Mayday: References from letting agent

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6073 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am moving to a new place. Now my new letting agent is asking for reference for my old place(landlord/letting agent), whereas my old letting agent is in no mood to give me reference.

Furthermore, its just two more days for my notice, and my letting agent is threatening to move in new tenants. I really dont know how to deal with this situation.

Regards,

Hassan Amin

You cant force him to give a reference...

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I would say your only option is to tell your new agent that you cannot get a reference from your old agent. Failing that, wait for your current landlord to forcibly evict you, at significant cost to yourself.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

HassanAmin in reply to your post:

1.Have you always paid your rent in a timely fashion and through your bank account - if yes then provide the new letting agent with copies of your bank statements.

2.The second option would be to pay several months rent upfront plus the deposit.

3.The third option would be to deal directly with landlorda rather than through agents as in some cases they do not need/want a references from the new potential tenants.

I hope this helps.

If you have more questions,please free to ask.