• Tweets

• Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Claim Has Been Stayed!!!!

Azazal23
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6060 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Early this month i recieved a rather alarmig letter from nationwide to tell me a laptop had been stolen from an employees home. Letter went on to say whilst this contained customer information, in no way had our account and online account been compromised. The information was being used for marketing purposes.

I wrote a letter back asking specifically what information had been stolen and what exactly the informationwas being used for at the time because i have not given my consent for my personal details to be used in such a way.

They have wrote a letter back saying its good that i am so vigilant and concerned etc... but and i quote.

"We realise you have other questions and we're not trying to be obstructive by not giving additional information. We are following the advice of the police and out security experts, which is not to release further details"

W.T.F!!! If its my information how can i not be entitled to know exactly what has and has not been disclosed. I have been a victim of fraud about 2 years ago with another bank, whilst it was a minor amount it took nearly 2 years to sort out, and they nearly defaulted me in the process.

Does anyone know any contract or DPA law that i can quote in order to make them disclose this information.

Also has anyone else recieved any letters like this

Barry

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer your question yes I recieved the same letter. I work for Nationwide and have all of my accounts with them. I have PM'd you with some info. If there was something to worry about I would be worried but I'm not...

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

indebtstudent: Many thanks for the PM. I understand your coments, i was actually unaware this had been in the media recently. As far as i am aware not everyone has received these letters, i can understand why the information stolen has not been made public, but i am furious that i am being denied the right i know what information was stolen of mine.

I have been the victim of fraud not so long ago and whilst it was on a very small scale but it took over 12 months to get sorted out and i was nealr y defaulted in the process. This was done with only the smallest amount of my information. Which is why i am so adamant on getting the details that were stolen.

Nationwide probably only went pub lic on this incident becuase it was leeked to the press.

All i want is to know what information of MINE has been compromised. No one elses, i am entitled to this by law, and thanks to this site and the people who are on it i now have the information in order to get what i want.

Thanks again.

Not everyone will have recieved the letters, eleven million members are a lot to write to (this will be the no after merger with Portman is complete, can't remember previous number lol).

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

Oh and I don't know the 'ins and outs' of data such as this. Let me know what people are and are not entitled to I would be very interested to know.

If I concentrate really hard, and put my suspicious head on I would answer thus...

The reason they are reluctant to supply the data is because they don't know exactly what was on the laptop. The only people I know of who have laptops are the SFC who give advice on Nationwide products.

The only info on their would be the reports they had typed up for recommendations to customer's. Thing is, if they have a late appointment, they would (I guess) type this up at home. so unless they back stuff up nobody would really know what had chancged since five pm.

Hope you get the info and set your mind at rest. For what it's worth I don't think there's anything to be concerned about but I can see why, given ur experience ur vigilant.

Azaza 23 & lIndebtstudent

The Seventh Principle of the Data Protection Act states;

"Appropriate technical and organistaional measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destructionof, or damage to , personal information

I've redlined the part of this that this comes under.

Level of security must be appriate to (i) the harm that might result from a breach of security.

In other words there is no way your info should have been taken away from the firewall of Nationwides main computer frame you have a strong case for compensation not only from what has been stolen but the distress this is causing you and the potential damage this could do to you in the future never mind they say it was for marketing, it should not have been in that guys possession at home.

Of course they would say nothing to worry about just because they say so they are not sure what info was there, no personal info on anyone even if it contained no account info but how are you to know that for certain, Banks do tell lies when they know it can't be proved any different.

sparkie1723

Many Thanks Sparkie, and indebtstudent for your posts.

I am really not being paranoid, i know the chances of someone accessing my account is very limited but i would still like to know what has been disclosed or compromised.

It is very worrying to think they do not know whos or what information was on the laptop. The fact that they are not disclosing this make me think two things

a. They dont know what or who s information was on it, so they ahve just sent out letters to cover there arse!

b. It was quite sensitive information, possibly to do with marketing and they cannot disclose it becuase there would be a stink if people found out what had gone walkies.

I had not considered a claim to be honest but if i have to start fightlng to get this info then i may consider this angle

You can read the story here....

Q&A: Nationwide data theft | This is Money

I dont think what ever i say there are going to hand over the information. This could take some time i think, does any one who what are my rights with regards to my data, and the police investigation. Are any of my rights suspeneded or do they not apply if as they say may impeed a police investigation.

I cant see how as its my data, i am not gaining anything i do not already know apart from what was taken.

I am trying toconstruct a reply now, wondering on what avenue is best to take

I'll be honest I have no idea what to say. The post relating to a specific section of the data protection act seems usable.

For what it's worth I'll give you the rundown of Nationwide's complaints procedure. First complaint, or indeed any expression of dissatisfaction by a customer, is recorded as feedback.

If you get back after initial complaint it goes to stage one complaint. If you get back again it's stage two and after that I think it goes to the CEO so I would keep forcing the issue if I were you.

The more I read about this the more I get a feeling there is a data protection issue with employee's using a laptop at home. I know it is only a small number of people, bascially the mobile financial advisor's which are few and far between.

I might have a discreet word with one of ours see what info I can glean...

Ok well i have pretty much finished the reponse, basically a tweeked SAR. Also instigating their complaints proceedure aswell, so at some point i can get a final response and then take it further if need be, and i get the feeling this will be a long one.

Keep checking back, if anyone has suggestions or ideas there are more than welcome

My reply, any suggestions anything i may have not covered

Data Protection Act 1998 - Subject Access Request

Dear Ms ......

Thank you for your letter dated 25 January 2005. I feel disappointed that you have not been able to action my requests. You stated in your letter that if I was dissatisfied with your response you would refer the matter to Kay Nash, I assume she deals with customer complaints if you could pass this request on to her I would be grateful.

Under the above act I want you to disclose exactly what information of mine has been stolen, lost or compromised as a result of the laptop that was stolen from a Nationwide employees home last year. I do not require specific details of where, when and how this theft took place, but only information directly relating to myself and my personal details. This information is mine, I own it. I have given consent for you to hold and process my information in accordance with the Data Protection Act and the contract I signed when I opened my account. No where does it say you are allowed to withhold my information from me for any reason.

Your letter also points out that if I am the victim of fraud and have adhered to the terms and conditions of my contract then Nationwide will cove any monies stolen from my account. Can you also confirm you will cover me for identity theft and damage to my credit rating/record should such a theft occur as a result of your negligence. If you cannot confirm this then I require you to immediately issue me with a new account number, in to combat this threat.

I also would like clarification for what purposes was the laptop and my information being used for. You said in your initial letter and I quote “the laptop contained some customer information to be used mainly for marketing purposes” as I do not believe I have consented to my information being used this way I require a full explanation as to exactly what the information was being used for. If it was marketing, I require proof of my consent.

You have 40 days in which to reply with the Subject Access Request, although I sincerely hope it does not take that length of time considering the seriousness of the situation. I have also enclosed a cheque for £10 which is the statutory maximum fee, please note if accepted I intend to claim this back.

I would like a reply to all requests and questions raised in this letter, if you cannot provide the information requested then I require a full explanation as to why.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, had replies from Nationwide basically saying they will not release the information to me. They are also not prepared to release it under the SAR DPA also.

Can anyone suggest where to go next, the Data Commisioner & The Financial Ombudsman. Get the feeling there not going to be much use

I would write back and inform them, that should they fail to release this information which appears not too difficult for them to supply, ( within say 7 days) that you will apply to the Court for an order to force them to supply, and add under the circumstances that you have no doubt at all that the Court will order them to as the court will be interested as to why they wish to with hold it from you. plus they will have to bear the costs of the application and the order.

Have they returned your £ 10

Sparkie 1723

Cheers Sparkie, i shall start looking into how to make the application to the court. Bankfodder was also interested iin hwo i got on so hopefully he can point me in the right direction. With regards to my £10 the cheeky b*stads wrote "We note your intention to claim a refund of teh statutory £10 fee, but we believ it would be inappropriate to meet this request".

Its like a red rag to a bull, they must want me to take this futher. I am quite concerned now, becuase either they must not know whats on the laptop or its full if really personal data they should have never been taken away from the mainframe.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/nationwide/65771-nationwide-fined-fsa-security.html

didn't want you to miss this one. Does that mean any investigation has ended?.

Knowledge is Power

Go get em!

Have I been of any help to you? if so please click my scales to the left to enhance my reputation. Thank you. If not PM me.

Nationwide - won claim 

Advice & opinions of mahharg are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/nationwide/65771-nationwide-fined-fsa-security.html

didn't want you to miss this one. Does that mean any investigation has ended?.

Well the FSA's Investigation has ended and landed NAtionwide eitha bigish Fine. I havnt read through the whole case as yet though.

Ian

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

Well it basically opens all this up becuase i have had a final response from Nationwide, saying they have no more too add, there position is they do not want to release any more details with regards to what information was on the laptop.

I think there is scope for a massive claim here, the FSA has basically done the hard work for me (us) and Nationwide have addmitted the breach and lapses in security and accepted the fine.

I have been in touch and left a message with Catherine Harris of the FSA who s contact number is on the bottom of the report. Maybe she can be of some help.