CAG CRA S.A.R Club

sosumi
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4162 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Two paragraphs taken from the article below June 2007:

Duncan Painter - Experian's rising star aims high - Direct Marketing News - Marketing Direct Magazine

In the meantime Painter has led Experian's winning pitch for the contract to build a voter contact database for the Labour Party. Presenting to the Party's top brass, and fending off competition from six other suppliers, Painter was in his element.

Nonetheless, Painter admits the creation of Experian Integrated Marketing, involving the loss of 100 jobs across Experian's London and Nottingham offices and ClarityBlue's Bristol and Luton hubs, is a huge preoccupation. He is also busy ensuring that Experian, the firm famous for building the mailing databases that helped launch nine out of ten US credit card firms in the UK in the 1990s, does not get left behind in the digital revolution.

'mailing databases that helped launch 9 out of 10 US credit card firms in the UK in the 1990s...'

Uh-huh... Anybody care to guess which 9?:rolleyes:

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the meantime Painter has led Experian's winning pitch for the contract to build a voter contact database for the Labour Party.

I imagine that this will not be a big job, and getting smaller by the day. Ultimately it will consist solely of the ZANU Nu-Labour's core voters - the one's who'd put a cross in the box for a dog-turd if it wore a red rosette.

What a delightful partnership - Experian and Labour - both spend much of their time trying to present lies as truth, and blaming it all on others when they're found out.

From The Government's Website

(NDS):

Friday 1 August 2008 11:32

Office of Fair Trading (National)

OFT launches consultation on irresponsible lending

The OFT has today launched a public consultation on the scope of its project looking at irresponsible lending in UK consumer credit markets.

The consultation follows major changes to the Consumer Credit Act, which include the identification of irresponsible lending as a matter to which the OFT must have regard when it considers businesses' fitness to hold a consumer credit licence.

The OFT's irresponsible lending project, of which this consultation is the first stage, will involve wide consultation with business, consumer groups and other stakeholders. One of the key outcomes of the project is expected to be clear guidance on lending behaviours and practices which the OFT considers to be irresponsible.

The study will consider all forms of consumer credit lending which the OFT licences and all participants in the market, including lenders, brokers and other intermediaries.

The initial phase of this project involves full consultation to define the range and nature of the project. The issues the review could consider include the advertising and marketing of products, selling techniques, product design, use of credit scoring techniques, appropriateness of products to borrowers, sale of associated products and management of consumers' accounts including handling of defaults and arrears.

Ray Watson, OFT Director of Consumer Credit, said:

'Credit is an important part of everyday life so it is vitally important that consumers are safeguarded from irresponsible lending and that businesses have clarity about what this constitutes. The OFT looks forward to hearing from a wide range of businesses, consumers and representative bodies on these issues.'

The OFT will be contacting key stakeholders directly. Full details of how to contribute to the consultation can be found on the OFT website at The Office of Fair Trading: making markets work well for consumers

NOTES

1. The Consumer Credit Act 1974 requires businesses that offer goods or services on credit or lend money or are involved in activities relating to credit or hire to be licensed by the OFT.

2. The Consumer Credit Act 2006 which came into force in April 2008 sets out a new framework and responsibilities for the OFT in administering the consumer credit licensing regime. Among a number of important changes, the Act introduces two concepts which have a particular bearing on the issue of responsibility in lending. These are the consideration of credit competence in the assessment of fitness and the explicit identification of evidence of irresponsible lending as an unfair business practice. Both elements may be taken into account by the OFT when assessing the fitness of licensees and applicants to hold a credit licence. See press release 45/08.

3. The OFT has previously provided some clarification on what constitutes irresponsible lending in its general fitness guidance (OFT 969) and there is pre-existing guidance, particularly that available in the OFT's Non-Status Lending Guidelines issued in 1997.

4. The OFT can refuse or revoke a licence if it decides that a trader is not fit to hold such a licence.

5. There are approximately 120,000 consumer credit licence holders in the UK.

The Office of Fair Trading: making markets work well for consumers

PUBLIC enquiries: 0845 7224499

[email protected]

OFT reports and consumer information leaflets are available free from:

OFT, PO Box 366, Hayes UB3 1XB 0800 389 3158 [email protected]

From Credit Today

(Credit Today online):

OFT to lay down responsible lending law - 01/08/2008

money_jar.jpg

The Office of Fair Trading is to produce guidelines on irresponsible lending and collections practices.

The OFT today launched a public consultation on the scope of its irresponsible lending project. It follows changes to the Consumer Credit Act, which include the identification of irresponsible lending as something the OFT must consider when granting consumer credit licences.

The project will involve consultation with business, consumer groups and other stakeholders. The OFT will then issue clear guidance on lending behaviours and practices which it considers to be irresponsible. The study will consider all forms of consumer credit lending which the OFT licences and all participants in the market, including lenders, brokers and other intermediaries.

The issues the review could consider include the advertising and marketing of products, selling techniques, product design, use of credit scoring techniques, appropriateness of products to borrowers, sale of associated products and management of consumers' accounts including handling of defaults and arrears.

The OFT will be contacting key stakeholders directly. Full details of how to contribute to the consultation can be found on the OFT website at The Office of Fair Trading: making markets work well for consumers

From my post a few days ago:

Nonetheless, Painter admits the creation of Experian Integrated Marketing, involving the loss of 100 jobs across Experian's London and Nottingham offices and ClarityBlue's Bristol and Luton hubs, is a huge preoccupation. He is also busy ensuring that Experian, the firm famous for building the mailing databases that helped launch nine out of ten US credit card firms in the UK in the 1990s, does not get left behind in the digital revolution.

Sent a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to OC in December 07, they gave me such a run around you would not beleive. Anyway, the eventually sent me old internal bank statments stating that was all the data they had, I recevied the first lot of the old internal bank statements at the end of February and after that I kept receiving letters from OC stating that they were still seaching for me. However in March I got two more lots of exactely the same old internal bank statements and again letters in each bundle stating that they had no more data on me. However, I still kept getting letters from the OC lender stating that they were still looking for more data on me this was 5 months after I had sent my originally S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to them in December 07. I eventually wrote to the Bank stating a 'yes' or 'no' would suffice as I found their succession of letter very harassing, I also copie the Information Commissioners Office into my corrrespondence to them. I then got a letter back stating that they had no more data on me and apology for being out of date with my original request now this was 6 months after I had submitted it. It did not end there, I got another letter from the Bank at the end of July stating that the Information Commissioners Office has written to them asking for another seach and they were looking for more data that they would deemed as personal data to send me and I would get it as soon as possible. In the meantime I had a letter from Equifax in relation to my inquiry about the traces on my credit report and they confirmed that that that one of the traces should not have been there and removed it but not another one that was still on my report which related to the OC that I had sent my SAR in December 07 and they are still looking for more data on me apart from the old internal bank statments. I had sent this to the Information Commissioners Office and they sent me a complian form to fill-in. I have done this and sent everything to the including the OC letters in relation to the SAR and this relates to BCW/Thames trace on my file. If there is any outstanding debt then it is certanly statuted barred.

Waiting for a reply with interest. :confused:

It is not a precedent anywhere because it is a sheriff's court judgement but it can be used as an example in a UK case to show the sort of thing that has been decided elsewhere

This has been mentioned on here before, but what the **ll! :

by email:

Welcome to your all new Marketplace alert, offering you the best deals to help you make the most of your CreditExpert service. This month includes our new Life insurance option, helping you get piece of mind in an uncertain time.

Loans

Receive a quick, easy and impartial service which helps you compare hundreds of loans.

Find your loan: click here

Featured Loans:

Provider Typical APR

Moneyback Bank 7.6%

Alliance and

Leicester 7.7%

Halifax 7.7%

Mortgages Credit Cards Life Insurance

Receive advice on the mortgage that suits your needs. A free quotation with no obligation.

Find your mortgage: click here

Featured Mortgages:

Details Rate

1-year fixed 6.49%*

Standard variable

rate 7.29%

Overall cost for

comparison 7.50%APR

Compare a large range of cards and companies, with options for people with a poor credit history.

Find your credit card: click here

Featured Credit Card:

Capital One Platinum Card

0% on Balance Transfers and

purchases until 1st November

14.9% Typical APR

Protect the people and things that matter the most should the worst

happen.

Find your life insurance: click here

Featured Life Insurance:

Details

· £150,000 life cover from only

£5.00 per month**

· Compare the life cover market

· Free quote, easy application, no obligation

Make the most of your CreditExpert, we can help find the deal that's right for you.

Use the CreditExpert Marketplace service to compare deals on loans, credit cards, mortgages, energy, car insurance, home insurance and now life insurance.

Many thanks

The CreditExpert Team

THINK CAREFULLY BEFORE SECURING OTHER DEBTS AGAINST YOUR HOME. YOUR HOME MAY BE REPOSSESSED IF YOU DO NOT KEEP UP REPAYMENTS ON A MORTGAGE OR ANY OTHER DEBT SECURED ON IT.

*Available with First Active, Fixed to 01/06/2010 then standard variable rate, currently 7.29%. Overall cost for comparison is 7.50%.

2 year fixed (£999 fee), 0-75% LTV. Minimum overpayment is £200. Rates correct as of 10/07/2008.

**Sum assured of £150,000 at £5 per month over 10 years for Mortgage Protection Assurance with Friends Provident. Available to a Female,

non-smoker born 09/05/1986, single cover. Details correct as of 29/07/08.

The information within this e-mail has been approved by Motorfile Limited who is regulated by the Financial Services Authority and for whom

Experian Limited is the appointed representative.

This email was sent to sosumi because you have opted in to receive communications from CreditExpert.co.uk. If

you think you have received this e-mail in error, or if you wish to take yourself off the mailing list, follow this link. We invite you to

learn more by reading our privacy statement.

CreditExpert is a trademark of Experian Ltd. Copyright © 2008. Experian Ltd (registered number 653331)

Experian - 'the consumer's friend'?? What about:

'Hey folks! When your credit's shot through with holes, we can help! These nice people who are paying us to advertise their products, might sell you their products and you know, while they do it, we get a kick back and we get to share their information on you as well! Then we can help other companies to trace you, by sharing even more information about you!! Woohoo!! SCOR - we give they give we take they take and you pay!!'

Be advised that if creditors don't know where you are now if you apply for a credit report they soon will. Your name & other details will be added to their GAIN (gone away) data base & anything that links you will acted upon.

This data base is the single reason why so many people are being pursued for debts they have NEVER owed

I've got a question regarding the contents of my S.A.R to Experian. In amongst all the paperwork one of the account numbers supplied, which relates to my RBS entry, is not the same account number as what it should be. So I queried it with Mr Hancock, and his reply was this...

"The account numbers RBS (Mint) submit to us are encrypted and so may not be recognisable. If you require further information about this entry I suggest that you contact them directly..."

Well, the account number they have supplied looks very much like an account number and certainly doesn't look encrypted. And it certainly doesn't look like my account number, apart from the first 8 digits. :cool:

Should I really be making a big deal with this? The rest of the details "look" like mine.

p.s. great thread, I would never have thought to S.A.R the CRAs without this :)

I've got a question regarding the contents of my S.A.R to Experian. In amongst all the paperwork one of the account numbers supplied, which relates to my RBS entry, is not the same account number as what it should be. So I queried it with Mr Hancock, and his reply was this...

"The account numbers RBS (Mint) submit to us are encrypted and so may not be recognisable. If you require further information about this entry I suggest that you contact them directly..."

Well, the account number they have supplied looks very much like an account number and certainly doesn't look encrypted. And it certainly doesn't look like my account number, apart from the first 8 digits. :cool:

Should I really be making a big deal with this? The rest of the details "look" like mine.

there is a well known mathematical formula as to whether a 16 digit number can potentially be a valid credit card account number and it is very easy to determine

Tam Wing Chuen -v- Bank of Credit and Commerce Hong Kong Ltd [1996] 2 BCLC 69

PC

Lord Mustill Commonwealth,

Lord Mustill discussed the need to construe a contract contra preferentem: "the basis of the contra proferentem principle is that the person who puts forward the wording of a proposed agreement may be assumed to have looked after his own interests, so that if words leave room for doubt about whether he is intended to have a particular benefit there is reason to suppose that he is not."

the account number could well be a new account number designated to the account by rbs on default [or charge off ??] of the account (naturally without your knowledge ) mbna do this and the matter is currently being investigated by higher authorities ................... are mbusa involved in the rbs account ?

Tam Wing Chuen -v- Bank of Credit and Commerce Hong Kong Ltd [1996] 2 BCLC 69

PC

Lord Mustill Commonwealth,

Lord Mustill discussed the need to construe a contract contra preferentem: "the basis of the contra proferentem principle is that the person who puts forward the wording of a proposed agreement may be assumed to have looked after his own interests, so that if words leave room for doubt about whether he is intended to have a particular benefit there is reason to suppose that he is not."

This sounds very familiar..take a look here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/11427-walton-rbos.html

Sarah

Could you divulge this mathematical formula, or point me in the right direction, Vulture? It definitely does look like a valid C.C. number to me, just not mine. RBS still send me statements every month, and the account number hasn't changed on any of them. It would be v. sneaky of them to have two accounts in my name instead of the one.

Sarah - thanks for that link, I'm gonna have a browse of it this afternoon.

I really do think Experian are talking bawlocks cos there's other accounts in the same pile of paper, with exactly the same format, and they are definitely my account numbers. I think Mr Hancock is a little bored of my correspondence with him over my Littlewoods dispute (and has a mountain of paperwork, courtesy of the peeps on this great site ;))

Well, I finally got though Paul's thread (phew) and can't believe the levels RBS will stoop to. I've now queries the account number showing on my credit file - encrypted my a:eek:se!

Whist Experian are a waste of time at the moment, I did look back at some recent emails from Equifax, and they can remove data from your file if it's not substantiated.

My experience is I queried Cabot's entry on my file, as they'd defaulted me last year when they bought the debt from HSBC. They had defaulted a nil balance savings account :rolleyes:. Anyway Equifax got no word from them after 28 days, so they've removed the whole entry.

So, employees of Experian, if you are reading this thread - IT IS POSSIBLE TO REMOVE ERRONEOUS DATA. Ask Equifax, they'll show you how to do it :D

Well, I finally got though Paul's thread (phew) and can't believe the levels RBS will stoop to. I've now queries the account number showing on my credit file - encrypted my a:eek:se!

Whist Experian are a waste of time at the moment, I did look back at some recent emails from Equifax, and they can remove data from your file if it's not substantiated.

My experience is I queried Cabot's entry on my file, as they'd defaulted me last year when they bought the debt from HSBC. They had defaulted a nil balance savings account :rolleyes:. Anyway Equifax got no word from them after 28 days, so they've removed the whole entry.

So, employees of Experian, if you are reading this thread - IT IS POSSIBLE TO REMOVE ERRONEOUS DATA. Ask Equifax, they'll show you how to do it :D

For everyone's info the CRA's are supposed to work together, in fact they often they brag about it, so any data collected by 1 is supposed to be copied to the others.

This also applies to defaults, removal by 1 should mean removal by all & this is meant to help consumers to avoid the considerable time & trouble of asking each CRA to correct false or misleading data

For everyone's info the CRA's are supposed to work together, in fact they often they brag about it, so any data collected by 1 is supposed to be copied to the others.

This also applies to defaults, removal by 1 should mean removal by all & this is meant to help consumers to avoid the considerable time & trouble of asking each CRA to correct false or misleading data

You'd think that'd be the case, wouldn't you? But they fluctuate wildly. We've watched our credit files with Experian, Equifax and Callcredit - they put stuff on, take it off, put it on again - and who inputs the new data? I've even seen an article on Credit Today where the 'Credit Professionals' are encouraged to subscribe to all 3 CRAs, to gain a better perspective!:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

i agree I had the same 28 days passed and equifax removed, yet after nearly 45 days experian did not... i even believe the lender was not replying on purpose so it was removed, until the famous paul lever chased them to confirm its accuracy....doh doh experian... I honestly belive you are about to feel the wrath of tens of thousands of people and as stated by the ICO you will not be immune from paying compensation.....

Only direct action by the masses will work....

Look at all successes they have never come from negotiation!!!

Hi - I'm fairly new to this so forgive any questions which may seem obvious...

I have read this thread with great interest - many thanks to everyone for some useful information I really didn't know.

Can you guys (or anyone else lookinh in) help me with a project? I successfully got a substantial amount of money back from First Direct Bank by suggesting some of their charges were "unfair" - of course they never admitted they were - just refunded them as a "goodwill" gesture. Coincidentally (I'm sure), at the time I wrote my first letter to them (February 07) they started trashing my credit rating. For a whole year prior to this date they hadn't bounced a DD or SO payment - even though sometimes the account was way over its agreed overdraft... Then all of a sudden my account developed a very rubber ceiling - everything bounced off it!! Fair enough really - but a bit short on "goodwill"...

But here's the odd bit - I started getting "late payment" entries on my Experian credit report under the First Direct account. I wrote to Experian to ask how come I have "late payments" showing against a current account - I had assumed it was because I had gone over the limt and, therefore, technically was "late" paying them at the end of the month - but NO! Turns out everytime a payment bounces that's a "late" payment - and if you do it twice in a month that's "2" months late payments...

My Experian report is beginning to look like a snooker table - lots of colours - and quite a few reds!

It is obviously a complete coincidence that my first letter to them was two weeks before this first happened - obvously a change of banking policy at that time!

So, as a starting point, I need to write to the bank asking them to disclose exactly what information they have sent to the CRA's - presumably an S.A.R. letter should do the trick?? But do I need any special wording?

I know this may be slightly off this thread - but any advice would be more than welcome.

Cheers

Could you divulge this mathematical formula, or point me in the right direction, Vulture? It definitely does look like a valid C.C. number to me, just not mine.

It's called a modulus check.

The financial institutions use diferrent systems however and you would need to know which version yours was using. It will not btw tell you if that account exists, only that it can exist.

David