Ambulance ABUSERS

Guest louis wu
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6069 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest louis wu

Have you ever had cause to dial 999 for an ambulance, and then wondered why it has taken so long for it to turn up?

If so, then I will attempt to answer why it does sometimes take too long.

My work rarely involves attending to sick and injured people, in fact I would say that at least 90% of the calls I attend DO NOT require an ambulance. Let me give you some examples (real examples not exagerated) of what I regulary deal with.

A car crash, that happened on the motorway 150 miles away. The driver continues home (in his own car), drives past the hospital and parks outside his house. Calls 999 and asks to be taken to A&E. When asked why he didn't go himself, he answers that it looks better if you go in by ambulance. This happens all the time, because people believe that attendance by ambulance to A&E looks good on the claim form....it doesn't.

A person laying on the floor (this is a daily occurance) pretending to be unconcious (and it is easy to tell the difference believe me). When 'woken' and asked what they are doing there, they reply that they have had too much to drink....no illness/injury.....and just having a rest. That person then asks (and I cannot refuse) to go to A&E to have a sleep on a hospital trolley. Not unusual to see that person walking out 2 minutes later, because the trip to the hospital has got them halfway home.

My electricity has run out, will you go to the garage and put £5.00 on my card (Yes it is true, and it hasn't happened just once either). Cant tell you what the standard reply to that one is.

My elderly relative is ill. How long for? Oh about 6 months. Have you called a GP in that time? NO. So then we walk to the ambulance, and the relative says they will follow behind in thier own car. When asked why they didn't just take the relative to the casualty (or better still a GP) themselves, they reply in the following ways

1. they will be seen quicker if they arrive by ambulance. (not true)

2. what if they are sick in the car...it will need cleaning. (and who cleans the ambo?)

3. a look of horror appears on thier face, and I am told that it's my JOB to take them, and thats why they pay taxes. (that just means everyone else waits longer).

I have got an appointment with (any various dept within the hospital) later today. I cannot afford a taxi, so I thought you could take me to A&E and I'll get transfered to x dept when I get there.

I cut my finger on this envelope (a paper cut), can you put a plaster on it....or worse, can you have a look at this splinter in my thumb.

These are just a small selection of the ridiculous things I attend, and the reason why the ambulance service is stretched to breaking point.

The point is, never be afraid to call for an ambulance, but please consider if it is the most appropriate thing to do in the circumstance. Genuine concern, and sometimes pure peace of mind are important, and it's easy to panic in an emergency. But the consequences of calling for an ambulance when it's not required can be devastating.

So please use the ambulance...dont ABUSE it, because one day you may need that ambulance in a hurry, but if it's tied up being nothing but a free taxi you may find that you wait a very long time for it.

louis

I have to confess, I had to call 999 once and I felt terribly embarrassed for doing so, and still do, but hear me out...

I am 8 1/2 months pregnant, and walking barefeet at home. I stood on a pin, and as luck would have it, it had a kink in it, which made it like a hook, and it went in my heel. Husband miles and hours away at that point, kids at school for hours, and I can not reach to get the thing off. And I obviously can't limp or hobble anywhere, because I am so big that I will lose my balance.

So I dialled 999, (the ambulance centre is not far from home), and said: "I don't need an ambulance, I just need that guy on the bike you have, it is NOT an emergency as such, but I do need help and have no way of going anywhere myself." They were there within 5 mns, ambulance, full crew, you name it. I can't remember how many times I apologised for disturbing them, I can tell you, and they were really good about it, and said I did the right thing. But to this day, I still feel embarrassed by the whole thing. :o

That is THE worst thing about being pregnant... not being able to reach your own feet lol. Its pretty bad when you can't put your socks on in a morning!

Abbey - *SETTLED IN FULL!* ;)

-£445 refunded after one phonecall

HERE

Lloyds - Reclaiming Charges ***WON!***

-09/05/07 - Prelim delivered

-22/05/07 - LBA sent - no response

-11/07/07 - Filed at court

- 26/07/07 - Full settlement offer!!!! Donation made ;)

HERE

Next - Trying to Sue us with no agreement! :lol:

-29/06/07 - Defence filed

-16/08/07 - AQ filed

-19/09/07 - Claim struck out!! :p

HERE and continued HERE

PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES IF I'VE HELPED!

Guest louis wu

Bookie, you don't need to be dying to ask for an ambulance, and my post wasn't made to make anyone feel uncomfortable of awkward for dialling 999.

You had an accident, summed up your options, and called. You were honest with your call, and I am sure the incident passed with the minimum of fuss.

