Charges for going over an overdraft limit

woodpop
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6617 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello there

first of all, thank you so much for your time with this site - you guys are a godsend.

i have been banking with barclays for about 8 years now. i have an overdraft facility which i consistently go over in the last week of the month (the week before my salary goes in). upon asking for an extension - i'm always told, that until i can show that i can stay within my limit for an extended period of time - i will not be eligible for an extension.

obviously, if i could stay within my limit for an extended period of time, i wouldn't need the extension anyway . . . aaaaaaarrrggghh !

so of course i've been being charged up to £75 / month for going over my agreed limit. i'm going to start proceedings to recover these costs as outlined in your BRILLIANT site - but i wanted to know whether the amount you were over your limit at the time of the applied charge makes a difference to the eligibility of the (indiviual) claim.

i.e. if i exceeded my overdraft limit by £100 - is it then within the bank's rights to charge me £25 ? i understand if i go over by say £4.50 - £25 is an excessive amount to penalise me by, but if i'm more than £25 over my limit - is it then not costing the banks that amount to cover this debt for me in the short-term ?

hope this makes sense . . .

cheers

woodpop

Welcome to the Group. You should first read the FAQs which will answer all your questions - then come back.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

The issue is not the relationship of the penalty charge to the infringement but rather the relationship of the charge to the cost incurred by the bank in dealing with your breach of contract. For example, if a bank charges you £35 for a bounced transaction, does it really cost them £35 to deal with it. If it doesn't then the charge is a penalty that can be challenged.

Before going down the path of issuing proceedings you should make sure you thoroughly reqad the FAQ and relevant bits of the Library as there are some things you need to do before issuing a court claim.

thanks for that.

i'm still a tad confused though - in my case - when over my limit, the bank goes ahead and honours the payment but then charges me £25 each time a transaction's made. might they turn around in this case and say that they are covering my debt in the short-term and assuming the debt is at least £25 - it is a lawful penalty ?

woodpop

The penalty is unlawful in that it does not reflect the true cost to them of your breach of contract

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6617 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks