Car insurance Help Desperate!!!

bongobaz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6061 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

received a letter stating car insurance was due from isurance finance company saying they will automatically renew insurance unless i contacted them and cancelled it.

i wrote a letter and sent form to cancel the insurance and direct debit explaining i was not renewing insurance.

aprrox 3 months later found out they had taken 2 payments so contacted bank and stopped the direct debits.

now insurance company threatening court action for rest whole of the insurance money saying they never received the form/letter from me cancelling policy!

is it legal for them to renew without my authority?

is there anything i can do??

please help

Halifax

Settled in Full

Cap One

Settled in Full

Citi Card

Settled in Full

Hi Bongobaz,

From an insurers point of view, they sent you a renewal invite stating they would auto renew unless they heard from you. They never heard from you (even though you sent a letter) therefore the policy auto renewed.

This is easy to rectify. I assume you've had alternate cover elsewhere, simply send a copy of your schedule for your new insurer to isurance, stating the policy was not required as alternate cover was in place.

They should then backdate the cancellation to the renewal date and refund any money taken.

hope this helps

DA

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)

ive not taken any new insurance out. its off road garaged and not being used for a year or so while i carry out repairs to it.

is there anything else i can do??

thanks for the reply

Halifax

Settled in Full

Cap One

Settled in Full

Citi Card

Settled in Full

Its the same principle, as long as you can prove that the cover was not required, they should still give you a full refund. Send them a copy of the SORN notification that confirms the car has been declared off road since the insurance policy renewed and therefore cover has not been required.

DA

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)