• Tweets

• I'm trying to unravel this – but I get the impression that there was no contract between you and EVRi and that you didn't even choose them but instead you decided use some third party parcel broker in the USA which organised the delivery. Is this correct? EVRi came into the picture because they would then eventually selected for part of the journey although you had no knowledge that it might be them and I suppose it didn't really matter as long as the item got to you. Secondly, I really don't understand the journey which this item made. You bought the item from somebody in the USA. They then were meant to dispatch it to you to another address in the USA but for some reason or other it came to the UK and then into the hands of EVRi at which point it was lost or stolen. More confusion here because you now tell us that EVRi marked it as being out for delivery but it was never delivered. This suggests that it was going to be delivered to a UK address but earlier on you said that it was going to be delivered to USA address. I think you need to look at the story. Maybe show it to a friend of yours who is not particularly where the details and ask them if they can make head or tail of it and then come back to us with clarification so that we fully understand. Also, I think we'd like to know what the item is, how was it declared, what was the value which was declared. You said it was a valuable item because it was rare and collectable. I gather from this that it is non-fungible. We need to understand more about this. Was an insurance policy purchased to cover it during the delivery process. I understand that this rare and collectable item be valued at £200. Have evidence this value. This could become very important. Also you have given is no idea when this happened. We need to understand the full timescale. There are a number of possibilities here including the possibility of the contract action against EVRi on the basis of your third party rights or an action for negligence but we need to know far more and we need to get a story that makes sense.   Finally, I understand that you have sent the letter of claim. What did it say? How much time did you give them? What did you expect to happen as a result of the letter of claim? Whatever the answers to those questions might be, clearly you had no idea how to proceed after having sent such a letter. A letter of claim is meant to be a serious threat of some legal action if some condition which you have stipulated is not complied with. You set a deadline for compliance and at the end of that deadline you issue the court action. Clearly you are not in a position to do that so your letter of claim is a bluff and undermines your credibility and it will find its way into the EVRi wastepaper basket – if it's not there already.  
    • Good morning. I just wanted to check something please. The other side have moved slightly and negotiated a full and final offer price to end this matter. I am happy with this. However, I want to make sure this is the end of the matter and am emailing the following over to them prior to payment. Is this enough to ensure they can come back for nothing else? Thanks -------------------------------------------------- Dear Sir.   With regards your last email below.   I am pleased to agree to the full and final settlement figure given below.   Can you confirm this payment will be in full and final payment with no further claim to be brought against me in this matter?   Best regards
    • 100% sure I didn't receive it, that why my first post is with the £100 letter.
    • Engine, the technology business Starling Bank was built on, has been busy launching banks around the world, from Romania to Australia.View the full article
    • use this your WS and inc this as an exhibit off to bed now 3 nights been up till 4am aurora watching wont be on too early as it's lambing season out herding with the dog. your WS main thrust is the debt would now be SB'd , the DN was filed xxxyrs+months after it should have been thus unlawfully extending  SB date to infinity. highlight their admittance regarding errors at that time period in your 'redetermination'  paragraph. agreements unreadable. would have already been written off due to SLC age write off criteria has they not issued the claim to stop the SB clock when they had no paperwork to prove their case in the 1st place. never earned over threshold. dx       Erudio - stopped sending email deferments won at FOS DRN-4141462.pdf
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Smile? I'm not smiling...£480.00 to get MY statements!

lois
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6524 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi there,

I have just been told by Smile that it will cost me £10.00 per statement. So to get a copy of the last 4 years = a total charge of £480.00 for information that relates to me !

Has anyone else has this problem? I'm absolutely spitting mad !

any information/advice would be hugely appreciately. I cannot see this has been covered before, so many many apologies if it has and I have completely missed a thread that has already dealt with this.

Abbey claim: £972.00; Req for Refund letter sent 22.05.06

HSBC claim: sorted!

Citibank credit card claim: sorted!

Abbey/MBNA credit card: sorted!

Smile credit card: 2nd LBA sent 09.06.06

Capital One credit card: sorted!

Parachute deployed and everything moved ... GO GET 'EM !!

The answer is in the Frequently Asked Questions area.

