• Tweets

• Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

OFT may compromise on bank fees

SL56
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6059 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A look to the future: Its TESCO baby.

Seeing the writing on the wall you would think that most banks would like to take market share by stopping all charges on their accounts. However they will not do this. they will comply with the FSA regs on the issue to the letter.

However at some point customers will still be fed up of paying even £12. The problem is that when you're selling fresh air its difficult to retain customer satisfaction.

At some point someone (I reckon Tesco) will wade into the retail banking market and start mopping up all the customers who currently hate their bank. Their account will be good: with a clubcard, no overdraft fees AND it will pay interest. They will do well. Too well. The rest of the banks will mutter. Then they will try and follow suit. It wont work. By then we'll all be banking at TESCO.

The crux of the matter is that banks are currently sending customers away with an empty shopping bag that they are paying through the nose for. Tesco know that this does not fly. They would rather make lots of little bits of money from you. This will drive down margins and banks profits. Tesco will become Britains biggest bank. The bank execs will wonder at what point they went wrong.

Banks: You've seen the writing on the wall. Don't say you had no warning. This will be seen in the future as a crucial fork in the road.

Tesco uses RBS at the moment for CC etc.

Great idea plant the seed in there heads!!!!

A look to the future: Its TESCO baby.

Seeing the writing on the wall you would think that most banks would like to take market share by stopping all charges on their accounts. However they will not do this. they will comply with the FSA regs on the issue to the letter.

However at some point customers will still be fed up of paying even £12. The problem is that when you're selling fresh air its difficult to retain customer satisfaction.

At some point someone (I reckon Tesco) will wade into the retail banking market and start mopping up all the customers who currently hate their bank. Their account will be good: with a clubcard, no overdraft fees AND it will pay interest. They will do well. Too well. The rest of the banks will mutter. Then they will try and follow suit. It wont work. By then we'll all be banking at TESCO.

The crux of the matter is that banks are currently sending customers away with an empty shopping bag that they are paying through the nose for. Tesco know that this does not fly. They would rather make lots of little bits of money from you. This will drive down margins and banks profits. Tesco will become Britains biggest bank. The bank execs will wonder at what point they went wrong.

Banks: You've seen the writing on the wall. Don't say you had no warning. This will be seen in the future as a crucial fork in the road.

Haha - Tesco needs no seeds planting.........they've been eger to get on with this for a while....but this may be just the right time if they can get systems in place etc...........

A £35 pound bank charge is not a charge for a service. Its theft.

2. Banks will have to offer customers a 'basic' bank account that has a solo or electron card and cannot go overdrawn under any circumstances.

Not true. I have a Solo card and i've still got charged, so 'under any circumstances' is not true.

There is NO bank account at the moment where you will not get charged for returned payments.

If the banks do agree lets say £12 per item as a charge and you can't claim this back then what reason would they have to withdraw from the test case and pay the claims now?

Surley they would prefer to wait until the test case has finnished which could be several years and then say right we set the limit at £12 as the test case is only for if the unfair terms and conditions apply not how much should be charged.

Wouldn't be suprised if the banks wait until the OFT publishes its findings in Dec 07 then the banks agree with what they say is a fair amount which is most prob going to be around £12 as with the CCards and then settle the claims, but i expect a lot of people would still go through the courts for the full amount as with CCards. But i guess a lot of people would just take the offer and the banks would save ££££££££'s

Or drag the test case on as long as poss then agree to charge £12

Ha Ha,

Thats the best bit.....they won't withdraw from the test case initially.......but they will offer to settle claims that are outstanding.....which means that if you have a case in court you will have to take the offer or wait until they formally drop the test case (which I reckon will be late 2008)8)8) This senario would solve a lot of problems.

Which is why.....if your case is in court......you will have to take the cash....or wait......:-)

Remember: Banks CANT drag this one out. There are too many negatives in doing so. Stratigically they have to move forward. Think what the consumer reaction will be in 3 months time? I can see demo's on the streets, outside branches etc etc........much better to just pay and get it over with.....all they need to agree on now is a figure.

Also: Say it does go to court. The banks would probably get a 'fair' ruling of £2-3 and I would want 5 years worth of interest @ 8% for waiting. The banks get off the hook cheaper this way.

And: Put it this way - how many people do you you think consider their banks a safe place to go for a mortagage at the moment. They are losing trust big time.

If there is not going to be a Court case, then what is to stop us going to Court and reclaiming all our charges since Judges are not hoodwinked by the banks over this "service" the banks are apparently providing.

The Courts will need proof that £12[if that is going to be the OFT target figure] is the actual cost to return a cheque etc and if they cannot do that then banks will still lose regardless of any directive from the OFT.

If there is not going to be a Court case, then what is to stop us going to Court...............

The Courts will need proof that £12[if that is going to be the OFT target figure] is the actual cost to return a cheque etc.

If the test case doesn't go ahead we'll presumably be able to go ahead with our claims, as before. And the banks will then continue to pay up in full, as before (but maybe after some initial blustering), because they still won't allow these claims to be determined in court.

So, the courts won't need proof of the banks' costs, because the claims won't be heard in the courts.

There are only so many new stores you can open.......then what do you do?

Put it this way......if Tesco WERE thinking of going into the UK banking market.......then now would be a good time to go about it. Hey....they could even buy Northern Rock (which is undergoing a bank run at this very moment)

Northern Rock customers queue for cash as crisis hits high street - Telegraph

Tesco are in bed with the RBS group (which are huge when you look into what brands they deliver e.g. Churchills, Privilege, Direct Line,Lombard, Mint, One Account, Streamline, Worldpay etc).

They are actually considered to be the financial arm of TESCO (or would TESCO be the supermarket chain of RBS?);)

27th April - Requested Statements

13th May - Received Statements:D

15th May - Preliminary request for £4780 sent.:D

16th May - Royal Mail confirm Letter received.:D

23rd May - Received Letter considering claim. :grin:

30th May - Letter Before Action sent. :D

10th July - Times Up!! FOS claim going in.

16th July - Measly 30% of claim offered as goodwill

17th July - Rejected offer letter sent

25th July - Acknowledgement of Reject Letter received

26th July - Screwed over by the OFT,Banks, FSA & FOS all in one go.:evil:

Never even felt it happen.

If the banks won't do it themselves, they are probably not going to allow Tesco or other clients for whom they provide the banking back-end to do it.

Think about it, if Tesco, Asda etc were to suddenly offer free in-credit banking with low borrowing rates and £2.50 penalty charge, it will affect the banks like RBS themselves, from whom Tesco will take customers.

Are the big banks gonna allow their lucrative profits to be taken by the likes of Tesco?

No chance! As you say Tifo, they stand to lose too much, and I doubt if TESCO would "bite the hand that feeds it" so to speak. Without RBS there is no Tesco Personal Finance.

27th April - Requested Statements

13th May - Received Statements:D

15th May - Preliminary request for £4780 sent.:D

16th May - Royal Mail confirm Letter received.:D

23rd May - Received Letter considering claim. :grin:

30th May - Letter Before Action sent. :D

10th July - Times Up!! FOS claim going in.

16th July - Measly 30% of claim offered as goodwill

17th July - Rejected offer letter sent

25th July - Acknowledgement of Reject Letter received

26th July - Screwed over by the OFT,Banks, FSA & FOS all in one go.:evil:

Never even felt it happen.

Well.....if Tesco put together their own back end systems then there would be no problem. But plenty of organisations would offer solutions. Do we not have the most competitive financial services market in the world? If RBOS wouldn't play ball....then someone would. If no one would then Tesco could build it themselves. Its not like they are short of the capital and the right access to skills and staff.

or they might just buy an bank....Northern Rock, A&L?

This is what their account should look like:

Free everyday account - no overdraft - no ability to go into one. If there is no money in your account - the direct debit or transaction bounces or is rejected - no charge.

1. Clubcard points on every purchase

2. Tiered interest on credit balance.

3. Pay money in (free) and withdraw ant Tesco and Post office and any cash machine.

4. Free withdrawals, deposits, transfers, foreign transactions, bill payments etc....a genuinely FREE account.

Called......The TESCO FREE account.

They could make their money on the cross selling, the fact that clubcard points would tie you to the Tesco brand, and the difference between deposit interest and invested amounts. Easy. Peasy.

Well.....if Tesco put together their own back end systems then there would be no problem.

It's not easy or as cheap ... as you think.

And Tesco are first and foremost a grocer of 'pile em high sell em low' products. That's what they're good at and it makes them very good money so why risk spending money on volatile financial markets?

They would never make themselves a bank, not in the UK anyway.

This is what their account should look like:

Free everyday account - no overdraft - no ability to go into one. If there is no money in your account - the direct debit or transaction bounces or is rejected - no charge.

1. Clubcard points on every purchase

2. Tiered interest on credit balance.

3. Pay money in (free) and withdraw ant Tesco and Post office and any cash machine.

4. Free withdrawals, deposits, transfers, foreign transactions, bill payments etc....a genuinely FREE account.

Called......The TESCO FREE account.

"Now available in your local store and post office. Just show your Tesco till receipt to the value of £50 or more to receive our FREE paying in and withdrawal facilities", much like you need to show to receive a discount on your Tesco petrol now.

Small print : "to qualify for our FREE account you must spend a minimum of £200 per month at Tesco. Monthly charges apply otherwise. Charges could apply at any time to any service at a rate specified by Tesco".

Now that's more like what it might look like ....

"Small print : "to qualify for our FREE account you must spend a minimum of £200 per month at Tesco. Monthly charges apply otherwise. Charges could apply at any time to any service at a rate specified by Tesco".

sigh.......yeah.......stilll........ahhhhhh sod this......I'm leaving the country..........I've had enough.

(and keeping all my money in gold bullion and cash)

In other news: I have it on good authority that the local County Couts are being bombarded with request for stays to be lifted and they are none too happy with doing all the work. They will now be putting pressure on the FSA to come up with a solution to allow claims to progress - this may be the straw that broke the camels back (so to speak) - in getting rid of teh FSA waiver.