• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

New type of bank account

mauritius
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5910 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I havent been on here for a while, I was kinda having a good relationship with citi for a while, when oops I forgot about a cheque for £10 I wrote a week previous. Bang, £25 charge for my account ending up £2 overdrawn....what a bunch of retards! The reason Im writing here, is to see if anyone has come across a new kind of account called 'think banking'? for an administration fee of £12.50 per month, someone will personally ensure all your bills are payed and the remaining is released for you to use, therefore no charges (apart from the fee). Im sorry I havent explained it very well, but the website is thinkbanking.co.uk if anyone has had any dealings with them? or what is everyone elses thoughts on this?

Im really getting annoyed with banks now, I think Ill end up with my salary paid directly to under my mattress!

Hi looked at the website. RBoS will be holding the account. Not sure how it would work. Ok your salary goes into the account, they pay all your bills first then put the rest to a card account for you to use. So no more charges. What about the monthly fee they will charge for making sure you dont get any charges. I dont think so. Not for me. They have had more than enough from me already. And my mattress is rather comfy now. It gets softer every week. And guess what, for now that is where i will be leaving it.

I know what you mean, but im just so fed up of banks being unfair that Im starting to think £12.50 is reasonable for this kind of service, if it ensures I wont be getting any charges. Your right though, theyve had enough out of us already.

£12.50 to do what exactly?

Basically, they will "hold" all the money necessary for your DDs and STOs etc to be paid and "release" the rest to you. How kind!

And what about any cheques you've written etc?

Who gets the interest on the "held" money whilst they are waiting for the DD originators to request it etc? I'll give you two guesses!! ;)

Whilst I am sure that on the face of it this seems a good idea, personally I wouldn't pay ANYONE £12.50 for something I can do myself.

The simplest way is sure to have your salary paid in to your bank account, work out what your debits add up to and transfer the rest in to another account to use as your monthly "spends" if you can't trust yourself not to use the bills money!

Sorry, this is just my personal opinion, but I think it's unnecessary expense.

2007 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2008 Issues ALL RESOLVED

£4,200 in charges claimed back succesfully from a total of 5 Creditors

2009 Issues ALL RESOLVED

NEXT Directory - No Agreement, No Further Action **WON**

2010 Issues

Court Claim from Black Horse - AOS 22.11.10, CPR 23.11.10

Assisting Daughter with Employment Tribunal for Wrongful Dismissal/Discrimination

:) My Head is officially out of the Sand :)

Also just spotted this:

There is a one-off set up cost of £25 which is taken from the first credit to be paid into your account.

and this

You can choose to have a second card for additional account holders for £5.00 per month.

Personally I think this is a rip off!

Rbos get to keep the bills money for as long as necessary and earn interest on it, and you, whose money it is, get to have a Maestro card to withdraw funds and pay for things in shops/online.

What happens when you need to send money somewhere? What happens if one of your creditors/househol expenditure companies ask for more money (ie your subscription goes up etc) ?

Too expensive, not enough benefits and, in my opinion, cynically preying on those who are least able to afford it.

:mad:

2007 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2008 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2009 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2010 Issues

Assisting Daughter with Employment Tribunal for Wrongful Dismissal/Discrimination

Good points thanks for pointing them out. I tend to look at things like this with severly rose tinted glasses. I like your suggestion of opening another account somewhere to transfer the rest of the money after bills are accounted for.

No problem Mauritius!

My "less than rose tinted specs" come from years working in the banking industry!

The suggestion would work in the same way as the account you mentioned, except YOU are in control ! (and not getting charged for the priviledge, as long as you are sensible!)

:D

2007 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2008 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2009 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2010 Issues

This account has been around for a long time and was originally an account I had, don't believe them that they will take your money first, they will take "their" money first. There is also a nasty little £10 fee they charge if you haven't got money in the account on the 29th of the month (or they used to have on this account - I can provide evidence) and therefore overdraw you so they can charge further fees the following month.

The account also is used by several companies who set up IVA's so be very very careful, it could damage your credit rating having this account - I will have a look through my paperwork to see who set it up originally (I think it was Gregory Pennington...) and what their terms were then.

Thanks sillgirl1 !

Not only is it great to have advice from someone who has used this account, but it also makes me feel less cynical! ;) (or at least justified to feel so!)

2007 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2008 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2009 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2010 Issues

Definately RBOS and obtained account via Gregory Pennington. I was in a lot of debt at the time and they were supposed to stop all action against me, ended up with a CCJ and attachment of earnings.... had I known then what I know now I wouldn't have taken that path. It was pretty much an IVA but without the legal status that comes with an IVA.

Think Money is run by RBoS

However a quick google tells you that "Think Money" itself is owned by Gregory Pennington, as is Friendly Mortgages and Loans, Freeman Jones Debt Solutions, Wilson Andrews (Debt advice in Scotland)

I also found this:

Account opening and monthly management fee payable. Personal bank accounts only. Proof of identity will be required.

The think banking account is a managed bank account run by think banking and held with the Royal Bank of Scotland.

think banking, Pennington House, Carolina Way, South Langworthy Road, Salford Quays, M50 2ZY

Company registration number: 05530040. Registered in England and Wales.

The think banking card is issued by Newcastle Building Society pursuant to licence by MasterCard International Incorporated or its affiliates.

Newcastle Building Society is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority and is entered in the Financial Services Authority Register

under Registration No. 156058

Cynical?

Moi?

;)

2007 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2008 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2009 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2010 Issues

Case closed for me guys, Im staying well away, I just started using microsoft money manager so I think Ill take my chances with that. Thank you so much for the help, I woulda just waded straight in, started using this account and really got myself in the sh*t. Think It might be handy to keep this post active, incase we find any more developments with these guys!;)

I'm glad we were able to allow you some reflection time! :D

Often, as is said time and time again, if it looks too good to be true, it is.

My recommendation stands Mauritius, get your salary paid into an account, work out what you have to leave behind every month to cover the bills (with a little "movement") and transfer the rest to another account. That way you know your bills are covered and when your "moved" money runs out, you'll have to wait until payday! ;)

2007 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2008 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2009 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2010 Issues

• 2 weeks later...

While I agree with all the comments here, it may be useful if you need a maestro card and you are prepared to pay the monthly fee.

I have access to a fair amount of cash every month (albeit at the wrong time) but due to a business failure some years ago I cannot get a cheque g'tee card or decent debit card apart from Electron which is not accepted in some places (ie over the phone).

So on the face of it, I would have to look at the possible benefits of such a facility for the sake of £150 a year. Especially when it costs me £10/£20 a time when I send a BAC's or CHAP's payment to make a purchase or large payment direct from my basic Halifax account.

Just a thought.

It's going to be an interesting year...

Thats strange Ive got a Halifax Visa Electron card and I can't remember the last time it wasn't accepted. I use it in all shops, online and on the phone.

Usually if they say they dont accept electron, then key it in as a normal Visa card and it goes through.

I would say that less than 10% of places dont take it

Fair point although it was only two weeks ago that a florist said they could not take my payment over the phone. I had to drive to them and hand my card over. This is based on the "Electronic Use Only" policy with the card.

All said and done, Halifax should change the card.

It's going to be an interesting year...

While I agree with all the comments here, it may be useful if you need a maestro card and you are prepared to pay the monthly fee.

I have access to a fair amount of cash every month (albeit at the wrong time) but due to a business failure some years ago I cannot get a cheque g'tee card or decent debit card apart from Electron which is not accepted in some places (ie over the phone).

So on the face of it, I would have to look at the possible benefits of such a facility for the sake of £150 a year. Especially when it costs me £10/£20 a time when I send a BAC's or CHAP's payment to make a purchase or large payment direct from my basic Halifax account.

Just a thought.

Clydesdale bank will most probably give you a meastro card with a basic account so long as you tell them upfront that you have a bad credit rating.

this stops them performing credit scoring, they only do a check that you are who you say you are, not bankrupt etc.

Saves you the monthly fee.

I opened the account within about 3 days I had the card up and runnig.

If I have helped click my scales....

Find my threads by clicking here

I have read this thread with great interest, so thank you for all your posts...

The reason being that my partner and I have just started the process of an IVA, WITH Gregory Pennington AND we have been given a Thinkbanking account...!

Now I am really worried that we are going to be screwed over or something.

I thought it all sounded a bit too good to be true..!

EMMA

• 2 weeks later...

MEMA

Go on to the debt forum and check with the learned folks on there whether the consensus is that you NEED an IVA.

It's obviously in these Companies interests that you have one.

But not necessarily in yours....

Good Luck :)

2007 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2008 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2009 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2010 Issues