Q. The trouble is that I don't remember what they have taken from me. I'm not very good with my paper and I don't have my statements any more OR I was troubled about ID theft and I shred my statments after looking at them and therefore do not know the amount I have been charged, how can I find this information?

A. You can apply to your bank for copy statements going over as long as you need. You can make an offical request under the Data Protection Act (1998) - you need to make the bank aware that you are making this request under the DPA. They then have 40 days to comply with the law. If they state that bank statements are not covered under the act, point them at the Durant v FSA case, in which the judge ruled that bank statement information is 'personal' information and thus covered under the Data Protection Act.

Extract:

Provided the information in question can be linked to an identifiable individual the following are also examples of personal data:

+ information about the medical history of an individual;

+ an individual's salary details;

+ information concerning an individual�s tax liabilities;

+ information comprising an individual�s bank statements; and

+ information about individuals� spending preferences.

---

Q. My bank wants to charge me for each statement sheet. They want a lot of money - far more than the actual cost of each one. It adds up to a lot of money. What should I do?

A. This has caused a problem for a lot of people. Appy to receive your statements as a data disclosure under the Data Protection Act. You should try this route. It costs only £10. However, an application under the Act may result in the Bank sending you the statements without any further trouble. it is worth also asking the bank to supply you with evidence of manual intervention in any DD refusal or exceeding of overdraft limit. This is bcause the banks sometimes say that these steps need manual intervention and it is this which causes the high charges. However, as far as we know, no bank has yet managed to show that the process is not entirely automated.

---

hiya

thanks for this. I'm sending the letter with the £10.00 maximum statutory fee.

I just got very cross because when I told the lady that I was applying under the DPA, she told me that its nothing to do with DPA and Smile allocate their own charges for statements and so the maximum fee £10.00 under the DPA does not apply as far as Smile is concerned.

So, am I right in insisting that I only pay a maximum of £10.00?

sorry and thanks,

sorry, i have realised that there is a smile forum that this should have gone in,

please can i transfer this across to the Smile forum where it should have been in the first place - sorry, obviously messed this up now

DONE editsign.gif

So the Data Protection Act doesn't apply to Smile?

I wonder if they have some sort of certificate exempting them from UK Law?

As far as I was aware, EVERYONE who operates a business in the UK is bound by UK law.

You don't want statements - you want a list of charges, with figures, dates and description. There is a subtle difference.

If they still refuse, report them to the IC.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

hiya

thanks for transferring this one over,

have sent off my DPA letter to the Balloon Street address together with a cheque for £10.00 and have requested all statements or list of charges etc from August 2002 to September 2005 (I've got statements from last Sept) and I also added an additional paragraph which says:

May I respectfully draw your attention to the case of Durant v FSA 2003 in this case the judge ruled that bank statement information is indeed personal information and thus covered.

just in case those slippery little suckers try and flog me the old its £10.00 per statement line.

fingers crossed!

thanks dave, just had a look at your thread which is really helpful. I'll keep you posted on how I get on, let me know when you hear back from them, I'd be interested in seeing what they say,

thanks a million,

Hiya,

So, I got a reply from Smile this morning which says:

I acknowledge receipt of your request for a copy of the personal data held by this Bank in connection with the above account. Under the Data Protection Act, this is referred to as a Subject Access Request.

I alaos acknowledge receipt of your cheque for £10. Arrangements will now be made for the information requested to be provided within 40 days.

Hoorah - so much for their really unhelpful supervisor at the call centre who informed me I would have to pay £480 this information !

Will keep you posted,

Not sure how they can charge you, especially to that degree, for your own statements. Surely you shouldn't have to pay to get copies (isn't this another unlawful charge? It doesn't cost £10 to print a statement) afterall, it's your money, your information and you private files. Would they charge you at the doctor's if you demanded your personal file and get away with it? I could be being a bit dim but if it's your information surely you are entiliteled to it free of charge no matter how long ago it relates to!

i think what is annoying with Smile and this is my current beef, is that when I requested the dpa information, i was told by a call centre staff member that i would be charged £10 per statement so going back 6 years would cost me something in the region of £480.00.

