• Tweets

• https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/406231-the-pre-action-protocol-for-debt-claims-is-made-by-the-master-of-the-rolls-as-head-of-civil-justice-1st-oct-2017/#comment-5145126  
    • Quick update. I've now recieved a letter before action from them with a PAP form to return enclosed, still no credit agreement however. I assume just a case of following the PAP thread and returning form with no CCA as the reason?
    • Thanks for coming back and letting us know. Obviously we totally disagree with their decision.  Their remortgaging could only have gone wrong if they had ended up with a CCJ.  And how do you get a CCJ?  If you lose in court and then defy the court and don't pay.  Even if you lose in court, you don't get a CCJ as long as you pay within the 30 days ordered by the court.  Even had they lost in court the judge would have disallowed the interest and the £70 Unicorn Food Tax that PE made up.  There was no advantage whatsoever for giving in and paying now. But thanks to you for letting us know - a hell of a lot of users don't.
    • Hi everyone.   Before I say anything, TFL finally responded to the email I sent last week:   Thank you for your email, we acknowledge the signed documents you have returned in preparation for your hearing.   We note that this matter is causing you some stress and anxiety, however this is not a reason for TfL to discontinue proceedings. It is not unusual for passengers that have been summonsed to court to experience these symptoms, and we do have some empathy with your concerns.   However, as previously stated, TfL do not accept out of court settlements, and you will have the opportunity at your hearing, to provide your mitigation to the court prior to a decision being reached by them on how they intend to deal with this matter (usually a fine).   I am sorry that this decision is not more favourable.   Yours sincerely   James Vallis     At least he sounds more sympathetic in this email…   Only one week to go until the court hearing and I am so so nervous. I’ve prepared some questions and answers in preparation for what to say to the magistrate. It will help calm me down if I know roughly what to expect. If you could give feedback on it that would be great. If you have anything to add please do let me know.   As far as I know the court hearing will happen in these stages: Introduction and statement of facts Pleading guilty for the journeys I made with my mother’s card Penalty sentencing Appeal (if charged with a criminal record)   Am I guilty? Yes.   Why did I not pay the fare legally? Last year there was a lot going on in my life and I was struggling financially so to relieve some of this I used my mother’s Oyster card. I know it’s not an excuse and it’s still wrong.   Why do I not accept a criminal record? I really don’t want it to affect my chances of finding a job in the future. I will be the one earning money in my family so I am doing my best and studying hard to be able to get a good job. A criminal record would mean that regardless of how hard I’m working I won’t get the job I want after I graduate. This fills me with so much regret, sadness and disappointment in myself. I just want to be a good daughter for my mother because she’s already had to deal with many hardships in her life and I don’t want to make it any harder for her.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Chica vs Abbey ** WON **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6063 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Abbey have submitted a defence.

Basically, it reads:

1. Save as is specifically admitted in this Defence, the Defendant denies each and every allegation set out in the Particulars of Claim.

2. It is admitted that the Claimant has a current bank account with the Defendant, account number to be particularised("Account")

3. At all times the Account has been subject to the applicable terms and conditions("Conditions"), which form part of the contract between the Claimant and the Defendant and to which the Claimant agreed when he opened the Account. The Defendant will refer at trail to the full Conditions but for the purposes of this Defence will refer to the following extracts:

(1) "You can apply for an overdraft on your Account. If we give you an overdraft we will tell you your limit and the interest rate applicable.

(2) "An unauthorised overdraft occurs if without our agreement you overdraw your Account or exceed the limit of an overdraft which we have agreed."

(3) "If you have an unauthorised overdraft, you will be charged fees as set out in our Tariff of Charges or specified to you and these may include fees for transactions we are unable to process due to lack of available funds in your Account."

4. Throughout the period that he has had the Account, the Claimant recieved a number of copies of the Conditions and of the said Tariff of Charges as they were amended and updated(though there has been no material amendment to the Conditions extracted in paragraphs 3(1), (2) and (3) above).

5. Any overdraft facility on the Account was (and is) subject to the Conditions.

6. The Claimant has overdrawn or exceeded authorised overdraft limits on the Account on a number of seperate occasions, full details of which will be provided on disclosure. Therfore by virtue of the Conditions referred to in paragraph 3 above such overdrawing was unauthorised and in breach of contract and the Claimant became liable to pay fees to the Defendant in accordance with its Tariff of Charges applicable at the relevant time. In accordance with the Conditions, such fees were debited to the Account.

7. In view of the facts and matters referred to in paragraphs 3,4,5 and 6 above, the Defendant denies that the amount of £2000.25 or any other amount, was unlawfully debited to the Account and the Claimant's claim for the repayment of that amount is therefore denied.

8. The Claimant's contention that the said fees are unenforceable and/or are "penalty charges" is denied. The fees reflect and are proportinate to the Defendant's administrative expenses incurred due to the Claimant's breach of contract and are a genuine pre-estimate of the damages suffered by the Defendant.

9. Further or in the alternative, even if the said fees are not proportinate to the Defendant's administrative expenses incurred(which is denied), the Claimant remains liable to pay such fees as may be found to be proportionate and the Claimant is not entitled to claim repayment of the full amount of each charges made to the Account.

10. No admissions are made as to the amounts claimed by the Claimant and the Claimant is put to strict proof of the same.

The Defendant believes that the facts stated in this defense are true.

I am duly authorised by the Defendant to su=ign this statement.

Full name Inga Kirkham

Positon Held: Legal Officer

Date 25 October 2006.

I also have atransference to my local court and an allocation questionaire to fill in!!!!!!!!!!1

HELP!!!

Bank charges: Abbey won in 2006, Halifax won in 2006, Capital One won in 2006.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So how do I go about filling in the Allocation Questionaire? Thanks in advance Lesser1010

Went to the courts to day to hand in my allocation questionnaire N149 and was told it was the wrong form. Apparetnly I should be filling in N150. Have I cocked up somewhere? Worried now.

It was sent in the post with my transference notice from the courts itself. The lady said that because my claim is for over £1500 I need to fill out N150.

I'm going to fill in both. Unless anyone else has any ideas? Thanks for your help philread1.

I think the lady on Monday was having a bad day, because I took the N149 in again today and it was accepted with no problems.

Here goes....wonder how long for a hearing date or do you think they will settle before then? Am going away just after christmas....hope I get it before then!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Recieved a general form of judgement or order today from the Local Court.

It says:

Upon the Courts own motion. The Court has made this order of its own initiative withoput a hearing. If you object to the order, you must make an application to hace it set aside, varied or stayed within 7 days of recieving it.

It is ordered that:

1) The claim is allocated to the Small Claims Track.

2) Both parties shall, by 4pm on 22 December 2006, file at court and serve on each other the witness statements of themselves and of all witnesses (other than expert witnesses) on whom they intend to rely.

3) No party shall rely on or adduce the evidence of any witness whose statement has not been served in accordance with this Order without further permission from the court.

4) The matter be referred to District Judge... for final case amnagement directions upon filing of the statements ordered to be filed in paragraph 2 above.

5) Because this Order has been made by the Court without considering reprensentation from the parties, the parties have the right to applt to have the order set aside, varied otr stayed. A party wishing to make an application must send or deliver the application to the court (together with any appropiate fee) to arrive within seven days of service of this order.

Dated 24th November 2006.

1)What does this mean in english!!!???

2) I take it I'm not getting my money back before xmas??:sad:

Guest willowb

Hiya, I'd interpret it like this..... but I could be wrong!

1) The claim is allocated to the Small Claims Track. Fine!:)

2) Both parties shall, by 4pm on 22 December 2006, file at court and serve on each other the witness statements of themselves and of all witnesses (other than expert witnesses) on whom they intend to rely.Remember, you ticked NO to witnesses on your AQ!...so, fine again!

3) No party shall rely on or adduce the evidence of any witness whose statement has not been served in accordance with this Order without further permission from the court. You won't be serving any because you don't have any.

4) The matter be referred to District Judge... for final case amnagement directions upon filing of the statements ordered to be filed in paragraph 2 above. You won't be sending any staements in

5) Because this Order has been made by the Court without considering reprensentation from the parties, the parties have the right to applt to have the order set aside, varied otr stayed. A party wishing to make an application must send or deliver the application to the court (together with any appropiate fee) to arrive within seven days of service of this order.

You don't need a set aside.

Phone the Court on monday and get some advice but my interpretation would be that you need do nothing. I'm really not an expert though so do phone them up or wait for another response.

Wxx

Excellent!! Thankyou ever so much!! I should donate all my money when I get it back because without this site I wouldn't be getting anything!!;)

I'm always telling people about this site and I hope that they manage to get the same help I have done!!!

Is there any chance that this will be all settled before the 22nd of December?

I've been reading some other threads and most people get 50% offers after filing the AQ...I've not recieved any!!!

I really, really don't want to go to court!!!:eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Will the programme on BBC 2 the other night, make anything difference to the witness statement above? I haven't done it yet as I was waiting to see if Abbey settled out of court, but so far it doesn't look that way!!!

Has the 'The Money Programme' on BBC 2 , made a difference to anybodies claim? I'm going to sort out the witness statement tonight.

Case No: xxx

In the Bury County Court

[xxx]

CLAIMANT

-AND-

[Abbey National PLC]

DEFENDANT

First WITNESS STATEMENT

OF xxxx

I, xxxof xxxxwill say as follows:-

1. I am the Claimant in this case.

2. I make this Witness Statement in support of claim against the defendant.

3. I make this Witness Statement from information and facts within my own knowledge and which I believe to be true.

4. On the 26 June 2006 I wrote to the defendant requesting a refund of unlawful charges levied against my account. A reply was received on the 30 June 2006 stating that a member of the complaints team would be looking into my complaint and I would receive a reply to my complaint within 4 weeks time.

