MBNA DD problems, Hi from Guernsey

Hightower 123

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5123 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, new to site after being so incensed at intimidation tactics from MNBA today, did a Google on 'Problems with MBNA' and hey presto found this amazing site.

FACTS are: Paid off my balance in full in May 07 (over £3000), previously set up DD at MBNA's request as I missed payment date by accident a couple of times, therefore incuring excessive penalty charges for late payment (£20) plus had my 0% interets rate removed. To be fair, when I queried it, I was refunded in full with no question (about the same time as the BBC programme was aired). However on clearing my account, I did not realise that I had to cancel the DD, I presumed they would not collect it, as I did not owe them anything... WRONG!! According to them they request the DD 14 days before due date, therefore when I settled in full 8 days before due date, they had already requested the DD payment of £12.44, this they refunded 2 days later, this is where it gets good..... PLUS a returned DD fee of £12 + £4.41 interest, all of which I ignored, as I thought they had obviously made a mistake and would rectify it....WRONG AGAIN. Because, stupidly I didn't deal with the matter earlier, they are now going to chase me for over £50 (Crazy in the big scheme of things, I know). Technically they are probably right, what angered me however was the womans attitude when I phoned them today to try and sort it out. She was not prepared to listen to anything I said, and when we were getting nowhere (despite severe provocation, trying my best to remain calm and not swearing at the silly c**) she resorted to the threats, like: Your details will be sent to the credit reference agency and 'You won’t be able to obtain credit’ or simply ‘We'll take you to court’. I have never had a debt problem in my life, I regularly use 4-5 differnet CC's, but either pay off balances in full every month or do the usual switching between providers to obtain extended 0% terms and now because of £4.41 Interest I am going to be listed as a bad debt, even though I've got impeccable credit references for over 25 years, all because of these idiots (language moderated).

I am amazed at the extent of the problems highlighted on this site and hope that someone can offer some advice. I don't expect for one minute they will be so stupid as to waste time & money chasing such a miniscule debt (also I am in Guernsey, Channel Islands, which is a completely different system to the CCJ sytem in UK), but I could be wrong. It's this stupid womans attitude that has wound me up so much. Would be interested to hear from anyone in similar position, but particularly from anyone else in the Channel Islands. One of the comments I saw on Google sums it up simply 'Do not touch MBNA with a 10 foot barge pole'.... HOW TRUE

Sorry to hear about your problems with MBNA. I would write asking for a copy of their complaints procedure, if they then don't deal with this to your satisfaction you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service. You could also telephone Trading Standards, don't know whether you would have a local TS and whether they would act, do a Google search on Trading Standards, type in MBNA's postcode and it will come up with the appropriate TS.

Never speak to these call centre people on the 'phone, they are useless,ignorant and rude. If they keep ringing you, use the harassment template letter. They haven't got a leg to stand on and are totally in the wrong!:evil:

Many thanks Miss Muppet, sounds like a good start to me, just received my standard default letter yesterday (6th Sept), similar to other versions I have seen posted on forum. Just can't believe that they want to pursue me over £4.41 interest! One part of me says, 'Just pay them to get rid' but as everyone will I'm sure agree, it's the principle and the attitude of the call centre staff.

Thanks for your help.