BT - Can they hold me to a verbal contract

NASH1

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5139 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Would anyone be able to help me - I have recently rented a flat for a 6month term and signed up with BT, I recently called to cancel the telephone line and have been advised that I signed up for an 18month contract!!!!! They are trying to make me keep paying it for another 12months when I don't even have the service anymore!!! Can they do this if they do not have a signature from me? I am currently trying to get them to pull the telephone conversation, if they cannot find it - would this mean there is no legal binding verbal or written contract and they can't make me pay - PLEASE HELPPPPPPPPPPPP:eek:

Verbal contracts are enforceable, you don't need to sign anything. Similarly, a minimum service period is pretty standard and I'm unaware on any provider who will accept short-term (under 12 months) consumer commitment without loading the line rental.

You will in all probability have agreed to their minimum term at the inception of the contract (BT always had a minimum term of 12 months, so they should have mentioned (or the documentation) explain it was longer than this. What PKea outlines is a little different as his minimum period was extended, you are arguing there shouldn't have been any minimum term, and that will be more difficult.

I have signed up with Utility Warehouse for phone line rental calls and broadband and there is not long term contract, you just have to give a months notice in writing.

They cannot provide phone service where a working line doesn't initially exist, so unless this has changed recently, you still have to get BT to provide the service initially.