• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Swift Loans

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4982 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We stupidly took out a loan with Swift which was secured against our home. Of course we are now behind with the paymnents for a number of reasons and they wont help in any way and have now sent a letter from a solicitor. We have put our house up for sale so we can get rid of the loan and our other debts. We have only had the loan for 2 years and are 3 months behind with payments. We borrowed £21,000. We have asked then twice for a settlement figure but wont quote it over the phone and have ignored 2 written requests. Has anyone had experience of payibg back a secured loan when the term is nowhere near finished. Are we likely to have to pay back loads more than the origional £21,000. We know there will be charges on because we are behind and also that we will have paid very little off the original balance but does anyone have a clue as to what they may take from us on the sale of the house?

Thank you all.

Thanks for the fast response Gizmo.

The only figures on the agreement show what you would pay back if a quarter, half or three quarters of the term have passed. Obviously we are only 2 years into the term so they dont help. We have written to them twice, recorded delivery to ask for the figure but the only letters we get back are ones telling us we are behind with payments and now this one from a solicitor telling us we have to pay within 14 days or they will take us to court. When we ring them they tell us we need to put the request in writing, we are just going round in circles. we have written to say thet the house is up for sale and therefore will be paying off the loan but they dont respond. Is there a legal limit to the amount they can take back on top of what they loaned us or can they charge anything they like.

I'm watching this with interest as I too have a Swift Loans mortgage too, I have just requested a settlement figure via email, quoting the agreement number and they sent it to me pretty quickly.....I am about £300 in arrears but most of this has been accrued because, while I was redundant and getting payment protection they charge £20 per letter (can I claim some of this back anybody ?!!! After paying them for 3+ years the amount to pay back is about the same as what they lent me in the first place, needless to say I hope to be selling the house soon to do what 1stlifeline is doing....

If this is a loan covered by the Consumer Credit Act - then I beleive that you can ask Trading Standards to work out a figure for you - might be worth a call.

As the above poster is gettign a response by e-mail maybe he could let you have the addy and you could try that.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Please HELP! Am panicking a little now as I just found another thread where someone paid back a Swift loan after 2 years. In this case he borrowed £4000 and had to pay back 8,500. as they said they did not do early redemption. If we have to pay back double what we borrowed we will not meet it by selling the house. There isnt enough equity there.

If this is a loan covered by the Consumer Credit Act - then I beleive that you can ask Trading Standards to work out a figure for you - might be worth a call.

As the above poster is gettign a response by e-mail maybe he could let you have the addy and you could try that.

If the loan is covered under the CCA then i would forward a CCA Request.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

• 5 months later...

Hi there, just looking for a bit of advice please .....

I took out a loan with Swift in August last year. Loan amount was £12,500 over 7-years. There was a mix up, ie - i thought the first payment was due end of September when it was due end of August so that was one month overdue. I opened a new bank account with another bank in December and requested a new direct debit mandate be issued. This was received, completed and returned. No payment was taken from the account in December. I contacted them and they said they hadnt received the completed DD mandate so issued another one. This again was completed and returned to them. I agreed to up my payments by some £50 or so to pay off the outstanding premiums. Once again, no payment was taken from my account for January's payment. I contacted them yet again to be advised they still had my old bank details on file and that a default has been lodged against my credit file and will stay there for 6-years and they need an instant payment today to cover the missed payments. I tried to explain the background but the girl said the default was lodged and that was that.

I'm just about to put my house on the market and clear my mortgage and swift loans. I've requested a redemption statement from them but I can see from other users that they charge you for this statement and i'm concerned about the other charges too that they'll be applying. Can anyone advise me what I should be looking out for ?

Thank you, Nov1974

Swift charge £250 !!!!! for a bounced payment !!! about £20 (I think) for a letter....and £35 for a statement...I am in arrears by 1.5 months and they OWE me about 2.5 in monthly payments due to their excessive charges, which I am just about to reclaim.....

You might like to search the threads here as one Swiftee took them to court, but it got to high court stage and she/he obviously signed a confidentiality agreement and couldn't say any more !! (I presume it was settled).....If it was me I would request a statement or send a SAR, you may find it quite eye opening !!! let us know how you get on !!!

