J D Williams / Fashionworld - Victim of identity theft - how do you clear your name

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6043 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am the victim of attempted identity theft where a company allowed someone to open 3 accounts over the internet and supplied several hundred pounds worth of goods to them, despite an Experian search showing the delivery address was totally different than my address on the electoral roll

The company have told me they are no longing pursuing the debt against me but are refusing to correct incorrect information about me

I crequest DPA information and the company has been very cute and sent minimal information claiming the other information relates to the address I have onthing to do with and therefore I have no right to see it

I need to clear my name - does anyone have any ideas

I will be watching with interest as i still have to sort a similar problem with O2 the link and orange.

Have been busy with bank claim but now have to move on to the same thing - they have linked me to an address nothing to do with me but experian wont remove it.

I will let you know how I get on

Jan

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Ask Experian to put a correcting note on your name - stating you have nothing to do with the related address

Contact CIFAS

Ask for the information under the DPA - Govt website is really good

These may help - but if company still persists in maintaining inaccurate info - you have to give ask them to erase or change it - and if they don't go the the court - wasting time and money and most importantly extending the time period this inaccurate information is recorded on you for.

Good luck - I guess I am 6 weeks further down the road than you and it may take another couple of months for me to complete the process as J D Williams continue to be unhelpful. The same fraudsters defrauded Littlewoods who in marked contract to JD Williams cleared my name immediately, saying that the fraudsters had used the same phone number for other similar frauds.

I would report the matter to the police and get a crime reference number.

Provide that to JD Williams and advise them that if they do nto remove all information on your credit file within 14 days, you will take them to court.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Thanks

I have done both of these

I am pursuing the DPA option and will go to court if they refuse to change their records

I have asked the to change the inaccurate inforamtion and am awaiting a reply

I have also written to the FSA, OFT, their chairman Lord Alliance etc

I have sked my MP to have the law changed and to raise the matter in parliament

• 2 weeks later...

You were spot on - received a letter from company - :)unhappy at my letter to FSA - and requesting private information on me in order to clear my name - I am refusing to send them any private information on me but have offered to send it to the police who they should have reported the fraud carried out on them to.

• 2 weeks later...

Success

Company after weeks and weeks of correspondence and with the clock running down before the complaint was sent to information commissioner have cleared my name and "sincerely" apologised.

Happy that name is cleared but a horrible experience dealing with people who were defrauded due to their inadadequate processes and then effectively said I was guilty unless I could prove myself innocent.

There is a simple, cheap (FREE if you're not taking out loans, or applying for credit cards) meaans of deterring ID Theft which is extremely effective.

You can FREEZE you credit files for Crooks whilst Protecting yourself.

Check out Identity Theft protection, ID fraud prevention tips, Impersonation fraud assistance

The advantage of using this system (Identity Theft protection, ID fraud prevention tips, Impersonation fraud assistance) rather than CIFAS Protective Registration are two fold.

1. It reaches ALL lenders.

2. It's less than half the CIFAS cost of £11.75.

CIFAS, the UK's fraud prevention service, already provides a degree of protection for consumers against identity theft. However, CIFAS members only account for about 250 of the 4,000 lenders in the UK.

There CIFAS stands for the Credit Industry Fraud Avoidance System. It's just that the Industry's system. It protects its 250 members.

Article click here.