• Tweets

• I don't think I've ever seen someone appeal a mags court decision on fare evasion, JK, but as you say in this case TiredDodo has pleaded guilty. It is possible to challenge, as below. HB Appeal a magistrates’ court decision: Overview - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK How to challenge a decision by a magistrates' court. Including how to get a fine reviewed, if you did not know about your case, how to appeal to the...  
    • Update! I have now opened the mail from Barclaycard. I am assuming that their letters were prompted by my confirmation to them of my change of address, which I had advised them of twice. They are treating my change of address notification as a "General Data Protection Regulation Right of Access Request"  and state that I have made a "Right of Access Request. They are asking me to provide valid indentity documents! I have made no such request and am minded to ignore their request for extra information? I should add that their letters were sent to my correct current address!
    • Are you allowed to appeal if you plead guilty?   I know you appeal the sentence, but the criminal record formed from your guilt would surely remain?   I'm not sure if your able to appeal a crimianl record if you plead guilty are you?
    • DX: I did not pursue Link after I got the CCJ amended to monthly payments. Pretty sure the CCJ does not mention reviews, I do have the CCJ somewhere, I will have to look it up in storage. It is as mentioned on the thread you referenced  in your post #28. The Barclays loan was taken out in September 2004 for 60 months! Current Balance remaining approx £2K. On checking back my past correspondence with Barclaycard about this loan, there was a history of them ignoring my letters and offers to pay, and I even had problems in obtaining their bank account details for them to accept my payments! I have received strange correspondence from them too, one referring to insurance which I did not have. They seem very disorganised! Barclaycard told me to pay "Masterloan" a while back and I now receive regular statements and arrears notices from "Personal Loans from Barclaycard" clearly marked Masterloan, they changed the account reference number! I have never requested a CCA on this account. I advised them of my change of address last September, but they are still sending, until today, statements etc. to my old address! I have received 2 letters from Barclaycard Loan today though, not opened them yet!!
    • Yes, a few months ago. They wrote back saying there was no CCA and the debt was unenforcable. I then started gtting bombarded with threatening emails from their 'litigations team' which have been sent to spam. I've now recieved the letter before claim with the PAP form enclosed, but still no CCA or even a letter from them to say the debt is deemed enforcable. Thank you.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

CCJ Assistance - EGG

Saint2K
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5733 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello.

I'm managing and running a Debt Management Plan (DMP) for one of my friends and hit upon a little snag today.

The story so far ....

Friend owes Egg a relatively small balance of £1500 which is in the form of a credit card.

Recently changed address, notified Egg of the COA and then sent one further letter stating that he was in financial difficulty and made a pro-rata offer of repayment. All corrospondance was sent by Recorded D

Received no corrospondance from Egg or any other DCA, as Moorcroft were involved at one stage recently.

On the 22/08/2007 he received a N1 County Court Claim form from Egg obviously requesting the full balance to be settled.

We are wondering if there is any legal basis to have this CCJ 'set aside'.

Aside from in my opinion not following the civil procedure rules, by trying to avoid Court Action, would it be worth sending a CCA request today, or would the Court view this as being 'dodgey'.

Any other ideas would be appreciated .....

Hi,

From what I've learnt on here you request these under the civil procedures rules.

Basically it means they have to supply them as they are documents you will be relying on.

The CCA would time out on it's own and go beyond defending the N1.

You can also ask for the SAR as well I believe so you can see if charges have been added if they do come up with a CCA.

Don't take my word as gospel as I'm still learning. Hopefully some more knowledgable peeps should be by later.

Right then you need to file an acknowledgement of service with the court.

This MUST be done before 4 Sept !!

This will allow you another 14 days to get your defence in place.

Then to Egg's solicitors, address should be on the N1, send this:

Edit as needed.

Dear xxxx,

I acknowledge receipt of your notice of legal action sent by your company on DATE which was received on DATE.

Please be aware that any proceedings will be extremely vigorously defended and that a counterclaim will be made against Egg Limited. I am unable to respond further at this time, since you have given me inadequate information to investigate the claim. Please note that under the Overriding Objectives, you have a duty to act reasonably at all times.

As you are aware, under the pre-action protocols of the Civil Procedure Rules, your letter before action should have included the following information:

4.3 The claimant's letter should —

(a) give sufficient concise details to enable the recipient to understand and investigate the claim without extensive further information;

(b) enclose copies of the essential documents which the claimant relies on;

© ask for a prompt acknowledgement of the letter, followed by a full written response within a reasonable stated period;

(For many claims, a normal reasonable period for a full response may be one month.)

(d) state whether court proceedings will be issued if the full response is not received within the stated period;

(e) identify and ask for copies of any essential documents, not in his possession, which the claimant wishes to see;

(f) state (if this is so) that the claimant wishes to enter into mediation or another alternative method of dispute resolution; and

(g) draw attention to the court's powers to impose sanctions for failure to comply with this practice direction and, if the recipient is likely to be unrepresented, enclose a copy of this practice direction.

I note that your letter failed to enclose copies of the essential documents upon which you will seek to rely, failed to ask for acknowledgement of the letter, failed to ask for a written response within a reasonable period of time, and did not draw attention to the courts powers

to force all parties to comply with the practice direction.

I intend to provide you with a full written response, but as yet I have not got adequate information to investigate your claim.

To enable me to investigate this claim I require specific information regarding the account to be provided forthwith. Given that this matter is now the subject of legal proceedings, you are obliged to disclose under the Civil Procedure Rules, the information and documents detailed below.

If you fail to disclose this information, I may apply to the court under Part 18 and part 31 of the civil procedure rules.

I will be unable to respond to your claim without this information, and by failing to supply it before starting legal action you would breach the overriding objective of the Civil Procedure Rules.

Request for disclosure;

I request that you send me information vital to investigating your claims, including:

1. A true copy of the executed credit agreement and any terms and conditions that applied to the account at the time of default and at the time the account was opened.

2. All records you hold on me relevant to this case, including but not limited to:

a. A transcript of all transactions, including charges, fees, interest, repayments and payments and both the original amount of the loan and any repayments made to it the account.

b. Transcriptions of all telephone conversations recorded and any notes made in relation to telephone conversations by your company, or by any previous creditor.

c. Where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual

intervention in relation to my account formerly held with HFC Bank Ltd.

d. True copies of any notice of assignment and/or default notice or enforcement notice that you or the original creditor sent me, with a copy of any proof of postage that you hold.

e. Documents relating to any insurance added to the account, including the insurance contract and terms and conditions, date it was added and deleted (if applicable).

f. Details of any collection charge added to the account; specifically, the date it was levied, the amount of the charge, a detailed financial breakdown of how the charge was calculated, and what the charge covers.

g. Specific details of the fees/charges levied by any other agency in respect of this account and a detailed breakdown of said fees/charges and what each charge relates to and on what date said fees/charges were levied.

h. A genuine copy of any deed of assignment, or proof that you have a legal right to this money.

i. A genuine copy of any notice of fair use of my data as required by the Data Protection Act 1998

j. A list of third party agencies to whom you have disclosed my personal data and a summary of the nature of the information you have disclosed.

3. Any other documents you will seek to rely upon in court.

4. A copy of your complaints procedure, as required by the Consumer Credit Act 2006.

5. Clarification of the date you acquired the debt, what organisation you acquired it from, their registered office, their company number (if any) and what legal title they had to this debt, and what credit license number they had at the time that the debt was purchased or entered into.

Please note, I will respond to your claim in full within 14 days of your providing this information. I must advise you that if the information is not forthcoming, or if you start proceedings without furnishing this information, it will be reported to the Court that you are denying me the opportunity

to settle this matter amicably.

Yours Faithfully,

Basically what you are asking for is ALL documents, including the Agreement and transaction breakdown.

Once these are received then you can start with a counter/defence in relation to unlawful charges, etc.

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

I have successfully had a claim withdrawn - partly using the CCA argument and also by sending a very nasty letter to the original creditor accusing them of breach of civil procedure rules by not giving us notice of intention and ignoring our offer of reduced payments also. I will let you have copies of letters if you need them. Only thing is I am not sure exactly why they did withdraw as the CCA was better than some I have received.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Did they send you a default notice?

Curly, that letter is a good one, but need only be sent BEFORE legal action takes place. If they've issued a county court claim, you need this one:

(you should send it special delivery & a seperate credit agreement request, special delivery. Don't sign either one)

In the XXXX County Court

Claimant -v- (YOUR NAME)

Claim Number: (CLAIM NUMBER)

Dear XXX

REQUEST FOR INFORMATION

I have received a recent court claim from your organisation. In order to file a defence and counter claim I require some information. Given that this matter is now the subject of legal proceedings, you are obliged to disclose under the Civil Procedure Rules, the information and documents detailed below.

The information must be furnished within fourteen days of the receipt of this letter. If you fail to comply, this will be reported to the Court, a copy of this letter will be provided as evidence to the same and an Order enforcing your compliance will be sought.

1. A true copy of the executed credit agreement and any terms and conditions that applied to the account at the time of default and at the time the account was opened.

2. All records you hold on me relevant to this case, including but not limited to:

a. Transcriptions of all telephone conversations recorded and any notes made in relation to telephone conversations by your company, or by any previous creditor

b. Where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my account formerly held with Barclaycard.

c. True copies of any notice of assignment and/or default notice or enforcement notice that you or the original creditor sent me, with a copy of any proof of postage that you hold.

d.Documents relating to any insurance added to the account, including the insurance contract and terms and conditions, date it was added and deleted (if applicable).

e. Details of any collection charge added to the account; specifically, the date it was levied, the amount of the charge, a detailed financial breakdown of how the charge was calculated, and what the charge covers.

f. Specific details of the fees/charges levied by any other agency in respect of this account and a detailed breakdown of said fees/charges and what each charge relates to and on what date said fees/charges were levied.

g. A genuine copy of any notice of fair use of my data as required by the Data Protection Act 1998

h. A list of third party agencies to whom you have disclosed my personal data and a summary of the nature of the information you have disclosed.

i. Copies of statements for the entire duration of the credit agreement.

3. Any other documents you seek to rely on in court.

I will require this information within the next fourteen days. I must advise you that if the information is not forthcoming, it will be reported to the Court that you are trying to frustrate proceedings and denying me the opportunity to file a defence and counter claim.

Yours sincerely,

XXXX (type, don't sign).

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Wow, I really appreciate all the replies. This is a good learning experience for me as I also manage my own DMP and may myself be faced with a claim one day.

Right, so firstly I need to acknowledge the claim and I do this by completing a section of the claim form and sending it to the Court?

The current Court Centre dealing with the claim is Northamptons Bulk Processing Centre. Is it worth getting this changed to my friends local County Court, or is that not relevant?

The POC (Particulars of Claim) from Egg is very short and just basically says failed to meet contractual repayments. My friend did receive a default notice to the poster who asked.

He sent them an offer of pro-rata repayment about three weeks ago, and this claim was the first thing he got back from Egg. Quite harsh if you ask me!

Anyway, I see there are two excellent letters, which one should I use? Also, just to confirm, I send this letter to Egg, or Nelsons (The address on the claim form where it says to send all corrospondance).

Does the Court not require a copy of this letter?

Thanks

Wow, I really appreciate all the replies. This is a good learning experience for me as I also manage my own DMP and may myself be faced with a claim one day.

Right, so firstly I need to acknowledge the claim and I do this by completing a section of the claim form and sending it to the Court?

Doing it online via MCOL is easiest

The current Court Centre dealing with the claim is Northamptons Bulk Processing Centre. Is it worth getting this changed to my friends local County Court, or is that not relevant?

Not relevant. The court will do this automatically before any hearing.

Anyway, I see there are two excellent letters, which one should I use?

Thanks. I wrote both, and I would suggest using the second one.

Also, just to confirm, I send this letter to Egg, or Nelsons (The address on the claim form where it says to send all corrospondance).

The address on the claim form.

Does the Court not require a copy of this letter?

Not at this stage.

Thanks

The question from sequenci is a good one. Are there any legitimate reasons to defend the claim? e.g. late payment charges etc.

I find egg is reasonably good at producing credit agreements, although these agreements are only borderline enforceable. It would be best if you had a second plan, just in case.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

Right.

I'm just using MCOL, do we intend to defend all or part of this claim?

Secondly, yes, I believe the balance may include some unlawful penalty charges and therefore we could also use this as a partial defence. However, with the current stay of play between the banks and OFT, can we still use bank charges as a legitimate defence?

Right.

I'm just using MCOL, do we intend to defend all or part of this claim?

Secondly, yes, I believe the balance may include some unlawful penalty charges and therefore we could also use this as a partial defence. However, with the current stay of play between the banks and OFT, can we still use bank charges as a legitimate defence?

Have you recieved a signed copy of the credit agreement yet?

if not, I would go for a full defence. Otherwise, a partial defence reclaiming the collection / late payment etc charges.

No, prior to the claim form arriving through his door, he received little to no corrospondance from Egg, hence why we believe they haven't followed the Civil Procedure rules.

We have not yet requested a copy of the CCA, this will be sent tomorrow, do we still go for a full defence?

Thanks.

No, prior to the claim form arriving through his door, he received little to no corrospondance from Egg, hence why we believe they haven't followed the Civil Procedure rules.

We have not yet requested a copy of the CCA, this will be sent tomorrow, do we still go for a full defence?

Thanks.

I guess so. Have you sent a copy of the disclosure letter?

You're cutting things a bit fine, at the moment. The CCA MUST go tomorrow, by next day special delivery.

I intend to send the second letter you wrote on this thread tomorrow. I have been unable to send it due to the weekend.

It will be going tomorrow by Special Delivery.

Also, there are some elements of the first letter that I would like to include in the second.

Mainly the comments regarding the Civil Procedure rules as I feel they are particularly relevent to the defence.

I intend to send the second letter you wrote on this thread tomorrow. I have been unable to send it due to the weekend.

It will be going tomorrow by Special Delivery.

Also, there are some elements of the first letter that I would like to include in the second.

Mainly the comments regarding the Civil Procedure rules as I feel they are particularly relevent to the defence.

PLEASE don't add the comments on the civil procedure rules, they are simply not relevant to your current situation (which is that a case has already been submitted) and would give the claimant advance warning of part of your defence.

And you will have to alter the dates so you give only 7 days.

That's not really satisfactory, frankly, everything is cut very fine; I would normally advise sending CCA and disclosure request within the first three days of recieving the claim.

Ok, thank you for the clarification.

So, just to confirm, we are planning on going for a full defence of the claim?

for the moment; in my experience, though, egg agreements are normally enforceable although not properly executed. So almost certainly, your case will likely end up being one of reclaiming the last 6 years of unlawful charges.

Since we don't know how much that is yet, we'll have to say we intend to defend all of the claim.

Oh, one more question, the address on the claim form for where documents should be sent is "Nelsons, Pennine House, Nottingham".

Do I just use this address, or should I also send a copy to Egg?

You should send all corrispondance to the address on the claims form.

Via an internet search, I came up with this, so I should ring their phone number (also on the claim form - use 141 before ringing) and ask them to confirm their address.

Nelsons Solicitors Llp

Pennine House 8 Stanford Street , Nottingham, NG1 7BQ

Tel: 01159-586262

Right.

Acknowledgement of Service was received on 3 September 2007 giving us a further 14 days to defend the claim.

One problem, the letter I sent to Nelsons did not have the amended timeframe i.e. 14 days to respond reduced to 7 days.

So, I am obviously going to have to send a further amended letter to Nelsons by Special Delivery tomorrow.

Should I just resend the original with the amendment or also forward a covering letter highlighting the error in timeframes?