style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6048 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi ll about 9 years ago i bought a car had it reposessed after making several payment but when my partner died i couldnt afford thing so they took it back today i got a call telling me well they called the neighbour to pass there number on , weel it to claim the rest of themoney for the car they said they sold it for 1500 and i owe around 4-5 thousand i think they say im getting the sherrif officers out , but i have had no contact in all these years fro them im scared as i only own the cloths i satnd in . is there a time limit in scotland for such a debt im really in a state today over this will i contact a lawyer can anyone help asap thanks snowi xx:(

The Law in Scotland is that providing you have made no payments within the past five years, nor acknowledged the debt within that period-and that they have not applied a CCJ on the account, then the debt is unenforceable.

Therefore they cannot send round round anyone from the Sheriffs office since the Court would refuse to allow them to pursue the debt because of the length of time that has passed.

It is better to deal with these people in writing, not on the phone as they can say things that they would not dare to put in writing. They know the debt is statute barred but are trying to frighten you into paying.

If you know for sure that you have had no dealings with this debt for at least

five years, all you need to check is that there is no County Court Judgement

on your account. To do that you will need to check your credit file with the

three credit reference agencies-which you can find by using the search

facility on the first page of the forum.If they are all clear then you have

nothing to worry about.

PS Do not spend money on lawyers.