I told him that I thought he was incorrect, and he checked with his supervisor (I have her name!) and she told him (which, love him, he had the nasty task of telling me in return because she wouldn't speak to me on the phone !) that the dpa does not apply to Smile and that their charges stand at £10 per statement.

Suffice to say, I wrote to them and have received a letter this morning saying that the information requested in my dpa letter will be provided within 40 days.

I wouldn't mind, but it seems to me that the supervisor in question, must be giving out that information to other customers and I bet other people have been put off requesting the information because of the incorrect response from some Smile staff. Its just basic data protection information and I feel that, somebody in her position as supervisor, Smile (as her employer) should make sure their staff know the Data Protection Act law.

I work for an international law firm and do company/commercial and corporate work (which includes financial and banking law) and I have to know the fundamental basics and if I didn't, my boss would be asking me why or would make sure that I did know. I wouldn't be able to give good client service if I didn't know the basics.

sorry, I'm rambling now I know, it just makes me cross when you are given incorrect information. Its just great that I stumbled across this website where I can get information and people help and assist one another otherwise, I would have been lost.

I'm can totally understand your frustration with people like the ones you've had to deal with. My boss would be the same too, i'm responsible for 12 people in my job and its my responsibility to know what i'm talking about after all if i were to give out incorrect information it could create big problems with customers. Also, if it's someting that i'm not sure on i would never take a guess at it. I would always check my facts before giving an answer and that is what would be expected of me.

• 2 months later...

UPDATE

Can you believe these jokers?! honestly, they really try my patience.

I have been totting up how much they have charged me and each month for the last 6 months or so, they have charged me £50.00, being £25.00 for overlimit, and £25.00 late payment fee ... i mean, I would be overlimit if they didn't keep darn well charging me everything two seconds !!!

So, I have my spreadsheet, and I've done my initial letter. Then, imagine my surprise when I get a letter through last week, (they've not bothered replying to my initial letter mind you and they've had 20 days to do that), saying that they want my credit card back and they've put me in default all because I owe £23.00 in arrears ???!!! :confused: I mean, hello, mcfly?!

So have sent an incredibly stroppy letter to their Head of Debt Management, Mr Stephen Mound (who by the way, doesn't even both to sign his own letters!) stating that if they do put me in default, then I'll go to court to get it removed and perhaps they'd like to respond to my letters before they start threatening me!:evil:

Anyway, now I've finished my rant (sorry about that!), have sent LBA, they've got till 23 June to cough up or MCOL here I come!!

xx

• 3 weeks later...

Hiy guys

have been away for the last few weeks but thought I would post you an update regarding the wonderful Smile bank ...:rolleyes:

After sending my LBA, and hearing nothing from Smile, I filed my claim form in the sum of £567.00. I got back from holiday to a letter from the lovely Stephen Mound saying that they had defaulted me :mad: and charged me a further £60.00 in administration costs! :eek: Suffice to say, that I immediately lodged my claim for the amount of £647.23 inc court costs, interest and unlawful charges plus the further £60.00 that they had charged me).

I telephoned Smile on the afternoon of 22 June and spoke to a lovely lady about the matter. She said she was sorry (aren't they always), I said that I did not understand how they could put me in default when I was corresponding with them over my account. She told me that these letters are generated automatically and thats why this has happened (despite a note being on my file that I had written to them, twice!). So, she checked my account and said that Smile had credited me with £350.00 on 21 June. I told her that it was too late as I had already filed my claim (earlier in the morning of 22 June).

I told her that the claim was filed because Smile had not written back to me, and that because Smile decided to block my account, I was unable to log into my account and read any messages!

She said that the account was now unblocked so I could read my messages, (a bit late now!) but I asked her to make a note that I had called.

So, they sent me a message on 23 June saying that they have credited me a further £35.00 and I've sent them a message back saying thanks, and I accept the payment but on condition that this is a partial settlement and that I shall continue to pursue my claim for the remaining amount.

my god, WHY do they make it so difficult?! AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH !

Anyone else had anything similar?:idea:

hope you are well and yours claims are progressing relatively smoothy!

lois xx

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6524 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks