EBAY & Robinson Way

Licky
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6063 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I am new to this site and desperately need some advice.

Back in June, Ebay started emailing me to say that the credit card that I paid all my fees through was due to expire and that I should update the details. I knew that my card was not due to expire for another 6 months and so I ignored the emails. That is until they suspended my account in July as my fees were now overdue.

I believed that I contacted Ebay to tell them that the details surrounding my credit card were correct but I didn't get a response. Finally, when they emailed me to tell me that they would forward the debt to a DCA I paid via their 'make a one time payment' section.

Subsequently they reactivated my account and I have sold at least 6 items in the past month alone. However, I don't believe that they notified the DCA and they are now chasing me for £8. As my Ebay fees are now clear I can only assume that this is a fee that the DCA are charging me directly.

They have bombarded my parents with phone messages and somehow they even got of my boyfriend's number. My mum got fed up of the calls and told them last week that I'd moved out and she doesn't know where I am. I think that's what prompted the letter from DCA.

The letter was dated 7 Sept but I only received it yesterday (11 Sept) and the bill needs to be paid by 10am tomorrow (12 Sept). What are my rights? I do not even know what the debt is for and I don't want to call Robinson Way in case they trace my phone number (which they don't have). They are threatening me with court action unless I pay.

I have had dealings with the company for a friend. This company are ruthless in their persuit even when you prove the debt no longer exists.

You need to contact e bay and ask them to confirm that the account debt is clear. Then inform them that they need to recall the debt from RW. Tell them that you require a letter stating that the account is clear. Send a copy of this letter to RW. All this can be done on the phone to get the ball rolling, but you MUST send letters also today.

Then contact RW, inform them that e bay are recalling the debt as it no longer exists (include the letter from e bay). Tell them if they continue to chase the debt you will report them, also inform them that they are to cease contacting you. Tell them you will consider further calls to be harrasment and you will inform the police should this continue.

Ensure that you have correspondance for all your dealings with them, keep copies of any information you send.

Don't panic - if you have paid the bill there will be a record of it:

• Assuming you made the payment via paypal? Do you not have a receipt in your ebay (paypal) account showing the payment made? If you look in your Paypal account - History section - you will see all transactions both in and out of the account.
  • You should also have a confirmation email from Ebay thanking you for your payment (it's usually instant)
  • What about your credit card statement, that would show the payment - if you don't have it you can ask for a duplicate.

Hope this helps

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Thanks for your advice everyone!

I always pay with my credit card as my boyfriend has had problems with paypal in the past. I have my credit card billl with me so I will copy this for the time being and send it off to Robinson Way along with a coverong letter. I will follow up with a telephone call tomorrow morning.

I have also sent Ebay two emails this morning but they are not exactly very quick at responding to any messages.

RW are very difficult to deal with, I dont believe they will accept the bill as confirmation that you have settled the account. This is because they believe the account is with them and not E bay. What you need to do is get E bay to recall the account from RW. This is your best bet to get this situation resolved.

I'd be inclined to write to RW stating that the account is settled, and that it is for them to prove that the alleged debt exists and not the other way round. Suggest they take further instruction from their client, because attempting to collect a debt that does not exist is contrary to s.40 of the Administration of Justice Act.

Alternatively, invite them to go to Court, where you will be happy to lay the facts before the Judge.

I'd be inclined to write to RW stating that the account is settled, and that it is for them to prove that the alleged debt exists and not the other way round. Suggest they take further instruction from their client, because attempting to collect a debt that does not exist is contrary to s.40 of the Administration of Justice Act.

Alternatively, invite them to go to Court, where you will be happy to lay the facts before the Judge.

All this hassle for 8 quid just shows how sad and desperate RWC are getting

I agree with Scarlet Pimpernel on this one. Its Robberscum Ways duty to prove the debt exists. I would however contact ebay asking for written proof that there is NO DEBT and let RW spend over £8 in calls and nasty threatograms. I definately would NOT send them my credit card statement. The information those clowns could gain from that is frightenining. When you get the proof from ebay photocopy it and send it to the Morons from Mount Street. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES speak to RWC on the telephone.

I agree, chasing £8 is a waste of time!

I've sent off letters to both Ebay and RW today by recorded delivery and I've taken your advice and haven't included my bank statement. I've also asked RW to let me know what the debt is in relation to and asked them to prove that it exists. It will be interesting to see what response I get.