I would have been happy to have helped you that day, and I don't think you should feel bad about calling for help.

louis

Well, I still do. :razz:

On the other hand, when I twisted my ankle, I drove myself home on it, and then got a taxi to A&E with my 5-weeks-old child, because I was worried about HIM (he was in my arms when I fell, and I was afraid he might have banged his head), they took one look at him and said "he's fine, now can we have a look a your ankle, please?" because they could tell it was actually broken, not twisted.

So I suppose that evens things out. :razz:

LOL Reminds me of when I had gall stones, suffering badly, anyone who has had bad gallstones attacks will tell you (if they are a woman) that it is worse than childbirth!! Anyway, I had to go an get an infection, so not only am i on the floor in agony, but I am puking my guts up too, DD was about 4, Mr Lula and I werent at this time living together and I was alone, its 3 in the morning.

So, i had to ring Mr Lula's parents, till they got up and managed to get him up and cry down the phone that i needed him, then i had to ring DD's father to come and collect her as I needed to go to the hospita. Well half an our later, they both turn up, DD has a bag packed and is woken up by her father, Mr Lula, locks up, leaves out food for the cats and drives me to the hospital, 3 miles away, he had to stop about 5 times for me to puke!! I had to spend 4 days in hospital on an IV for antibiotics for the infection.

On reflection, I should have phone the damned ambulance, but, as Bookie so rightly says, we end up more concerned for those around us and the effect that it will have on us, that ourselves .

I have to say though, if someone dials 999 for no good reason, then they should be charged, because this sort of crap can quite easily cost other people their lives

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Thats the good thing about NHS Direct, they can help you out, advise you and call an ambulance if needed...with 3 kiddies i have used them alot.

Jenny x

Guest louis wu

Lula

On reflection, I should have phone the damned ambulance, but, as Bookie so rightly says, we end up more concerned for those around us and the effect that it will have on us, that ourselves .

Yes you should have phoned for an ambo, you could have been dosed up with all sorts for the journey, however I understand and admire your sentiments about worrying about others.

I would never be upset/annoyed about any call I attend where there is genuine concern/worry from loved ones/friends about the person I am attending to.

because this sort of crap can quite easily cost other people their lives

is exactly the point I wanted to high light in this thread.

Another point, that, unless it was the direst of emergencies, we can probably be at A&E alot faster than the time it would take to call an ambulance and wait for it to get here (and I dont have dee daws on my car either ):D

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

I couldn't go without replying to this and supporting Louis (I'm going to Spain for a short break on Saturday then I'm off for good on Thursday next week).

Everybody can do basic first aid if they stop to think about it.

CARDIAC ARREST - If your loved one is not conscious and not breathing - 999. You will be given direct instruction on CPR. You might not be an expert but follow the instructions and you are giving them a real chance

If you have CHEST PAIN - call an ambulance. All chest pain should be treated as cardiac in origin until proven otherwise.

DIFFICULTY BREATHING. Can be a bit dangerous - call us! Please do not go breathing into a paper bag. There are certain circumstances where this may be appropriate but it's not a recognized treatment for asthma or most other respiratory diseases.

SERIOUS HAEMHORRAGE - If it's spurting across the room you have a problem. Do not use a tourniquet. Apply direct pressure to the wound. To the best of my experience, nobody ever died from a cut finger.

And finally, my favourite - CHILDBIRTH.........

610,000 women give birth every year in this country. You have had plenty of warning. Plan for it.

I'm off to give the benefit of my experience to Australia. If you have kids - take a first aid course. If you don't have kids - take a first aid course but take it seriously. If you ever have to call 999 for an ambulance, please listen to the advisor on the phone. They are highly trained professionals. What they tell you may in certain circumstances contradict what you think is right but trust me - they know better than you do.

Advice given is either my experience or my opinion and is given without liability. If in doubt, consult a qualified professional.

If you PM me for advice I will only reply in your own thread

Never under estimate your ability. I won over £17,000!

For the full story - look here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/NatWest-bank/17630-thecobbettslayer-NatWest.html

And finally, my favourite - CHILDBIRTH.........

610,000 women give birth every year in this country. You have had plenty of warning. Plan for it.

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!

Paul, that is priceless, yes, this is what i tell people (OK women, aquaintances and my sil) if your contractions start - dont panic!!! have you ages, clear up the mess(if your waters have broken) and see what happens, you have LOADS of time to get to the hospital.

