Hello.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6078 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone.

I joined these forums back in May and have received some invaluable help. I just thought I should formally introduce myself to some of the other regulars and to any future recruits. I thought this post would quickly get swamped in the main intro section and doubt many of you would look in there that often. Also, as this is where I am inevitably 'lurking' I decided to post here.

I experienced some serious bad health when I was younger (specific physical health problem) and in combination with University and general 'stupidity of youth' I built up some considerable debts. I think I ended up owing about £25,000. I somehow managed to service these debts for a couple of years after University, but bank charges eventually sent me under. Everything just collapsed and my health problem deteriorated and I suffered a lot mentally. I just couldn't cope and buried my head in the sand. My debts are now statute barred and I am going to start digging around my credit record soon and getting rid of any lingering creditors still hassling me. I will soon be in complete control (hopefully!) and can have a brand new start in my life. One thing at a time, slowly but surely. :) :) What I can say with a lot of conviction is never again! What a nightmare.

A year after my world fell apart it came to light that my elderly father had also built up some huge debts. Over £100,000! :o :o This had happened over a period of 20 years and he had somehow kept it hidden from my mum and I. He was also in a terrible state and his health suffered too. He took his share of the equity in the property and managed to clear a good chunk of the debts. I am now trying to help him get completely debt free. We have already battled and won one court case (with CAG help) and successfully defended a stat demand from another creditor through a CCA request. We have CCAed the remaining creditors and not one of them has come up with anything yet. Fingers crossed!

Neither my father or I are proud of what has happened, but you can't change the past. You can change the future though. The DCA's we have both encountered have invariably been very nasty indeed. Now do you put up with that like scared mice or do you fight back? I say you fight back. They don't have the right to treat people the way they do because they have had the misfortune or ignorance to build up debts. I am sure of that. They could and should behave a lot better towards debtors. My solution is ***EXPANSION***. That is what they must fear. They won't change until we hurt them. I sincerely believe that. The more people that get here the better. And remember it is the probably the most messed up that generally don't manage to get help. If you think you know someone with a debt problem mention this site.

I hope to build up my knowledge and stay part of these forums for the foreseeable future. I aim to completely resolve the affairs of my father and I and at the same time do my utmost to help other people. I also want to promote these forums as much as possible. Now I will do my best to behave, but I do have a habit of wading in with my size 25's. I can't help it though. I do hate DCAs' so much and have a lot more steam to eject. Not because 'they are DCA's', but because of the 'way they conduct business'. If I upset any of the good folk on here I am sorry. It is never my intention to upset anyone. Blame it on the DCA's for creating me, they have driven me bonkers! :D :D I will take criticism in good spirits though. We are on the same side.

Thanks.

• Haha 2

What sort of world do you want your kids to grow up in?

I understand exactly where you are coming from. DCAs are the most IGNORANT And ARROGANT bunch of so and sos I ever had to deal with. Like you IO could say a lot worse about them but then the CAGBOT would tear my post to shreds. They are ill trained and ill advised. Their overiding goal seems to be to get as much money from ALLEGED DEBTORS by whatever means possible. 99% of these methods are illegal and as anyone reading these forums will discover in the vast majority of cases the DCAs do not even have a legal right to demand the money because they do not have ANY legal paperwork with which to prove the debt. All the telephone chasers want to do is boost their monthly bonuses and to hell with how they do it or what happens to the Alleged Debtor. No doubt some of the DCA apologists will come on with the usual crap about how people shouldnt get into debt. We all know we shouldnt get into debt and the vast majority on here are in debt because of no fault of their own, Ill Health, Marriage Breakdowns, Redundancy and Greedy Banks are just some of the reasons. The DCAs do not care just as long as they get their pound of flesh. Sites like this should be widely publicised in Citizens Advice Bureaux and Public Libraries. People should be made aware of thei legal rights and also of the responsiblities of the DCAs not to lie, bully, cheat or intimidate people.

In all my dealings with DCAs I can honestly say that only one has shown the slightest bit of understanding. I owed the money, they proved I owed the money. We came to an amicable agreement about paying it back. If I failed to make a repayment when due I got a reminder call (no threats or lies involved just a ''do you realise you have not paid this month'') If for some reason I was unable to pay I contacted them and more often than not I was told thats fine we will hear from you next month.

Why cant all the DCAs adopt a sensible attitude and Im sure they would have greater success in getting some sort of payment towards a debt. Instead they go on the offensive straight away with their threatograms and pestering phone calls. As a result they get peoples backs up and we google them and end up here.

renegotiation - :):) xx

and ODC as well ;) xx

I think the bigger CAG becomes, the more responsible we have to be to keep it going.

Many of these DCAs act criminally, and they would have us believe that we're criminals too. They have a particular mindset, maybe it gives them what they feel is an excuse for what they do.

But there isn't any excuse.

If you're feeling vulnerable - as most people are when in debt - their practices are terrifying. But as you both say, CAG empowers us. And what I see here is that the people who've suffered the most from these DCAs find it difficult to hold back when they discover they have the right to challenge them. I want to cheer when these creatures are exposed, every single time. And we haven't had a fraction of the hassle some people here have had.

But we have to be mindful of the fact that this is an open forum, and that it will be read by DCAs. As CAG grows, these 'spies' will look harder and harder for reasons to complain.

There are many thousands of people here, and for all of us CAG has been a lifeline. We have to help it grow, like you both say. I personally cannot tolerate the idea that people are still being victimised by DCAs, and won't stop until there is some solid legislation to protect people who are trying to do the right thing anyway.

My background is mental health nursing, and my own experience goes way beyond training. I know just how vulnerable people can be, and I'll fight damned hard to make sure they're not exposed to the crude psychological tactics the DCAs think it's okay to use. It is not excusable, it never has been, but somehow they've crept in under the law.

All we have to do is hold together, but respect the fact that some extremely knowledgeable legal people here have found ways for us all to challenge this foul behaviour. But I don't think we should celebrate too loudly until these DCAs are forced to change, or more importantly the creditors who formerly employed them see the atrocious mistakes they made and stop using them.

• Haha 1

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

But I don't think we should celebrate too loudly until these DCAs are forced to change, or more importantly the creditors who formerly employed them see the atrocious mistakes they made and stop using them.
That is why I think it is important to make a complaint to the Original Creditor so as they are aware of the malpratice (I'm being polite) of the scummy DCAs they employ to do their dirty work.

THe OC is ultimately responsible for the actions of these lowlife ****. Of course we know you are reading our every word in the DCAs. At least we can sleep sound in our beds at night knowing we have not bullied some poor unfortunate person over a debt which we have no right to pursue. Those of us in employment earn our money in a honest fashion and do not have to resort to lies threats and illegality to earn a decent wage:p

As ODC so eloquently said, if the DCA's, and to an extent the OC's, where to act in a professional and considerate manner I'm sure most of these issues would be easy to resolve. Unfortunately they choose to believe that all debtors are trying to evade payment, in any way they can. Yes there are some that will use any loophole to avoid payment. I'm not going to comment further on that as it is entirely up to each persons conscience.

It does seem that the DCA's are simply acting as the OC's "bully boys" and believe that they are above the law.

Hopefully with all the excellent work that members of CAG, and other sites, does there will be a change to the financial industry as a whole, it certainly needs it.

For too many years financial customers have simply allowed the OC's and DCA's to flaunt legal process and run things in a way that suited them.

It is time they where brought to book and made accountable for their actions.

Now whether this is form non-enforceable CCA's, court action for charges or more precedent settings "Wilsons" we are heading in the right direction, just very slowly.

BTW Hello Renegotiation *Waves* can i interest you in a High Horse as I need to get off this one ;)

• Haha 1

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

LOL. I already have my high horse mate. I will need it to trample on all those DCA's. We can do a 'Lord of the Rings' style assault together and slay some trolls. Death to the DCA's! Chargggggggge!!!!!

Out of interest. Have the DCA's made any efforts to clamp down on this forum yet? I think I have managed to keep my comments legal if people look at them closely.

We do get the odd, and I mean VERY odd, DCA troll now and again, also it is known that some take and active interest in the boards, but while we are cordial and legal they cannot touch us.

Just remember euphemisms are a very powerful tool.

Also it can be fun using alternatives to well known terms of abuse ;)

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

We do get the odd, and I mean VERY odd, DCA troll now and again, also it is known that some take and active interest in the boards, but while we are cordial and legal they cannot touch us.

Just remember euphemisms are a very powerful tool.

Also it can be fun using alternatives to well known terms of abuse ;)

At this very moment I dont think you are being very pharoah with your spurious remarks.

Why dont you advise or DCA buddies to come out of the closet

It is fundementally important for anyone who feels that they have had bad treatement from a DCA to complain about them. The only way that things will change is if this happens. The only reason the DCAs act in this way is becuase they get away with it on many an occasion.

For sure the industry does need to be looked at, and I think the CCA 2006 is a good start. The FOS are a HUGE organisation and have a great deal of power, hopefully they will take complaints about DCAs seriously.

Someone here should be overseeing complaints that CAG Debt Action members have made. Maybe some sticky threads for people that have actually submitted formal complaints? One for ignoring telephone harassment letters, one for ignoring letters to stop chasing stat barred debt, one for bullying and intimidation etc.. When complaints are submitted to the OFT, FOS, TS etc. it should be stipulated that it is part of a CAG mass complaint and progress WILL be scrutinised. It would be easier to track everything and what results we are getting.

I think that's a very good idea - it would certainly show taht we mean business and would be easier for CAG to see how many complaints are actually being filed for individual companies.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

I'm a little new here, sorry but how can they close down a public forum?

If liablous remarks are made about individuals or companies litigation may be pursued. If you are in doubt about what you can and can not post on this forum please read the forum rules.

When forum rules are ignored or posts are found to be inappropriate we endeavour to edit posts accordingly. This is for the benefit of everyone who uses this site.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

We have yet to see any results about cases the FOS have taken on. What about all those £400 fees they were supposed to be charging. Surely some of the DCAs would be bankrupt by now.

Well they can only look at complaints which have occured since april of this year, the complaints procedure of the DCA needs to be exhausted before the FOS will get involved, give it a bit of time!

If people have complained and if The FOS can actually get involved and take the complaint up.

Everyone should also ensure that the complain to The OFT questioning the firms fitness to hold a CC licence.

Maybe the debt action group should be 'target driven'? An organised fight would probably fare better. Starting off with a modest monthly target of 10 or something for each different type of complaint wouldn't be bad. I think people would be queueing up to compalin about ignoring telephone harassment letters for starters. Maybe just start off with that for now with a sticky for those that have complained and take it from there? I strongly support your stance sequenci of actively encouragfing everyone to formally complain. I think it would make a difference and the ball would soon be rolling. What have we got to lose?

It is fundementally important for anyone who feels that they have had bad treatement from a DCA to complain about them. The only way that things will change is if this happens. The only reason the DCAs act in this way is becuase they get away with it on many an occasion.

For sure the industry does need to be looked at, and I think the CCA 2006 is a good start. The FOS are a HUGE organisation and have a great deal of power, hopefully they will take complaints about DCAs seriously.

:) Sequenci, I completely agree with you about complaints, but I have a problem with following the procedure in order to get the FOS involved. If you know that these agencies are manipulating their data, but you still have to follow their complaints procedure - ie. effectively making an internal complaint that the Agency is then able to 'resolve' to their own satisfaction - frankly that's no way for a complaint to go. You're just giving them the time to cover up what they've done, before being able to take them to the FOS - do you see what I mean?

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

I see what you mean - but I do ahve to disagree. Halifax have until saturday to investigate my complaint to MY satisfaction otherwise the FOS will take over from there.

I originally sent my complaint to the FOS as no-one would deal with it at all. It still is not resolved to my satisfaction and I will re-refer my complaint to the FOS if it isn't sorted by the weekend.

The internal procedure is basically to stop people using it as a way of not dealing with problems themselves. By doing this, the FOS can show impartiality. But I was told by a lovely person on the phone that they do take it very seriously if financial institutions don't sort it out when tehy have the opportunity.

Therefore DO go through their complaints procedure. You have nothing to lose - plus, if you give them enough rope, they will hang themselves.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.