• Tweets

• let the ombudsman do their job. you'll win handsdown you dont obv owe OVO p'haps anything at all.  dont worry about Past Due credit or any other DCA ( THEY ARE NOT BAILIFFS!) as for you being added to the debt, thats quite OK, you were a resident adult and equally liable under law. once you start getting things moving via the  ombudsman dont forget to get your credit files cleansed of any negative data & seek compensation for distress etc, again the  ombudsman should sort both out for you. as you are now NOT a customer of OVO, there is very very little they can do to you now.  
    • A question - did you use the supermarket or the restaurant? I see the restrictions are different. Sign.pdf
    • DN is ok DCA NOA is ok, though not one from Newday saying they've sold it. agreement states esigned on a sunday at 11am?? really??  but no typed names or tick box nor any IP address used. if the date is correct then poss ok, it that your correct address for that time of take out? but if not, then that could simply be a copy of someone elses they've used with you details copy'n'pasted over theirs. the agreement details separate T&C's in at least 8.4. a full set of T&C containing your correct address for the time MUST be included. failure renders the agreement unenforceable... have you the T&C's too? dx
    • Npower and Scottish Power and others have always had regulations that require them to treat customers fairly - the threads here and my experiences demonstrate that those regs are little more than useless.   Even Octopus recently spent month after month saying they needed to increase my monthly payments despite my credit balance slowly going up TWICE I had to reset it online back to prior payment as they unilaterally increased it unilaterally. Raised formal complaint and they than said i was paying too much and reduced the payment, again without my agreement, although that time at least they told me they were doing it.   .. and Octopus has been one of the better ones.    
    • Thank you. You left all your personal details showing on the invoice, but I've removed them. From Googling it seems the free parking is limited to one hour.  You stayed two.  There is no point appealing, you did overstay.  That's apart from the fact the private parking companies are just interested in £££££ and never accept appeals. We have other Iceland cases, Iceland as a company refuse to have these invoices cancelled. So it's up to you. Pay £51 and the matter goes away. Or refuse to pay.  Horizon very rarely do court.  We would support you all the way. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Mis-sold Economy 7 Tariff by British Gas

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5179 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My mate's just given British Gas an Electricity meter reading and they now reckon he's £150 short on payments (he'd been paying £15 month by DD based on estimation).

When he questioned how a single, working person could run up such a high bill in 1 year they said it's because he's on Economy 7 (where it's cheaper for 7 the hours through the night but more expensive during the day (compared to their normal tariff)).

When he opened the account with them (August 2006) he never asked to be put on Economy 7 and they didn't mention it either. It seems they took it upon themselves. It's meant for people who run storage heaters and electric water heaters through the night, but he has neither of these, all his heating is from gas. It seems obvious to me a customer in his situation wouldn't request it.

Does anyone think it's possible to get a refund in the extra money he has been charged for electricity whilst on an innapropriate tariff? Can British Gas be accused of mis-selling a product, or being underhand in their billing?

I'm thinking they may say "your Economy 7 tariff was printed on your bill so you should have said sooner" to get out of refunding - and I can't think of an argument against that. Any ideas?

Advice please! :-)

"Be reasonable, demand the impossible"

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They cannot 'put you on it', you either have a white meter or you do not. It isn't an option you can select, he'll have a meter that supplied both a peak and off peak set of readings, along with a time clock that switches between the two. If he doesn't have this, then he cannot be on this tariff.

• Haha 1

Thanks Buzby... you do seem to know a lot about everything. :-)

Maybe my friend does have this type of meter - if so it was there when he moved in (Aug 06, same time as the account with British Gas started). But the previous owner had had radiators and the gas boiler installed years ago (the system's at least 5 years old, if not more).

When my mate gave BG the reading last week and discovered why he was being charged more they switched him immediately onto the normal tariff, there and then over the phone.

So, the question remains, is there any claimback from British Gas? They opened a brand new account but failed to mention it was Economy 7. It isn't the sort of thing you ask for when opening an account unless you specifically want it, so I'm not sure it's my mate's responsibilty to check he wasn't on anything other than a normal tariff.

More wise words please..... :-)

I've switched suppliers several times and the supplier is able to tell if they can supply you depending on info Transco has about your property.

I gather they are able to tell the difference on how you can be supplied. It was explained to me over the phone but it seemed very technical.

Anyway, I had Economy7 at my house but I had it taken out for gas central heating, therefore, Economy7 is now not an option for me.

I cannot see how somebody could be on an Economy7 tariff just by mistake.

I've had many conversations about this with customers at work - if an economy 7 meter was at the property, there will have been night storage heaters there at some point. Whoever removed them and changed to gas central heating should have arranged to have the meter changed, but didn't. BG have no way of knowing if someone's changed their heating, they rely on the owner/tenant calling and requesting a meter change. Much as I hate to stick up for BG, if this is the case then it's not their fault, they can only act on information they've received and they've done nothing wrong. Your friend will be liable for the bill (£15 a month is ridiculously low anyway).

However, it sounds like your friend doesn't actually have an economy 7 meter, as if this is what was at the property then there is no way BG would have been able to change the tariff over the phone. It may be that they've had the meter on record as the wrong type, or that someone's simply punched in the wrong tariff code somewhere down the line. If this is the case, they will be able to easily work out what his bill should have been over the period in question, and rebill him correctly.

Please click my scales if I've been helpful :)

• Haha 1

I retained my 'White Meter' (as it is called in Scotland) as the half-price electricity in the period 2330-0830 is a worthwhile saving, even when countered with the (slightly) higher daytime rate. We shower and do the laundry overnight, and as a result are some 10% better off!

It may be that they've had the meter on record as the wrong type, or that someone's simply punched in the wrong tariff code somewhere down the line. If this is the case, they will be able to easily work out what his bill should have been over the period in question, and rebill him correctly.

Then how will they have dome the meter readings - Economy 7 requires two figures for consumption?

I retained my 'White Meter' (as it is called in Scotland) as the half-price electricity in the period 2330-0830 is a worthwhile saving, even when countered with the (slightly) higher daytime rate. We shower and do the laundry overnight, and as a result are some 10% better off!

Although we had gas central heating, we had one fitted in order to do laundry/drying/dishwasher overnight. In fact, we deliberately chose 'cold-fill only' machines to take advantage of the cheaper water heating

As for you, it saved us money

Mree - It is an Economy 7 meter, and yes, the property more than likely had storage heaters at some point. But BG did switch him over to a normal tariff over the phone. The woman he spoke to thought he might need the meter changing, but enquired and came back on the phone and said he didn't.

I suppose BG can't be blamed for not knowing, but in this day and age of multiple suppliers begging you to switch I'm thinking a 'gesture of goodwill' (ie refund of the difference in rates) might persuede my mate to stay with them. Hopefully they'll get such a message.

BTW £15 a month isn't ridiculously low for a single person who's at work 12 hours a day with low energy appliances/bulbs, nothing left on standby etc... I pay a similar amount too and my place is actually bigger than his.

Pat - alas, my mate didn't even know he was on E7 so any advantage to be gained by using the washing machine at night would've been just by fluke if he was staying up late. Ho hum.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE!!

British Gas have backed down, coughed up and apologised!!! Big up BG!

After the above discussion I helped my mate to write a letter explaining the situation, and asking for a refund (of the difference between the E7 tariff paid and the normal tariff which should have been applied), plus to wipe the 3 months £15 direct debit payment they were now asking for as a lump sum after they cancelled it for no reason.

We also mentioned that 'Economy 7' was not mentioned anywhere on the bill so there was know way of knowing what the tariff was. And to top it off we said their level of service was a disgrace, pointed out there were many other suppliers out there vying for customers, and gave them 14 days to reply and pay up.

On the 14th day they phoned my mate to appologise, and said they'd wipe the 3 x £15 payments and would work out how much to credit him back for the Economy 7 blunder and credit it to the account.

And lo and behold when the latest bill came he's now actually about £8 in credit!

Thanks for the advice everyone - I thought this was really pushing things a bit, but it seems BG actually do care about/respect a few of their customers somewhat.

• 1 year later...

Not sure if I should start a new thread but my problem is exactly the same as above. I've just got off the phone to nPower who have informed me that we are in fact on an Economy 7 tariff. We have been there 5 months and haven't received a bill in that time, however we have been paying £15 a month each for elec and gas (pretty low I know but that's what they 'recommended' when we moved in). At no stage were we informed of the nature of the tariff we were on - we've probably used about 5% of our electricity between 12am and 7am in the past five months! We gave a meter reading when we moved in which had 'low' and normal' on it but that meant nothing to us, neither me nor my fiance have ever heard of Economy 7. I'm Irish and I've had tariffs in Ireland where you pay a different rate between 6am and 6pm (peak) and 6pm and 6am (off-peak) so I assumed the meter reflected this. Surely nPower have an obligation on the contract they sent 5 months ago to inform us of the nature of the tariff we were on? Our bill is going to sent to us in 7-10days and it's going to be bloody massive, and I really feel this is unfair. We always pay all our bills on time but surely we have some sort of comebak on this?? Can we ask for our bill to be backdated to reflect a standard tariff? At least if we had known at the start, we could have tried to change the way we use energy!!!! Please help....

You will have at some point signed a contract for the supply of utilities - since your property had an Economy 7 meter, this is the tariff you would be put on. There is no element of choice, as it is up to you to check the tariffs and advise them if you wish the meter swapped.

I had a white meter in Dublin from the ESB, using a time clock and a meter with twin rows of digits, so the system there is as the one operated here. Clearly if you are not making use of the low cost power at all, then it will be more expensive for you, but the responsibility is for the customer to know and arrange the change.

Hi Buzby,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Your point about customer responsibility is a fair one, however, I'm 32 years of age and I have renated in probably over 20 different residences in that time, yet I've never been aware of, nor been on a tariff such as Economy 7. When you say 'white' meter I don't know if you are referring to the actual colour or is this some sort of term for the type of meter? Our meter is black in colour, has a 'low' and 'norm' reading but there is no clock housed anywhere. There is two other non-descript black boxes of similar sizes but these look like they are fuse boxes.

I have never had an issue with the tariff I have been on in all my years of renting so I had no idea that we were on such a different tariff to any previous.

Npower's letter confirming our contract 5 months ago state we were on tariff MIDE 1PY (something like that) which I searched for an explanation of on their website but to no avail, I had similar luck when i Googled said tariff. I tried phoning nPower but everytime I did I was on hold for at least 30minutes before giving up.

I realise we are going to have to pay through the nose for this but, considering this type of tariff requires significantly different type of energy use (setting all appliances to work at night, etc.), nPower should attempt to advise NEW customers of this fact. For that matter, our bloody landlord should have told us too -surely he was aware. From a strictly legal point of view Buzby, I suppose you are right and we will just have to pay whatever the bill is and put it down to experience, but I'm so annoyed as even a small sentence explaining this would have saved us a fortune. The cynic in me also realises that nPower are making a tidy sum from people such as me.....I'm going to contest it in any case as I feel we should have had some notification of this. Our energy usage will back up the fact that we were 'in the dark'.

Thanks all the same,

MM

Sorry - it's all to do with marketing. In Scotland it is called 'White Mwter' as the meter usually had a white shroud, in England & Wales it was called 'Economy 7'. You should actually get more than 7 hours, I recieve 8.5hrs each night.

Your argument is a weak one, as if successful folk could complain they shouldn't pay council tax because you weren't specifically told this would be payable (there is no CT in Dublin).

We removed our own storage radiators and went to gas, and the meter remained. Now, this was my choice, and I was fully aware that my consumption would not be as high overnight, but you still had the benefit that consumption overnight was/will be charged at the correct rate. Expecting the supplier to take an interest would be a fallacy, as half of them cannot bill accurately at the best of times!

Good luck, but I do think you'll find that you don't have a good answer when they ask why didn;t you query the tariff you were on at the start?

:)

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

MarshmallowMan, although Buzby is technically correct, I think if you play it as 'we were never told' (including lack of labelling) and point out how many other suppliers want your business, there's a strong chance you could get them to overlook that bill as a gesture of goodwill.

Do you have storage heaters in the house? If no I'd think it'd be even more fair for you to assume you were on standard electricity. How is your water heated, and how old's the house?

In my mate's case the whole place was converted to a gas boiler system years before he moved in, the previous occupier was elderly and probably didn't understand what Economy 7 was so didn't realise to switch back.

When you say they recommended you pay £15 a month, how did they come to that sum, did they ask lifestyle questions, and did they say £15 or you? I think this could be important in winning your argument.

I can try and dig out the letter we used so you can use it as a guide, if you wanted to pursue it.

Edited by Stillborn Crisps

In my experience as a meter reader, lots of peple are on the E7 tariff that shouldn;t be.

PS: Really a utility company does not have to remove an E7 meter in order for someone to go on to the single price tariff. They can just bill both readings at the same price. I know EOn often do this - although some companies seem to have an issue about this and say the meter must be changed (for some bizarre reason).

Re

"The woman he spoke to thought he might need the meter changing, but enquired and came back on the phone and said he didn't."

and

"PS: Really a utility company does not have to remove an E7 meter in order for someone to go on to the single price tariff. They can just bill both readings at the same price. I know EOn often do this - although some companies seem to have an issue about this and say the meter must be changed (for some bizarre reason)."

The reason for this is whilst it PERFECTLY possible to bill on a standard tariff with a two rate meter there is an issue if the customer changes supplier. The new supplier will take it over as economy seven, unless the customer is on the ball they would be back to square one.

Once the meter is exchanged this cannot happen.

I have seen a few cases where people, through being persistant, have had the account back-billed on the standard rate. My instinct is to go with Buzby on this one.

I appreciate many people are not familiar with the Economy7 tariff but on the other hand if I'm not on the best tariff on the market whos fault is it?

Economy seven IS well known, I have people asking me regularly if it will save them money. The answer is usually no, unless you use more than 30% of your electricity in the E7 hours you won't benefit.

I suppose the thing to stress if you are going for re-billing is they have all the info to recalculate this. PS if its rented you may need to check with the landlord if the meter can be changed though I can't see why they would object.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

The issue is to to with the billing systems - some firms cannot cope with aggregating two disparate readings on a single tariff. I'm aware of a user being notionally switched to a 3-phase meter account (which has the capability to accept 3 readings to calculate the bill) where the standard domestic tariff only accepted a single reading.

Whether the meter needs swapped really depends on the supplier you have (and their computer system).

• 3 months later...