I know this will probably sound like a silly question but I'll ask anyway ..... I take it the redemption figure will include all the penalty charges that they're saying are owed ?

Thanks again for your time, I appreciate it !!

Got my redemption figure in this morning and its £16,160 ...... which I'm just hoping is correct. they've included a breakdown on the back which doesnt appear to include any charges however ...... I've e-mailed them to ask if this includes all monies due in respect of any penalties so i'll see what they come back with ......

Hi

Can we start new threads for each person so you will all get an answer. It becomes confusing when a new person jumps in on a thread :D

Nov1974: There will probably be a collection charge or 2 added onto the figure. This will demonstrate your charges as they collate them at the end of the term once they know you are settling in advance. It used to be £70 per month.

Settle the loan first and get them out of your hair then send your Data Protection Act S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to get all the details of your charges.

42Man £250 for a bounced payment...are you sure? Anyhow the best thing for you to do is go through the process of claiming you charges back after you have settled the account. Oh and I am that swiftee and yes the outcome is under confidentiality agreement. However I will say this, follow the process shown on here, you wont go far wrong

• 1 year later...

Hi

I am also a Swift customer but although we fell behind in my payments (due to losing the home business) they have an agreement with us to pay the full monthly amount plus £100 towards arrears until we get back on our feet financially.

The only problem is we are selling the house and if we clear the mortgage and Swift we will have absolutely no equity left on the house for our new house. Can anyone tell me is it possible to transfer the Swift loan to a new property meaning we can have equity left over and can clear the current Swift arrears bringing us up to date?

I would be grateful for any help.

Well there's 2 things you can do,

1) you can ask them, but I'd guess you'd need to show you have enough equity in the new place to cover their loan, although knowing the way these people work it's likely they'll be looking for that rather large chunk of your money for early redemption penalty, redemption statements and so on, you ought to call them and ask how much all these charges are going to be ( don't ask for a redemption statement that'll cost you something like £150 - just ask them to run through it and what the possibilities are for transferring it as you are 'preparing for the possibility' if it were to happen.

2) You could post up a copy of your agreement and a breakdown of your loan here making sure you use photobucket or a pdf file which you have thoroughly checked out and blanked off account names and personal details -read the document from top to toe as they pop your names in all kinds of weird places(Check any of your blanked out area's cannot be removed on here by right clicking the blacked out area and clicking 'cut' some people have done this and compromised their personal data,) then once it's up here someone can tell you if their agreement is enforceable as numerous of Swifts aren't...I know this forum is not about 'not paying ones debt', but these sharks deserve no better....you might have plenty of equity then! :D

Good luck with whatever you do....just get the completing solicitor to check out the agreement before he/she pays Swift off

SC

• 1 year later...

I got in bother in sept 08. After contacting Swift for help which they refused I applied and won a time order. I then went back to get the interest rate reduced with success. however I needed a default letter to proceed with the time order which meant i had to miss 2 payments. Swift charged for latters etc then stuck £250 on for involving their "debt counciling company" [actually swift]. Two years later I find they have wrongly stated the situation to Equifax and as a result my wifes credit is destroyed. I am in the position of selling our house as the incorrect equifax info has made it impossible for us to exist. I am looking to sue Swift and would appreciate any help. Similarly if anyone needs advise about time orders contact me.

I got in bother in sept 08. After contacting Swift for help which they refused I applied and won a time order. I then went back to get the interest rate reduced with success. however I needed a default letter to proceed with the time order which meant i had to miss 2 payments. Swift charged for latters etc then stuck £250 on for involving their "debt counciling company" [actually swift]. Two years later I find they have wrongly stated the situation to Equifax and as a result my wifes credit is destroyed. I am in the position of selling our house as the incorrect equifax info has made it impossible for us to exist. I am looking to sue Swift and would appreciate any help. Similarly if anyone needs advise about time orders contact me.

Hi JOE,

Go for Swift Advances plc under the Unfair Relationship Act....Was your default notice issued by " Swift Advances" was Eastern Conselling involved in that £250 counselling fee ...if the answer to these two questions is yes... you have a good foundationfor a good claim under Section 140 of the New CCA act 2006 amendments

sparkie