• Tweets

• Hello I'm new to this forum therefore apologies in advance if this subject has been done to death already. I received a parking ticket issued by Euro carparks in 2017 although was legitimately parked on private land owned by Majestic in Worcester. The car was registered to me as a disabled driver and leased to me through the Motability scheme. Numerous online feeds were suggesting this ticket would be an 'invoice' not a 'fine' if it non intent to pay could be shown. All the feedback was suggesting to ignore it because to make contact would constitute a 'contract' between ECP and myself in law. This was endorsed by Martin Lewis so I thought it must be legit. ECP gave up mailing me after a year and I presumed that was the end of matters. In December 2021 my son who has a similar name but lives in Liverpool, realised a CCJ has been entered against his name for defaulting on a debt now exceeding £300 The company DCB insist the information is correct and would have been gleaned from a trace and search using DVLA?  This is pure fabrication. My son doesn't even drive. How can an organisation make something up for a court to register in default? DCB will not talk to me due to data protection and my son is potentially facing enforcement action over something he has nothing at all to do with. I cannot get judgement set aside because I am not registered in default. Thank you for reading.  
    • It has gone in now recieved last night and acknowledged on my online account today.   Would overdales need a copy of the defence statement I have sent in with it being a holding defence? or keep them out of it?   If I am defending them in court if it goes that far they'll just see that I have defended the claim but not know the reasons why. You've suggested in the past they might drop the case before court but can't drop the case if they don't know the reasons of why I am defending?
    • we have until next Wednesday to settle or then go to mediation or to a hearing    they have filed this with the court.    is this anything to do with the CPR letter I sent to dcbl?  Is this their response?   also I find the timing of this a bit off given that a SAR has been sent to ukpc last week 🤷‍♀️
    • Any positive advice gratefully received. Last minute I know but we’ve got a possession hearing this coming Monday and I’m terrified we’re going to lose our home. We’re £100k in arrears  (yes, I know) having had the most awful 4 years. Our franchise business suffered a downturn when we lost an account with a department store chain that went under and another major department store up north along with a number of franchisees. At the same time, our daughter became very ill with major depression and psychosis leading to severe self harm and suicide attempts. I had to give up work to look after her as our local CAMHS was so understaffed plus I would normally have customers come to the house, something that was impossible due to our daughter’s illness as it escalated so quickly. She was hearing voices and seeing things and pretty much went mad for a couple of years. Her home and keeping everything the same in it, to the extent that we could barely move anything, became increasingly important to her as she was so paranoid about any change. She was eventually also diagnosed with very high functioning ASD/Asperger’s which explained some of her obsessive behaviour and had been something she had apparently been masking for years which resulted in the depression and psychosis. My husband also suffered depression due to the business collapsing and our daughter’s illness and some days was bedridden.  We kept Santander informed at all times that we were unable to pay the mortgage during this time and sent evidence of the severity of our daughters illness.  We then had the pandemic which affected our business still further. During this time, Santander just asked us to keep them informed as to how we were doing and that nothing would be done with regards the continued arrears. Meanwhile, of course they kept us on a super high interest rate just under 5% (while they advertised their sub 1% deals) and piled on those charges.  Our daughter’s drs finally found a combination of meds that helped her and she was able to start uni with support (she is studying physics) although she still needs everything the same at home to help her cope when she has a bad depressive episode or an ASD episode. She is on maximum doses of anti-depressants and anti-psychotics,  has twice weekly counselling and regular checks from uni security when she is there. Thankfully they have a very good disability unit. The head of the physics dept says she’s the most gifted student he’s had in his 10 years there.  My husband’s depression is getting better, he has found a separate job and we are restructuring our business. He has also started a consultancy and has a number of agreements and contracts in place that he is working on which would enable us to make lump sum payments. We told Santander last summer that things were starting to improve  and asked if we could agree a payment arrangement to either change our mortgage to interest only with the sale of the home as the repayment vehicle (we have 7 years remaining) or change to part repayment/part interest as at the moment the capital and arrears are too much. We have around 65-70% equity in our home. Santander refused to discuss any arrangement other than immediate full payment of the arrears and the monthly mortgage payments and began proceedings the day after restrictions on doing so were lifted.  Surely having, in effect, allowed us to build up 4 years of arrears due to our circumstances it is unreasonable for them to suddenly demand immediate full payment as soon as they find out our daughter is not on 24 hour suicide watch atm? The person I spoke to in the Vulnerable Customer dept even suggested she must be “fine” if she could manage to go to university! They’re obviously well trained in the complexities of mental health….not.  Given our circumstances, shouldn’t Santander  work with us and give us time, now that we are able, to get back on track? How do they think that after the 4 years we have been through we can magically summon up £100k just like that?! Losing our home would mean losing our business (I have a home workshop I need for what I do) just as we are building it back, not to mention the shock to our daughter who obviously knows nothing of this. I have spent 4 years getting her to a place where she’s spending more time thinking about quantum physics than trying to kill herself and the shock of being forced from her home would take her right back to the worst of times. Given the improvement in our finances and equity in our home, surely the judge would allow us to continue to make partial payments (we have paid 4 months of the interest on the capital and arrears since October) or interest only, which we can more than afford now and would give us the ability to concentrate on improving our situation, something that is nigh on impossible atm with this hearing hanging over us like a Sword of Damocles. We are confident that we will soon be able to make lump sum payments but this isn’t going to happen overnight. Husband due to hear tomorrow re: promotion and pay rise plus a retainer for a consultancy so we’re keeping our fingers crossed. It’s all heading the right way but I was literally told by Santander it was just unfortunate that things were getting better for us when they’d decided to take us to court! Apologies for the length of this. If anyone has managed to read it, I would be v grateful for any advice on how to tackle things on Monday. We have sent in an extensive defence pack outlining our circumstances and proposals and will have a duty solicitor on the day but otherwise we’re on our own here. Have we got  😕    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• Recommended Topics

