• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Scoobz - v - Alliance & Leicester

scoobz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5947 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Peeps

Started my claim with A & L mid March 2007 using templates from a BBC article on line as an 'estimated' claim (£5000) as I only had last 3 years statements.

I got the usual fob off letter from A & L so proceeded with N1 claim which I filed with my local county court on 13th April 2007.

Wragge & co acknowledged my claim and then sent their usual 'Defence'.

I then discovered Martin Lewis's site and CAG and after hours of reading I discovered that 'estimated' claims were not a good idea so I paid £35 to have my claim amended with court (form N244) and changed my claim amount to tie in with the statements I had (£3700) and also amended my Particulars of Claim (using the template from here).

Opened a parachute account and sent off S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter to A & L.

Wragge & Co filed their AQ with court and I filed mine on 19th May 2007.

I received my statements from A & L so I worked out my charges for the other 3 years which took my total claim for the full 6 years back up to £4900.

I had my claim transferred to Leeds Mercantile Court early June and applied to amend my claim again (N244) to the new amount (this cost me £65) .

I was in court yesterday for Case Management Conference and A&L didn't attend and no stay applied for so Judge has given directions for hearing in October 2007.

Keep you posted...

Scoobz

user_online.gifreputation.gif vbrep_register("879118") report.gif

Hi scoobz - I expect you will get an official letter from the court telling you all that you need to do? probably your bundle - so in that case you do have to send a copy to Wragges as well.

I sent my bundle to Wragges anyway - even though the case had been stayed and I had not had hearing - just to show them i meant business- maybe thats what did the trick- i :confused: will never know:)

There is a new court bundle - much better than the one I sent - I will post link. Unfortunately you will probably do all the work - and get an offer just before court date - but thats the way they play the game:mad:

jan

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Advanced court bundle

in case you need it

jan

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Hiya Scoobz, good luck. I received a bog standard letter today from A&L re oft test case...same as whats on their website. Doesnt say they're asking for stays.

Jen xx

Thanks Jan and Jen....

I'm going to get started on my bundle when little one is back at school tomoz (thanks for the link Jan).....

Jen, I really do hope that you get sorted in October, if they don't turn up again then I would request strike out (you may have to do the official application??) or ask for directions for a hearing a.s.a.p. Wonder how many will be at there? Have your heard of any other A&L ones??

Scoobz

Hi Scoobz, Have'nt heard of any more for the 4th yet but its still early days. I've thought of trying to negotiate with Wraggies but we'll see xx

Hi Peeps, Nearly finished my court bundles ready to hand in at court on Tues 11/09/07 and to send to Wragge & Co.

Received a lovely letter from Wragge & Co this morning, an exact copy of the same blabla one that A&L sent me a couple of weeks ago just stating all the facts about the OFT Test Case and that complaints are being put 'on hold' until the outcome.

Wraggies state that 'WE INTEND TO APPLY TO THE COURT ON ALLIANCE & LEICESTER'S BEHALF FOR AN ORDER TO STAY YOUR ACTION UNTIL RESOLUTION OF THE LEGAL PROCEEDINGS WITH THE OFT'.

I wonder if they are trying to scare me off and try to stop me doing my court bundle?

Bring it on! :rolleyes:

Scoobz

Hi Scoobz...I got one of those too.....thought it was just me LOL...on the bottom of yours who does it say sent it?( on the back...enquires to ***) Mine is the person who i've been e-mailing trying to settle, i thought she'd sent it cos of the last e-mail i had sent her.

Jen xx

Hi Jen

Mine is Anna Wright (who I've never heard of)? I've always had letters etc from Hina Thakrar so maybe she can't cope with all our claims and she's had to pass some work on?? Strange why they don't sign their letters?

The letter made me laugh as surely instead of just saying "we intend to apply for stay", why haven't they done so as they've had plenty of time! It's all stalling tactics but it isn't going to work!! :rolleyes:

This bundle job is hard work, I've got through 2 packs of paper and about 6 printer cartridges (not to mention the sore fingers) but it will all be worth it....

Scoobz

I had the same letter but went ahead with sending my bundle and then today I got notification from the court that my hearing on the 12th would now be a hearing for Wragge to request a stay, attached was a copy of the papers Wragge had submitted to the courts to do this. So now I take it I have to go to court on the 12th to try to appeal to the judge not to grant a stay? If anyone can help I would be v grateful.

Unfortunately this is not good news - this is the first one where I have heard the A&L request an individual stay - So this is new ground. I had a hearing to remove stay and was using the template on here plus the fact that A&L had no intention of defending as they had settled so many cases on the doorstep so to speak.

The Stay - Here is the application grounds for the removal of the stay

Here is what you use - plus there are lots of threads on here which advise you to add sections to make it as personal as possible. If you are a hardship case then you must be prepared to prove it.

Whether or not they will appear I have no idea - it could just be more tactics to try and frighten you off - but this is unknown territory.

Keep reading all new posts just to keep up with everything.

Jan

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Hi Scoobz, She must be the lady who is dealing with your case...has it got her e-mail on it? E-mail her & see if you can get an offer before court...maybe worth a try...then you'll have her response for court lol.

Jen xx

Hi Jen

There is an email address so I might send her an email once Ive sent my bundle to them, then at least they know I mean business!!

Hi Wilsikon

I'm really surprised about them asking for a stay on your claim so close to the hearing date, it must be a new tactic?

I went to the case management conference at Leeds on 29th August and they didn't even turn up or request a stay so whether they will request one now god only knows!!

Like Jansus says just follow all the links regarding request for stay to be removed... this is all new to us all so fingers crossed judge will go in your favour!!

Good Luck and keep us posted

Scoobz

Urgent Info Needed To Confirm A Bank Leak

see post 86 link - A&L are mentioned on lloyds bank new mobile phone alert system

jan

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Hi Jan

Very interesting read, thanks for that......

I'm a little concerned about this new 'stay' tactic that Wraggies are using at the moment! Surely the Judge in my case would not allow it after they didn't even turn up at court for CMC and they hadn't requested a stay prior to this? If I end up doing my court bundle and they grant a stay I will be fuming!! :Cry:

Scoobz

I know this is such a rollercoaster - one minute you think we are on a winner - next you start to loose hope - do you think thats what they count on?

But as Kay posted they did the same for her - went to all the trouble of producing the request for stay and then settled outside the court room ???

Willam was the same - he was going in expecting a stay.

I think all we can do is carry on - the worse scenario is they get one stay and then the rest will follow - but a lot of people on here have dropped out and have not carried on Post OFt so I suppose the cases they have to deal with must be dwindling anyway.

Jan

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Thanks for your support Jan, it's sometimes difficult to stay positive when they keep springing new tactics on us! Hopefully like you say its just all hot air, trying to put us off, and they will settle either before or on the day...

Just finished all my copying and filed everything in three very large ring binders. Going to finish off my witness statement and make sure everything ties in. Because I amended my claim twice I've included all my paperwork plus docs from when I was transferred to Leeds Mercantile.

I've had a look at next day courier costs and it would be about £18 to get my bundle down to Wraggies by close of business on Tuesday 11/09 (suppose its cheaper then train or driving down myself)...

Catch you later...

Scoobz

!!!!! OFT could drop test case !!!!!!!

here we go again

jan

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Hi Jan

Thanks for that link.... I don't believe it, what on earth are the OFT up to now? If they drop this case then where would that leave all these people who have had claims stayed? Would the banks have to pay out? Will people be able to start new claims? CONFUSED!!

Anyway back to my fight against reliance & fester. I hand delivered my completed court bundle to Leeds Mercantile Court today and sent Wraggies copy via City Link for delivery tomoz (fingers crossed it gets there!!).... Received notification today that my court date will be the first available date after 10th October with an estimate of 2 hours. Watch this space!

Scoobz

Hi scoobz

I know - have not read all the comments yet - but again how can they start a court case and then do this?

They have had long enough to sort it out and ok the charges may reduce - but it does not resolve the question of legalities or past charges - stinks a bit to me

there are about three threads about it.

Jan

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

hadyanth vs Lloyds TSB - Goodbye fingernails...

dont you think looyds seem to be getting more help - or am i imagining things?

Missing Mimi and William

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

hi scoobz - really hope you dont need this but found it today

Bundle for stay hearings

just thought there may be something new in it today in case you need to argue on the day.

jan

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Hi Scoobz Im sure your judge will see that A&L are just playing with the system and will not grant them a stay, after all the work you have put in you deserve the pleasure of being able to wipe the floor with them:wink:

Good luck!!! i would keep my fingers crossed for you but i didnt do me any good so better not:(

Nicky

Thanks Jan & Nicky I'll have a read of the link just in case..

It's all quiet at the moment not heard anything from court or Scraggie Wraggies but I'm sure they will be up to no good plotting and scheming as usual !

Keep you posted!

Scoobz