• Tweets

• Agree it is not a modification that needs to be disclosed to Insurers as changing the seats has not changed the risk.  
    • Frpm David Frost and Robert Jenrick: 'Conservatives must show we respect the votes in 2016 and 2019 and not give the Opposition the chance to undo the benefits of leaving the EU'   Sweep away the Brexit gloom – or Labour will unravel a huge gain ARCHIVE.PH archived 22 Apr 2024 05:47:50 UTC  
    • Please please help we were miss sold full fibre by EE July 22  Install couldn’t go ahead no equipment sent and no. Survey it was hell  foind out no full fibre in road so we had to go back to cooper no choice we involved. Ceo and they put in a man from customer resolution s  he was vile he told me I had to go to engineers  something very odd about the ex resolution s in bt basically they took my drive up said they Would put ducting in ready for full fibre we have got £ 40 for a hours upon hours phones stress and more told to go to ombudsman  then bill was £35 we called twice told it was that price as they had treated us appalling two weeks later all sky package gets pulled we call again our bill goes to 165 the next two weeks was hell trying to get yo bottom why it’s off our package it was all on in the end I spent a day on the phone  341 mins was the call anyway I got to the bottom it was this resolution man coveting up the other issue another deadlock  to cover it all up  they hide data  ee did so couldn’t get the miss sell in writing I have now only from sept  Basically now we tried getting full fibre and they have found my drive had to be taken up again which has sunk .  The engineer has placed the wrong ducting again under my drive and need s to be taken to again apparently and the pipe sticks up middle of the drive near gate not behind look so odd it’s a big as a drain pipe open to water and it’s below touching the electrical cables to hot tub . I was sent a letter from the ex resolution to say I had stopped the work  I haven’t  it’s so sadistic she covering up for her mate in that team as the orginal install he didn’t check it had been done correctly  I took to Twitter and posted on open reach they ignored me then after 3 calls of two weeks they sent a engineer bt ignored me ceo emails blocked tag on Twitter unanswered then we get someone from twitter send a engineer he written report to say it’s dangerous since we have  had a  letter to say our problem can not be resolved  then a email to say sorry we are leaving and we can’t get into our account Bt will not talk to us ofcom tells us nothing they can do Citzens advice said go to the police  we can’t go back to virgin due so mass issue with them only option is sky  but point is they make out we have canceled we haven’t we have this mess on our drive dangeous work we are in hell  it’s like she covering up for this collegue it’s all very odd I am disabled and they like played mentaly with me open reach say bt resolved the issue no they have not  I recon they have terminated us making our we have  to hide it from mgt  Help it’s hell I don’t sleep we have 29 may we have tried  calling they just ignore me  at first they are so lovely as they say I am then they go to nnamager and say we can’t say anything to you end call  Scared police are rubbish I need help even typing is so painfull  Thankyou  anyone hello be so grateful     
    • There's a thread somewhere about someone sending the baillifs against Wizzair that is quite hilarious. I would love to see someone do the same to Ryanair. Question is, should you be the one to take that role. You are entitled to the £220, if your flight was from the UK. If it was TO the UK I suppose it is more of a grey area... though the airlines I know have been using £220 as standard. Not that surprising for Ryanair, the worst cheapskates in the universe, to go for the lower amount, and if you forward this to the CEO he will probably have a jolly good laugh and give his accountants a verbal bonus. After all he's the one who said and I paraphrase "F*** our customers, they'll fly with us again anyway". While we would all love to see Ryanair get wooped in court again, I have to join my fellow posters in thinking it's not worth the hassle for (hypothetically) £7 and not sure it will expedite the payment either. It's already an achievement that you got them to accept to pay.
    • The US competition watchdog has taken legal action to stop Tapestry's $8.5bn takeover of rival Capri.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6046 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I've put this question up 3 times now with no response - am I doing something wrong here??:???:

If anyone can help at all I'd REALLY appreciate it - even if just to point me in a direction I can look.

am writing on behalf of a friend who has taken out a contract for a student house. He was attacked near the house recently and is being severly harassed by the attacker since then. He has moved out of the house, and all his friends have too for fear for their safety but is still in joint and several contract til next year. He has told his landlady they want out of the contract and is trying to find replacement tenants, but the landlady has now put the rent up by £100pcm and is insisting he only gets 3rd year/post grads in - these conditions weren't here when he originally took the tenancy on.

This is making it really difficult to find replacement tenants and my friend now is paying rent on 2 properties. He can't live in the original house because of fear of his attacker.

Is the landlady within her rights to do this?

He signed up for the tenancy. He has a contract with the landlady. If he wants out he has to do it on her terms. If she relets that brings the tenancy to an end.

I disagree.

For one thing, if the tenant has been mislead, by an actionable misrepresentation by the landlord, made before the letting contract was entered into, the contract may be void or voidable. The correct question to ask is: what enquiries did the tenant make of the landlord before entering into the contract?

Another relevent question is: who is doing the attacking? If the landlord is in collusion with others to assault or harass the tenant, both the landlord and the third party commit a criminal offence. Assault, ABH, and an offence under the Protection from Eviction Act 1977 or the Protection from Harassment Act 1997, may all have been committed.

If the tenant is being harassed by a third party, independent of the landlord, then the third party still commits a criminal offence of assault, ABH, or Harassment.

This is plainly a matter for the police, to arrest the harasser and prosecute him. This offence carried a term of 6 months imprisonment under the 1997 Act. Imprisonment of the third party will remove the problem.

Alternatively, the tenant can give notice to terminate the tenancy, if there is an express notice clause in the letting contract. Or he can assign or sublet to a third party, or share occupation with a third party, unless the agreement prohibits all of those things.

Alternatively, a tenancy can be brought to an end by a surrender. If the tenant hands in the keys, and the landlord accepts them, this may of itself be a sufficient surrender.

Re-letting certainly indicates an acceptance of a surrender, but any other act that demonstrates unequivocally an intention on both sides to bring the tenancy to an end can also do this, such as e.g. vacating and handing over all the keys to the property.

The landlord might have a duty to mitigate her loss. If so, handing over the keys forces the landlord to try to re-let. If the landlord does nothing, she might be leaving herself open to an argument that she failed to mitigate her loss. This should be expressly pointed out to her, in writing.

The tenant needs to get the landlord to sign a document of surrender, ideally. Even a mere letter signed by her acknowledging the surrender may help.

But merely moving out all his goods and delivering up all the keys may put some pressure on the landlord to re-let, in order to mitigate her loss, particularly if the tenant can prove that there were other persons interested in renting the premises.

It is not for the landlord to dictate who she will let to. If the tenant can show that there is anyone willing to take a tenancy of the premises, that will help him prove a failure to mitigate loss if this is an issue.

There is an understandable tendency to think of a tenancy as a contract that confers a right of occupation. However, it is above all an estate in land to which obligations are incidentally attached. This means that it has pecularities that do not apply to "ordinary" contracts. In particular:

1. The doctrine of frustation can only apply in exceptional circumstances.

2. A tenancy cannot be rescinded. When it comes to recission, it is necessary to distinguish between a case where there is a contract to grant a tenancy that has not been completed (an executory contract) and a case where the tenancy has begun. If a party to an executory contract has failed to perform its obligations or has made a misrepresentation then the other party may have the right to rescind. However, once the tenancy has begun recission is not available and the remedies lie elsewhere, e.g. in damages or specific performance.

3. The duty to mitigate losses does not apply, at least in the case where the tenant no longer wants the premises and the landlord continues to demand rent when it is due. Any doubts about this have been removed by the case of Reichman and Another v Gauntlett and Another.

A tenancy is an estate in land and has a special character. A tenancy can only come to an end:

1. In the case of a fixed term tenancy by effluxion of time or the exercise of a right to break.

2. In the case of a periodic tenancy by notice.

3. By surrender, express or by operation of law.

4. Merger.

5. Disclaimer.

6. Forfeiture.

I recall that the OFT site has some stuff about unfair terms in consumer contracts (UTCC) and it stated that the landlord had to re-let to mitigate losses other wise this constituted an UTCC breach.

written entirely without prejudice to my whole rights and pleas in law and may not be founded upon in any proceedings.:lol:

I recall that the OFT site has some stuff about unfair terms in consumer contracts (UTCC) and it stated that the landlord had to re-let to mitigate losses other wise this constituted an UTCC breach.

I remember reading that and thinking they had the law wrong. The case I referred to above has confirmed they do (did? I wonder if they have amended their site) have the law wrong. See this thread: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/landlords-tenants/74071-tenant-leaves-early-whether.html

The duty to mitigate losses does not apply, at least in the case where the tenant no longer wants the premises and the landlord continues to demand rent when it is due. Any doubts about this have been removed by the case of Reichman and Another v Gauntlett and Another.

I disagree. In Reichman v Gauntlett it was an essential aspect of the Court of Appeal's decision that the tenant had the right to assign or sub-let the premises, as this was not prohibited by the terms of the tenancy agreement.

The decision is accordingly limited to cases in which assignment and subletting are permitted, a situation in which the tenant can relet the premises himself, and will thus probably suffer no loss.

I have already mentioned that Reggie42's friend can assign or sublet the premises to a third party, or share occupation of the premises with a third party, unless the tenancy agreement prohibits all of those things.

I cannot see how, in the present circumstances, the tenancy could be brought to an end by merger, disclaimer or forfeiture.

None of those grounds appears to arise. Although, if appropriate, no doubt the tenant could have himself declared bankrupt, in the bankruptcy county court, whereupon his trustee-in-bankruptcy would have the right to disclaim unprofitable contracts.

Whilst the judge did mention that the tenant had the right to assign, the court's argument ran something like this:

1. A landlord can only relet if he takes back control of the premises.

2. If he takes back the premises he forfeits the lease.

3. If he forfeits the lease the tenant's obligations, including the obligation to pay rent, end on the date of forfeiture.

4. There is no rule of law that allows a landlord to claim damages equal to the rent he would have received for the period between forfeiture and reletting (or if earlier, the end of the fixed term).

5. Accordingly, the only way a landlord can mitigate his loss is to take a risk and that cannot be right.

If there were an automatic right for tenants to "hand back" properties they no longer required I would have to ask why the Landlord and Tenant (Covenants) Act 1995 was passed.

I can't quite see how this affects this particular tenant.

If the tenancy agreement does not prohibit assignment, subletting and sharing of occupation, then the tenant can dispose of the premises in one of those ways to a third party.

In the ultimate, the tenant can have himself declared bankrupt if his liabilities exceed his assets, although this will have a devastating effect on his credit rating. Bankruptcy also lasts at least three years.

I doubt the landlord will have heard of Reichmann v Gauntlett, so it's worth mentioning to her the need to mitigate her loss by reletting.

From my experience of solicitors, I doubt her solicitor will have heard of it either! ;-)

Handing in the keys often has a devastating effect on landlords, who will usually rush off and relet without appreciating the legal significance of doing so.

A little bit off topic:

4. There is no rule of law that allows a landlord to claim damages equal to the rent he would have received for the period between forfeiture and reletting (or if earlier, the end of the fixed term).

I was under the impression that until the l/lord accepts the surrender, by re-letting for example, the tenant is responsible for rent. No specific rule of law necessary. Am I correct?

Aequitas, check your PM inbox, please.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can't quite see how this affects this particular tenant.

Well we have rather drifted into general principles.

From my experience of solicitors, I doubt her solicitor will have heard of it either! ;-)

As a legal executive I couldn't possibly comment.

Handing in the keys often has a devastating effect on landlords, who will usually rush off and relet without appreciating the legal significance of doing so.

No harm in bambozzling the opposition.

In practice, residential landlords are usually better off cutting their losses and reletting.

A little bit off topic:

I was under the impression that until the l/lord accepts the surrender, by re-letting for example, the tenant is responsible for rent. No specific rule of law necessary. Am I correct?

Aequitas, check your PM inbox, please.

The forfeiture takes place as soon as the landlord takes back control of the property or, if he issues proceedings, the date that notice of the proceedings is served on the tenant.

The forfeiture takes place as soon as the landlord takes back control of the property or, if he issues proceedings, the date that notice of the proceedings is served on the tenant.

No. The tenant has a right to apply for relief from forfeiture, so the forfeiture only takes effect when a court order is granted.

Serving the writ is conclusive only as to the landlord's intention to end the tenancy. The forfeiture may take effect from the date of service of the writ, under the terms of the court order, but a residential tenancy can't be forfeited by re-entry, only by court order. There is no power of peaceable re-entry in a residential letting.

A surrender is achieved by agreement. It is not an act of forfeiture.

No. The tenant has a right to apply for relief from forfeiture, so the forfeiture only takes effect when a court order is granted.

Serving the writ is conclusive only as to the landlord's intention to end the tenancy.

No. The position is as I stated above. If the forfeiture were not immediately effective it would never happen if the tenant never applied for relief. When relief is granted it has the effect of retrospectively reviving the lease - a case of statutory magic.

but a residential tenancy can't be forfeited by re-entry, only by court order. There is no power of peaceable re-entry in a residential letting.

This only applies so long as the tenant is not in occupation. It is of course when the tenant abandons the premises that forfeiture by peaceful re-entry typically takes place.

A surrender is achieved by agreement. It is not an act of forfeiture.

Agreed.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no power of forfeiture by peaceable re-entry in a residential letting. That power survives only in respect of commercial premises.

If the landlord takes back possession of a residential property in the way that you're suggesting (what is described informally as an abandonment) he is in law simply accepting a tenant's surrender of the lease.

He is not forfeiting. In a residential letting, forfeiture is only possible by proceedings: by service of the writ, and obtaining of the court order.