Should I get a SECURED loan?

splashin

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5135 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am presently thinking about taking out a loan. Should I get a SECURED loan? I have equity of 20k in my house and would like 10k to make improvements. I don't want to remortgage as i have got a really good fixed rate for 10yrs. I don't think I would get a unsecured loan for 10k, should I get a SECURED loan? Please give me any advice about this good and bad.

Thanks

Splashin :oops:

SPLASHIN ;)

Top Link Checkout

[email protected]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The downside of a secured loan is that if you don't keep up repayments they can reposses your home. You have to consider this when taking one out.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

You couldask your mortage co about a further advance, but bear in mind that this will be secured, but likely to be cheaperthan places like first plus, picture loans etc (who in my opinion should be avoided at all costs)

You could try your bank.

Or get some quotes and save up what you would be repaying unti you have enough to do the work.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

As the two posts above say, please consider very seriously the implications of having a loan secured on your property.

Failure to keep the repayments could mean you losing your home, and if you're already paying a mortgage you need to be absolutely certain that you're not overstretching your finances.

• Barclays: WON!!! It took four months but was totally worth it!
  • Cabot: I'm still waiting for an enforcable agreement, more than a year after requesting it. Go on, Uncle Ken, take me to court if you dare. You know you want to!
  • Elephant.co.uk: VICTORY - they admitted there was no debt!
  • Ashbourne Management (gym membership): Finally got my default removed and out-of-court settlement; I'm not finished with them yet!

<--- If I've been helpful please remember the scales ;)

The interest rate on unsecured loans is usually fixed wheras on a secured loan they are variable. You must be VERY VERY careful about secured loans, if your circumstances change it could cause allsorts of difficulties.

Have you tried for an unsecured loan yet?

Failure to keep the repayments could mean you losing your home .

The way itd going nowadys with all the SD flying around you can lose your house with an unsecure

RO

Hello

Thanks for all advice posted. I did apply online yesturday for an unsecured loan and today recvd a letter stating they are happy to deal with me. The terms of the loan are not fixed and they are giving me a typical APR rate of 15.2%, does this mean it could go higher depending on the Base Rate Figure?

Splashin

SPLASHIN ;)

Top Link Checkout

[email protected]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello

Thanks for all advice posted. I did apply online yesturday for an unsecured loan and today recvd a letter stating they are happy to deal with me. The terms of the loan are not fixed and they are giving me a typical APR rate of 15.2%, does this mean it could go higher depending on the Base Rate Figure?

Splashin

This means that that payment figures they quote are based on 15.2%. Your initial rate could be even higher than that to start and then go even higher.

IMO I would contact you currnet mortgage lender, they know your history etc and may possibly offer you an unsecured loan based on their in house credit scoring.

I know Bank of Scotland due specific add on loans for existing borrowers.

PKea