Shoe Em vs Argos Store Card

Shoe Em

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5191 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Exciting summary of the not very much that has happened so far:

06.09.07 I send off S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)

10.09.07 A Mr Shafiq Sunni writes for me to phone him for urgent chat

10.09.07 (same date!) we also receive conveniently blurry printouts

And so here we are. Questions questions questions...

Does anyone know what Other D.B or Fin Chgs might be? I'm assuming they are both varieties of charge as they have the usual £17.00 & £7.00 type amounts, but they both also contain a couple of really high numbers (over £100) so I'm a little confused. As much as I'd dearly love to claim all of this back I thought I'd better double check first :-)

Since I repayed the majority of my account through the infamous Moorcroft I am wondering where I stand on claiming interest. Would like to claim the 27+% that I understand others have successfully claimed but I don't want to make a mistake. Mysteriously these screen shots list no interest at all!

So...

1.Is there a link for an interest calculator for the compound interest?

2.Do we know of anywhere I can translate these screenshots?

3.Does anyone know why I would have charges of hundreds of £'s?

4.Could these be the fees of the evil Moorcoft?

Would love to hear from anyone with answers, knowledge or happy stories of triumph over Argos. I assume they have charged me interest as a £700 account cost me the best part of £2,000 so I would love to cause them a little twinge of discomfort:p

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Emily x

hello and thank you for your comments, firstly, lets not run before we can walk with regards to interest. start at the start with the basics (sorry, where else would you start?) anyway, if you are new to the site then as every one else says - read around. the FAQ's and such are a real must read to get a grip of the legal issues involved. you have your SAR and they have replied, just ask yourself - have they answered it in full to your satisfaction? i think not.

I am not a legal expert and my words are my opinion only and do not constitute legal advice.

1.Is there a link for an interest calculator for the compound interest?

2.Do we know of anywhere I can translate these screenshots?

3.Does anyone know why I would have charges of hundreds of £'s?

4.Could these be the fees of the evil Moorcoft?

to answer your questions:

1. yes, there are spreadsheets on this site that will do it but you have other points to consider before worrying over compound interest.

2. no, they are deliberately stalling. they are in breach of the data protection act so you need to pursue this.

3. no but the SAR is suppose to answer this question. continue to be polite but firm to resolve this. by the way im taking them to court about this very point.

4. yes they could be, but you dont know that so that is why you have the SAR.