OK, unless you are a 20 minuter and live in the middle of nowhere :)

Paul, please have lots of fun in Spain and please come back online as soon as you can after you emigrate and g:)t settled, cos we are going to miss you loads

XXXXX

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

OK, unless you are a 20 minuter and live in the middle of nowhere :)

**** happens Jules - I've delivered 6 in my career (8 years in the job).I have colleagues who haven't done one in 20 years or more. Baby Slayer was a 40 hour job and then wound up in SCBU. I didn't sleep for 5 days but I did get to see a side of Mrs Slayer that I never imagined I would see - the inside!

Anyway - back to Louis point - don't take the **** out of the service.

If you pay for illegal drugs and they "make you feel funny" - that's what you paid for!

Drunk and incapable is not a medical condition - it's a criminal offence. If your mate gets ****ed, take him/her home, put them on their side and clean up the aftermath.

The phantom drink spiker does not exist. Your average drug dealer does not spend his whole week mugging old ladies to get money for his stash to go around giving it to complete strangers.Your mate took something. Tell us! We ain't the police and you get correct treatment sooner.

Rant over!

Advice given is either my experience or my opinion and is given without liability. If in doubt, consult a qualified professional.

If you PM me for advice I will only reply in your own thread

Never under estimate your ability. I won over £17,000!

For the full story - look here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/NatWest-bank/17630-thecobbettslayer-NatWest.html

damned right!!

oh, and my next door neighbour is a 20 minuter, both times, thankfully, we live 8 minutes (going at 40mph, which you can here, all the way to the hospital) away from the Mat Unit, so whats the worry, you still have 10 mins to get comfey and "pop ite a pink un" ;)

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

I think that everyone should have some sort of first-aid training. I did the Red Cross first-aid at work course a few years ago and every minute of the course and the three-year refreshers was time well spent.

I have had the opportunity to use my training on a couple of occasions, including delivering my first son, who was breech.

Remember that it is FIRST AID. You are not expected do administer medicines or anything like that. The course, including CPR is well within the ability of 95% of the public and, with the possible exception of learning to swim is the single most useful life-skill that you can acquire.

I take my hat off the the ambulance crews..... they do a difficult job, often under difficult conditions.

Well Done.:D

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Guest louis wu
Drunk and incapable is not a medical condition - it's a criminal offence. If your mate gets ****ed, take him/her home, put them on their side and clean up the aftermath.

Has anyone ever told you that you've got a way with words:D.

Anyway, cheers for your posts mate, you eloquence has long been admired by many, and as always you've hit the nail squarely on the head. (plus you've got 5 more deliveries than me:), but lots less than mrs wu....she's a madwife...spelling mistake intentional;))

Rooster, again spot on in your comments. First aid is not rocket science, but can literally be the difference between life and death (or at least giving someone a fighting chance).

Lula,

"pop ite a pink un" :wink:

I've never heard it put that way before, and did have me scratching my head for a minute, but yes, pink/healthy and 5 of the things it should have 5 of is always important.

if your contractions start - dont panic!!! have you ages, clear up the mess(if your waters have broken) and see what happens, you have LOADS of time to get to the hospital.

Errr, yes, except that's how I ended up nearly having DD in the ambulance, because that's what everybody said, "especially if it's your first", and I ended up dawdling (if that's the right word for when you are in absolute agony) for 3 hours 45 mn, and when the ambulance arrived, contractions were 1 mn apart and DD was born less than 15 mns later. When I queried this with the midwife later, she cheerfully said: "Oh yes, it happens like this sometimes, quite rare, we call it "short, but sharp labour!" :-x Thanks for warning me, mate! :evil:

And yes, CS, it was an ambulance, at the time and the place, that's what we were told to do! (Just as well in my case)

Louis

"pop ite a pink un"
is a Potteries phrase, which wouldnt have been appropriate in the case of the birth of the monkey, he ws purple LOL

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Errr, yes, except that's how I ended up nearly having DD in the ambulance, because that's what everybody said, "especially if it's your first", and I ended up dawdling (if that's the right word for when you are in absolute agony) for 3 hours 45 mn, and when the ambulance arrived, contractions were 1 mn apart and DD was born less than 15 mns later. When I queried this with the midwife later, she cheerfully said: "Oh yes, it happens like this sometimes, quite rare, we call it "short, but sharp labour!" :-x Thanks for warning me, mate! :evil:

And yes, CS, it was an ambulance, at the time and the place, that's what we were told to do! (Just as well in my case)

Well, when I said wait and see what happens, I meant see "if" contractions start, not wait until you are in agony with contractions a minute apart lol With my DD, my waters broke and I thought I had wet myself :o she STILL had to be induced as she showed no signs of budging, this was when she was 14 days over and showed no signs of shifting, the blooming child has been late for everything ever since :evil:

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled