• Tweets

• It is important that you do the reading about this subject in the sub- forum. It's not complicated but you need to be in control and I don't think you are. For instance, much of the information you need and also the case transcripts that you're looking for are in the fixed topics at the top of this sub- forum but clearly you didn't know that. You will gain in confidence if you do the reading. Particularly as it now looks as if the mediation has not worked because EVRi have stayed you up and so you may now be going to trial. You need to understand thoroughly what you are doing. We will help you and you will find our support is unstinting but you have to do your part. Please spend a lot of time reading the stories on the sub- forum especially the pinned posts at the top of the sub- forum and then start preparing your court bundle. We have instructions here for everything
    • I have had a secondary thought.  I borrowed £s from a completely separate entity 6y ago. It was personal and unsecured. I was going to repay upon sale of the property. But then repo and I couldn't.  Eventually they applied and got a charging order on the property.  Their lawyers wrote that if I didn't repay they may apply for an order for sale.  I'm not in control of the sale.  The lender won't agree to an order for sale.  The judge won't expedite it/ extract from trial.  Someone here on cag may or may not suggest I can apply for an order v the receiver?  But could I alternatively ask this separate entity with a c.o to carry out their threat and actually make an application to court for an order for sale v the receiver instead?
    • You left the PCN number showing, but no worries, I've redacted it. Euro Car parks are very well known to us.  I've just skimmed through the titles of the latest 100 cases we have with them (I gave up after 100) and, despite all their bluster and threats, in not one have they taken the Cagger to court. You stayed there for 2 hours &:45 minutes.  I'm guessing the limit is 2 hours and 30 minutes, right?  
    • If the claimant fails to draft directions the court can order a Case Management Hearing to set them but normally in Fast Track claims the claimant sets the directions...Unlike small claims track which are always set the court.
    • Not Evris offer, the court offers mediation service.   All claims proceed to hearing if mediation fails /not happen.   Why do you not wish to attend in person to stand your claim ?     Absolutely you must comply with the courts directions or your claim risks being struck out. Preparation for a hearing should happen irrespective of mediation.   https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/460613-suing-a-parcel-delivery-company-when-you-dont-have-a-direct-contract-with-them-–-third-party-rights-copy-of-judgment-available/#comment-5255007   Andy  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Being chased by dca's

Carter25
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6061 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Im hoping someone can give me some advice

Within the last two weeks I have recieved letters from debt collection agencies for four different outstanding debts that I ran up over 9 years ago whilst at uni.

Im at my wits end what to do as I live on my own and struggle as it is. Ive been reading about the limitations act and have prepared some letters based on the templates available but am scared to send them off after reading about some of the tactics these dca's can use. Im also scared by sending them I will make matters worse.

Ive checked my credit files with equifax and have no ccj's or defaults at present. Infact ive tried really hard to build up my credit rating again.

Ive not slept the past few nights and am dreading the post each day, feel sick to the stomach and dont know what to do for the best. I would appreciate anyones advice...

If you haven't made any payments in the last 6 years (or nearly 6 yrs) then do nothing

In any case do nothing yet

Don't pay anything

Don't acknowledge the debt

Wait for them to prove the debt is yours & that they are legally entitled to collect it. If it is collectable then get further advice (here) about what to do next.

Carter 25, firstly - don't panic. Who are the DCA's that are chasing you?

Some DCA's buy up statute barred debts which they hope they can frighten and intimidate people into paying. If you have not acknowledged these debts in writing or made any payments to them in the past 6 years - they cannot enforce payment.

Please try to sleep easy tonight - I know it's hard (I've been there) - especially as you live on your own - but you are in good hands at the CAG. All the help and advice you could possibly need is here. From what you say - I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you know for definate that you have not had any contact in the last 6 years I would just file these letters somewhere in case you need them.

Hope this is helpful

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

At the end of the day it's your call - from experience though I've found that you might get another letter but that's all. They know fine that the debts are stature barred and that they are on a hiding to nothing. I wouldn't waste paper and stamps.

Who are they by the way?

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Please try to stop worrying - there's really no need to get in a state (easily said I know) - have a read round some of the other threads about the same DCA's and you'll see that, apart from the fact you're not alone in this - there is help and advice when you need it to tackle these bully boys.

Finding this site has changed the life of so many people and given them the confidence and strength to rise above DCA intimidation.

As I said, you're in good hands now. Whenever you need to get it off your chest - just log on and post whatever is on your mind - someone will be there to help.

Hi there, first thing to do is stop this losing sleep and worrying nonsense!

If you've made no payment or written acknowledgements in 6 years, and there are no CCJ's then these debts are Statute Barred. Personally I think you absolutely should send the Statute Barred letter because once sent it's against OFT debt collection guidelines to further pursue the accounts.

The Statute Barred letter can be found here;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html#post162366

They aren't breaking any rules pursuing the accounts even if they are S/B until you tell them you won't be paying and for that reason.

Good luck, Dave.

Hi there, first thing to do is stop this losing sleep and worrying nonsense!

If you've made no payment or written acknowledgements in 6 years, and there are no CCJ's then these debts are Statute Barred. Personally I think you absolutely should send the Statute Barred letter because once sent it's against OFT debt collection guidelines to further pursue the accounts.

The Statute Barred letter can be found here;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html#post162366

They aren't breaking any rules pursuing the accounts even if they are S/B until you tell them you won't be paying and for that reason.

Good luck, Dave.

Diskmandave gives excellent advice - do what he suggests and then relax.

Hello C25

Suggest you read a few other threads and you will soon realise you are not alone and then you can choose whichever course of action you are happiest with. If you need any future advice just post and you will get all the support and assistance you need from the marvelous people here.

After finding this site we decided to ignore the initial fishing for victims letters we were sent.

If you decide not to reply, do prepare yourself for the possibility of some intensive phone calls from the dca trying to track you down.

If you get one they are likely to be VERY pushy, bullying almost, in their approach (I remember how sick and drained I felt after receiving my first phone call from J2 and I'm well used to pressure, stress working on the phone).

But remember you don't have to answer their questions.

Keep control of the call, say you do not answer any questions from cold callers & then hang up (thanks to the information on this site I now feel confident enough to play silly buggers with them and see how long I can keep them on the phone before they hang up).

After a few more calls I have realised how empty their threats are and how they rely on scaring & bullying people.

Hope you enjoy a really good nights sleep.

Here'a the relevant part of the guidance;

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

Statute barred debt

2.13 This guidance applies to the pursuit of debt regardless of its age. We will be

carrying out further work on this aspect of debt recovery including analysis of

relevant legislation and practice throughout the UK.

2.14 In the past we have dealt with a number of statute barred debt cases governed by

the Limitation Act 1980, which applies to England and Wales. Based on that

experience our position with regard to England and Wales remains:

a. we accept legally the debt exists

b. it is the methods by which the debt is collected that can be

unfair as follows:

• it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from

the creditor during the relevant limitation period

• if a creditor has been in regular contact with a debtor before the debt

is statute barred, then we do not consider it unfair to continue to

attempt to recover the debt

• it is unfair to mislead debtors as to their rights and obligations, for

example, falsely stating or implying that the debt is still legally