I am not a legal expert and my words are my opinion only and do not constitute legal advice.

Well the above was supposed to address your previous question but has arrived at the end of your points so let's deal with that...

I'm not new to the site, I already had success with Abbey, but I needed answers specific to Argos. If you know what the abbreviations mean I would be very grateful if you would share. As long as these are all reclaimable charges I really don't care to get into the minutiae to be honest; my partner is disabled & they were happy to harass him for the charges so I'd just like to know what is reclaimable & turn the tables

From their prompt response I think Argos know they've misbehaved so I'd like to dispense with this as quickly as possible.

I don't mean that to sound snotty, I just don't want this to turn into another Abbey-style fiasco if I can help it :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Emily x

I'm not new to the site, I already had success with Abbey, but I needed answers specific to Argos. If you know what the abbreviations mean I would be very grateful if you would share.

sorry if i offended you in anyway, i can assure you i was trying to be helpful. As i have said, i am taking them to court to get those very answers (hopefully).

From their prompt response I think Argos know they've misbehaved so I'd like to dispense with this as quickly as possible..

unlikely, i think. just based on my own dealings. they like to drag it out.

No, not sure what you mean by this would help if you did not abbreviate:) I have response to my S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) & pretty much just need to know what their abbreviations mean to be honest!

My apologies, again. Consumer credit agreements, like your argos card, are governed by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. under sections 77-79 you have the right to request a copy of your agreement.

the act places certain conditions on credit agreements and providers, but mainly it sets out what a legally enforceable agreement is (argos are renowned for not having correct agreements) and placing certain limits on how long your creditors have to reply to your request.

if they breach these conditions then your agreement can become unenforceable at law. if they do not have a correctly documented, executed agreement then the whole debt can become unenforceable at law.

i am being vague deliberately as i believe these points of law require alot of research before any posable action but could provide you with another cause of action.

Thank you SO much nfi247!

That was exactly what I needed, a concise clear explanation. I shall write off today for the CCA (!) & also ask them to provide a translator for all those pesky codes :)

Shall keep this updated as things progress. I knew those statements came back a little too easily ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Emily x

Hi I am also claiming against Argos store card. I received rubbish screenshots too. The other DB section was all my late payment fees mixed in with ppi I had not requested. The fees were sometimes £10, then £14 then £17.50. A few were £28 but that was obviously two £14 charges together. The ppi stopped when acc went into default so all left on DB section then was £17.50 late fees which were much clearer then. Keep us posted how you get on. Kelly:)

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Okay they have entirely ignored me, & having waited for the post to catch itself back up I'm going to file with MCOL on monday. Can someone now please point me to where I can find the high rate interest calculator?

Have warned them that if I did not hear I would be charging them interest at 28.7% as they have charged me. Now I don't know how to do that :)

HELP!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Emily x

Having just read 90% of a 19 page thread I discovered that none of the links to calculators work :( so I am here to renew my request for help.

I really need to find the CCI calculator - or someone mathematically minded who knows their stuff :)

I am claiming £228.40 if you include the 8%, but for the purposes of CCI the amount I am working with is £140 taken in four payments from 11.07.05 to 11.10.05 (there is lots more to query more recently but since we are still waiting on the information I'm keeping life simple & sticking with what they have acknowledged). If anyone out there can help I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks guys!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Emily x

Holy underestimated interest Batman! :(

I need help!!!

I used the interest calculator above & calculated my interest at a rate of 28.7%. I added this figure to my final letter before court & sent it off recorded as per instruction.

BUT...

Reviewing the paperwork to claim on MCOL this week I noticed a glaring error. My interest calculation at 8% that I worked out at the beginning of this claim gave me £88.40 interest owed. However, the calculated 28.7% gave me an interest total of £111.61 :confused: I may be missing the principles involved (forgive me if this is glaringly obvious) but surely just the 28% interest by this calculation would stand at £309.40 by now (ie. three lots of 8% + one lot of 4% by my poor addled brain).

1. Am I losing my marbles?

2. If I'm correct is it too late to revise my request to them before I file with MCOL?

Any tips/advice/clear thinking gratefully received :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Emily x