5. I wrote to the defendant on 12 July 2006 with my intention to file a claim in the courts.

6. A letter was received on the 26 July 2006 stating that Abbey were sorry that they had given me cause to complain but that the charges were set out in the Terms and Conditions of the Account which I signed when I opened my account in November 2004. They also offered to reverse pending charges as a gesture of goodwill of £220 which I accepted in a letter dated 12 August 2006 as a partial payment of my claim.

7. On the 18th August 2006, the aforementioned £220 charges were taking from my bank account and as such a series of telephone calls ensued, which resulted in the charges being refunded back into my account.

8. I received another letter from the Abbey dated 23 August 2006, reiterating the fact that Abbey were sorry I felt I had cause to complain about their charges on my Current Account. I was reminded that a full investigation had been carried out and that no further refunds would be offered.

9. On the 25 September 2006 I filed with Bury County Court a claim against the defendant for the return of excessive penalty charges as outlined in my particulars of claim.

Statement of Truth

I believe the facts stated within this Witness Statement to be true and exhibit Exhibits comprising of 01 page.

Dated this day of 2006

Signed

20 December 2006

Can someone check this over please!!! I've been really ill and this is the first chance I've had to do this witness statement. It needs to be filed on Friday!!!AAARRGHHH

Revised Witness Statement

I, xxxxof xxxxxwill say as follows:-

1. I am the Claimant in this case.

2. I make this Witness Statement in support of claim against the defendant.

3. I make this Witness Statement from information and facts within my own knowledge and which I believe to be true.

4. I have a contract with the defendant bank dated Nov 2004 and on the 26 June 2006 I wrote to the defendant requesting a refund of unlawful charges levied against my account. I am claiming the return of money taken by the defendant in the way of charges over the last 2 years plus the interest they have levied on those charges. The bank's charges are a disproportionate penalty and therefore unenforceable as they are contrary to common law. A reply was received on the 30 June 2006 stating that a member of the complaints team would be looking into my complaint and I would receive a reply to my complaint within 4 weeks time.

5. I wrote to the defendant on 12 July 2006 with my intention to file a claim in the courts due to the fact that the bank’s charges are a disproportionate penalty.

6. A letter was received on the 26 July 2006 stating that Abbey were sorry that they had given me cause to complain but that the charges were set out in the Terms and Conditions of the Account which I signed when I opened my account in November 2004. They also offered to reverse pending charges as a gesture of goodwill of £220 which I accepted in a letter dated 12 August 2006 as a partial payment of my claim.

7. On the 18th August 2006, the aforementioned £220 charges were taken from my bank account and as such a series of telephone calls ensued, which resulted in the charges being refunded back into my account.

8. I received another letter from the Abbey dated 23 August 2006, reiterating the fact that Abbey were sorry I felt I had cause to complain about their charges on my Current Account. I was reminded that a full investigation had been carried out and that no further refunds would be offered.

9. On the 25 September 2006 I filed with Bury County Court a claim against the defendant for the return of excessive penalty charges as outlined in my particulars of claim.

10. My claim is that the bank's charges are a disproportionate penalty and therefore unenforceable as they are contrary to common law. Further, as a disproportionate penalty they are invalid under the Unfair (Contracts) Terms Act 1977 s.4 and under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. Para.8 and sch.2(1)(e). In the event that the charges are not a penalty then they are unreasonable within the meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15.

11. I have repeatedly asked the bank to justify their charges but they have declined to do so. As reported on a recent BBC2 ‘The Money Programme’, three experts have researched for a period of time and their conclusion is that the maximum cost incurred to process a ‘bounced cheque’ is £4.50 and a ‘direct debit or unauthorised overdraft’ is £2.50. Therefore being charged £20-£35 for the same ‘service’ is unlawful.

12. I am claiming interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from 21 Mar 2005 to 15 Sept 2006 of £1892.00 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of 0.42p

Statement of Truth

I believe the facts stated within this Witness Statement to be true and exhibit Exhibits comprising of 02 pages.

Right I'm going to print that later today and drop it off later at the courts!!! Do Abbey need their copy tomorrow aswell or can I send that 1st class???

I'm printing this off soon and I just wanted to make sure that everyone thought this was okay to send as a witness statement??

12.Accordingly the Claimant claims:

i. The return of the amounts debited in respect of charges in the sum of £xxxxxxxxx (which includes overdraft interest charged;) as set out on the attached list of charges.

ii. Court costs (court fee of £XXX.00, Allocation Questionnaire fee of £100.00).

iii. interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from 21 Mar 2005 to 15 Sept 2006 of £1892.00 as set out on the attached list of charge,and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of 0.42p

Is £1892 the charges? This figure should be the s69 8% interest

12.Accordingly the Claimant claims:

i. The return of the amounts debited in respect of charges in the sum of £1892.00 as set out on the attached list of charges.

ii. Court costs (court fee of £120.00, Allocation Questionnaire fee of £100.00).

iii. interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from 21 Mar 2005 to 15 Sept 2006 of £XXX (8% interest figure)as set out on the attached list of charge,and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of 0.42p