Legality of leaving engine running unattended

jaffacat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3971 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone let me know if it is illegal to leave your engine running when your car is unattended? I`m pretty sure it is. The problem I have is that I live in a very small town with one traffic warden and everybody hates her. I have noticed however that when she is off duty and goes to the shop or the bank etc., she leaves her car running. If this is illegal then I can get my own back on her for all the tickets I`ve ever recieved by reporting her to the police. She is employed by the police but they all hate her aswell!

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Staffordshire Police,

Don’t leave your vehicle with the keys in the ignition at any time, including when you’re loading or unloading shopping or baggage. And leaving the engine running to 'warm up' during the winter months not only risks having the vehicle stolen, it’s against the law. Drivers should always be in control of their vehicles when the engine is running.

Negligent use of a motor vehicle - Prosecutable

Unattended - engine running or brake not set

Driver not in proper control of vehicle

• Haha 1

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Wouldnt it be awful if her car was stolen???????????? She wouldnt be covered for a penny

HSBC 1st preliminary letter £3692 10.10.06 LBA sent 24.10.06

HSBC 1st Preliminary Letter £3280 10.10.06 LBA sent 24.10.06

Capital 1 SADR 11.10.006

Halifax Visa SADR 11.10.06

CITI SADR 12.10.06

HSBC Gold card SADR 23.10.06

I'm not aware of any specific offence - although some that do exist and are non-specific could be brought to bear. It would be up to the officer at the scene to decide. As for getting the police to take action against a traffic warden, they might be disinclined. However, if somebody happened to steal the vehicle.... :)

The offence is against S42 of the RTA 1988.

This section deals with Construction & Use offences.

Quitting is dealt with by Regulation 107(1) of The Road Vehicles (Constriction and Use) Regulation 1986 (SI 1986/1078 )

Unfortunately the OPSI website only goes back as far as 1987 on-line so I can't link it.

Ta - I was trying to find stats for actual use of this as a prosecutable offence, and I can't discover any percentages!

Addendum:

Regulation 107(2)(a). This states that no person shall cause or permit to be on any road any motor vehicle which is not attended by a person duly licensed to drive it unless the engine is stopped and the parking brake is effectively set. Exemptions to the requirements of this Regulation as to the stopping of the engine include a fire brigade vehicle, the engine of which is being used for any fire brigade purpose.

The above appears to be the exception that proves the rule - the Emergency services have been given a waiver from the above regulation. But the Traffic Warden's vehicle in the OP probably doesn't cut it!

Insurance WILL NOT pay out under any circumstances if you leave the engine running or the keys in the ignition ;)

When I worked for Vodafone, The Boss of our building left their keys in the company car when he went to pay for petrol, suffice to say the car was stolen.

How we laughed when we found out.

about 13/14 years ago, i received a fixed penalty for leaving my vehicle unattended with the engine running.

I had parked it at the door of the bakers on a saturday morning and ran in to buy rolls for breakfast, a friendly police officer walked by, opened the door and removed the keys, i was standing no more than 3 metres away and watching in disbelief.

I remember the charge involved 'leaving vehicle running while unattended/hand brake off'

the joys eh.. .. .. ..

• 1 month later...

It is a £30 fine and a non endorseable ticket.

Halifax CCA letter sent 3 May

2 x CL Finance letters sent 3 May

Halifax and CL letters received 6 May

Halifax responded with valid CCA, but need to query default

CL Finance failed to provide CCA by 2 July - letter sent

The only way to try and get them for the offence would be

1. To have enough witnesses to counter thier claim it did not happen,

then put in a complaint.

2. Get a traffic warden to book them (Can't see that happening)

3. Get the police to book them (very unlikely. Will just slap thier wrist)

I would be tempted to make a note of the make, model amd VRM of the vehicle.

I would then remove the keys and deliver them to the local Police station - purely as a crime prevention measure of course!

Is this a traffic warden (police employed) or a parking attendant (council employed)?

• 1 month later...
Surely the keys need to be in the ignition to have the engine running :)

The key ignition system could have been bypassed.

I leave my car running unattended outside my house on cold mornings as do many people. The risk is it gets nicked.

Sounds like you just want to get revenge in this case.

The key ignition system could have been bypassed.

I leave my car running unattended outside my house on cold mornings as do many people. The risk is it gets nicked.

Sounds like you just want to get revenge in this case.

Nevertheless. it is an offence to do this on the public road.

On my drive, I also start the car and leave it to defrost. However, I lock it with the spare set of keys.

Can anyone let me know if it is illegal to leave your engine running when your car is unattended? I`m pretty sure it is. The problem I have is that I live in a very small town with one traffic warden and everybody hates her. I have noticed however that when she is off duty and goes to the shop or the bank etc., she leaves her car running. If this is illegal then I can get my own back on her for all the tickets I`ve ever recieved by reporting her to the police. She is employed by the police but they all hate her aswell!

Any advice gratefully recieved.

I'm sure someone out there must love her.

Jaffacat.

Do the right thing...next time you see the car running jump in and drive it away....preferably into a river. :):):) Ha ha ha

I can just see the Wardens face chasing you down the road....lol..lol..lol

DO IT DO IT DO IT.

Just~Me

Please dont think the picture is me.!!! I couldnt find one of myself so decided to use one of the wife. :):)

• 1 year later...
Can anyone comment on whether the laws on leaving a vehicle unattended whilst the engine is running apply to situations where the vehicle is on a private drive or front garden?

On private land it is not an offence, however, any theft claim would still be turned down by the insurer concerned

Mossy

Mobile phone footage of this happening oh about 6 or 7 times may do the trick with the local bobbies.

PLEASE DONATE ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Go on, click me scales (if I have helped) :grin: