did everything for me. I pay a bit more, but then I had to get the BT line working for broadband. Might just be me, but I have not found Sky to be helpful on the phone line side of things!!

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)