Check-in Errors

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5135 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My partner and I have recently moved into a rented accommodation, and as part of that process we paid money into a TDS.

When we went to check-in and pick up the keys we were running late due to a problem at the agents, the third party Check-in Agent was in a rush so quickly explained the layout of the audit. She told us that if we had any amendments we could contact her within 7 days.

We were still in the process of packing up from our other property as we were not moving in for a number of days. I went back to the empty property a couple of days later and went through the audit.

I ended up making a large number of changes and additions, some of which were, in my opinion, hard to miss. I emailed my many points to the Check-in Agent and cc'ed the agency who were managing the property.

They told me they would get back to me but after I didn't hear back from them after 28 days I emailed them again, sending a copy of this email once more to the managing agent.

I was sent reply stating that due to the number of points I had raised, a further visit would be required.

I have sent another reply, requesting a suitable time and date for their visit but I have at this point still not received a reply. We have now been the tenants for about 10 weeks.

All my correspondences have been by email, and have been copied to the managing agent, however should I be doing anything else? Should I send copies of the correspondences to the company underwriting the TDS? If nothing is done by the time our contract is up and we decide to leave the property, will our correspondences be acceptable evidence against the original audit?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Just Joe

I would send an email again stating that you are requesting a further meeting due to the errors on the original check in, make reference to your previous emails, but don't get too shirty (yet) as that is likely to get their backs up and land you with a section 21 notice at the end of your contract.

I don't see the point in contacting the deposit holders myself, but others may advise differently.

Have you completed or got an inventory yourself with all the alterations (to the agents) on?

To be honest Joe, I would leave it. It is the landlords reponsibility to have an accurate check in inventory, and it is PURELY for the landlords benefit. Without a signed inventory, they have no base to compare the property to on check out, and as such no deposit can be deducted. So with this in mind, I would let them chase it up, as it is actually beneficial for you if it is not completed. Just make sure that you do not sign anything unless you are 110% that it is an accurate reflection of the condition of the property.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Ah, well that is a problem. In that case I would follow what JJS has said, with a "in hindsight" warning - NEVER sign an inventory if you are not 110% happy with it.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!