Capital One and Lowells Financial......

matty6678
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6049 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

This is my first post here however I have a nifty problem that I could do with some help on....

About 2 weeks ago I recieved a letter from Lowell's claiming that they had purchased a debt from Capital One on £600. I was a little surprised by this as I had had a Capital One card (a few years back - 3 I think??) but from the 1st month had issues with them. I made the 1st payment within the required time frame and it didn't get applied to my account till a day past the due date.... bam £50 late payment charge and £30 over limit fee (as I recall). I spoke to them and they said read the T & Cs and they wouldn't refund the charge. At this point I got really peeved and told them where they could shove their card and asked them to agree terms to close and settle the account. Nothing came, a month later another statement arrived from them with a further £50 late payment and £30 over limit fee.

Again I phoned them and told them that I was officially disputing the account and the charges on it and made them an offer (on the now £340 odd apparent ballance) of £300 just to get rid of it paid there and then. They refused telling me the full ammount was due. I told them where to go and for good measure wrote to them confirming this offer. And as far as I was concerend that was it - take it or leave it. I heard nothing for a few months save later on the calls started from a spotty teenager calling "on behalf of Captial One" and all I did was tell them I was disputing the account and was awaiting a respose and that seemed to satisfy them. A month later I moved house and the wife had a baby so it slipped into the depths of history..... Or so I though...............

Que the letter from Lowell's (having tracked me down to my new adress where I have been for almost 3 years now!!)

Before taking any further action I went to my bank and asked the manager (who I know personally) if he had any info re The capital One debt and / or Lowells. He came back to me and told me a) He had been told that Lowell's are vicious idiot's who have a set script for extracting money from people b) that if they have indeed bought the debt, which I should confimr, that they will have at most paid around 30p in the pound for it and c) That he had found from their creidt systems that about 2 years ago - about 6 months after I moved house Capital One had a CCJ awarded against me (which until this point I knew nothing about) at my old address.

So questions......

1. What does it mean if the debt has been sold - does the CCJ still stand ? (personnaly I can't see how it can as Captital One have dischaged themselves from any interest in the debt) What should I do now?

2. What the hell should I do re Lowell's - as (thank god they only have my address and not my phone number) they are threatinging to do all sorts to me via the post on a weekly basis. - How should I deal with this?

Edit -

3. Forgot the most important one - what the hell should I do about the CCJ?

I still stand by the offer of £300 to get rid of the debt

Thanks

:(

Are you sure there is a CCJ against this debt. If there was it seems strange that it hasnt been enforced

Dont worry too much about Clownells. They are **** and easily beaten.

You need to send a SAR letter to Crap One to see what illegal charges are on this alleged debt

Now, certain others will come on to guide you properly on this but I believe you could write to the court where the ccj was registered and request a set aside. all that you have described here is 'treatable'. The reason I'm answering is to tell people a little known fact about moving and tracing you.

When you move you more often than not put a re-direction of mail with Royal Mail. Well not only do you have your mail re directed you also get thrown in 'for free' as part of the 'service' a free mailer to all the credit referencing agencies and all the companies who subscribe to royal mails service to inform on everyone that moves and where to. NOTHING is private anymore. It is scandalous.

When I queried this with Royal Mail they said it was done to save me writing to everyone informing them - I couldn't believe it. So Royal Mail will be making money out of this service too.

As for Lowells, I'd CCA them and S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) them not forgetting the £1 and £10 get your information put together before letting off steam. Once you've got that then the process will begin. Good Luck - you are not alone now...you are in good hands.

PS ODC was typing the same time - thanks ODC

Thanks for your replies, I am pretty sure about the CCJ from the info my friend gave me and am appying to Experian for a copy of my credit file to make sure. As I have no info as to the possilbe CCJ where would I find out the court that issued it?

Who should I send the CCA and SAR to as I have just re-read the Lowell's letters and they state quite clearly that they have bought the debt? Do they go to capital one or Lowell's.

Thanks

SAR Crap One to see when they sold the debt and also to confirm if their was a CCJ issued. It will also show if a deed of assignment was ever issued. The SAR should also give you details of any charges Crap One put on your account.

CCA Clownells because all they will have from Crap One is an application form,