Jump to content
  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • doesn't say will anything. read it properly and carefully.   only the owner of a debt can get one of the many fake/tame paperwork only solicitors to issue any proceedings and they would have to abide by the courts pre action protocol of 30  days letter first!   as it's owner...i can try and instruct my dog to sit, if it does is a totally different matter. if my neighbour, who doesn't own my dog, tries it, it would ignore them.   the bottom line is there is nothing anyone can do to you. gyms don't do court gym debts don't appear on credit files.   any DCA they might get to write to you ARE NOT BAILIFFS any a DCA has ZERO legal powers on any debt, no matter what it's type.   dx    
    • This letter arrived in the post today, please advise how to proceed. I know the forums say they won't action but am very worried about this
    • go save his bacon clint and put him right...   dx  
    • one multipage pdf only please read our upload guide carefully please   dx
    • Good to hear from you, London, I was wondering how you were getting on.   Take care.  
  • Our picks

    • Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.
      We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.
      After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.
      It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.
      A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?
      After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.
      The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 
      You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.
        • Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.
      I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.
      As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.
      If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.
      They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.
      If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.
      The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.
      They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.
      Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks
        • Like

Freedom of Information Act - Police

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4808 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts



I know a few people have asked on various sites, Can you S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) the Police?


So I have detailed Greater Manchester Police Freedom of Information Policy.

Most other forces will operate similar to this:


Freedom of Information


Right of access

The Freedom of Information Act 2000 gives a general right of access to all types of recorded information held by public authorities, sets out exemptions from that right and places a number of obligations on public authorities. Any person who makes a request to a public authority for information must be informed whether the public authority holds that information and, subject to exemptions, supplied with that information.

Individuals already have the right of access to information about themselves under the Data Protection Act 1998. As far as public authorities are concerned, the Freedom of Information Act will extend this right to allow public access to all types of information held. This individual right of access to information came into effect on 1st January 2005.

Public authorities are required to adopt and maintain a publication scheme setting out the classes of information they hold, the manner in which they intend to publish the information, and whether a charge will be made for the information. The purpose of a scheme is to ensure a significant amount of information is available, without the need for a specific request. Schemes are intended to encourage organisations to publish more information pro-actively and to develop a greater culture of openness.

The Act is enforced by the Information Commissioner (the "Commissioner"), a post that combines regulation of both the Freedom of Information and Data Protection Acts. More information about the role of the Information Commissioner can be found at http://www.ico.gov.uk/eventual.aspx


Legal Framework


What is the legal framework for a publication scheme?

Their purpose is to be a means by which a public authority can make a significant amount of information available routinely, without waiting for someone to specifically request it.

Section 19(2) of the Act sets out the requirements for a publication scheme as follows:

  1. Specify classes of information that the public authority publishes or intends to publish;
  2. specify the manner in which information of each class is, or is intended to be, published; and,
  3. specify whether the material is, or is intended to be, available to the public free of charge or on payment.Section 19(3) states that "in adopting or reviewing a publication scheme, a public authority shall have regard to the public interest in allowing public access to information held by the authority and in the publication of reasons for decisions made by the public authority".

  1. Section 19(1) provides that it shall be the duty of every public authority to adopt and maintain a publication scheme, to publish information in accordance with its scheme and, from time to time, to review its publication scheme.
    Individual Rights of Access
    Types of information
    Individuals already have the right of access to information about them ('personal data') which is held on computer, and in some paper files, under the Data Protection Act 1998 (see next page). As far as public authorities are concerned, Freedom of Information will extend this right to allow access to all the types of information held, whether personal or non-personal.
    This right came into effect in January 2005.
    The Act does, however, set out some exemptions to this right and it also places a number of obligations on public authorities about the way in which they provide information. Subject to the exemptions anyone making a request has the right to be told whether information exists and the right to receive the information. In general, a response must be provided promptly within 20 working days.
    There is also a duty on public authorities to provide advice or assistance to anyone seeking information (for example in order to explain what is readily available or to clarify what is wanted).
    To see what information is available on our publication scheme please go to 'Classes of Information'.
    If the information you require is not available on this site please make a request, details are given on the 'how to obtain information' page'.
    Data Protection
    It gives individuals certain rights. It also says those who record and use personal information must be open about how the information is used and must follow the eight principles of 'good information handling'.
    Anyone processing personal data must comply with the eight enforceable principles of good practice. They say that data must be:
  2. Processed fairly and lawfully
  3. Processed for limited purposes
  4. Adequate, relevant and not excessive
  5. Accurate and up-to-date
  6. Not kept longer than necessary
  7. Processed in accordance with the data subject's rights
  8. Secure
  9. Not transferred to countries outside EEA without adequate protection

Applying for Personal Information

Please see Subject Access page under Associated Pages


GMP Publication Scheme



In conjunction with all the other police forces in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, key areas of information that the public may require, were identified and form the basis of our classes of information.

Greater Manchester Police are committed to delivering an open and transparent service whenever possible and it is our intention to publish information in our Publication Scheme that the public have an interest in viewing. However, as we are committed to protecting the communities we serve, preventing and detecting crime, it must be recognised that certain information, in the public interest should not be disclosed.

Information concerning ongoing investigations, investigative methods, intelligence and the use of related operational techniques must be protected. They are central to the maintenance of a safe and just society. In this respect, Greater Manchester Police will, when appropriate, apply reasonable consideration of the exemptions afforded under the Freedom of Information Act, particularly; Section 30 Investigation and proceedings conducted by public authorities, Section 31 Law enforcement and Section 41 Information provided in confidence.

The person responsible for maintaining the Publication Scheme for Greater Manchester Police is the FOIA Coordinator who is situated within our Information Management Unit (email- freedomofinformation@gmp.police.uk ).

Aim Of The Scheme

The aim of the Publication Scheme is to set out:

  • What information Greater Manchester Police publishes or intends to publish as a matter of course
  • How we will publish this information
  • Whether the information will be available free of charge or on payment.

How to obtain information


information and publications

Where information is available on the Force's website a hypertext link will direct you to the correct page on the website. Where no online version is available, you should apply to:

Freedom of Information Act Coordinator,

Information Management Section,

Greater Manchester Police Headquarters,

PO Box 22 (S West PDO),

7th Floor,

Chester House,

Boyer Street,


M16 0RE.

Or alternatively email:


When requesting information included in this scheme please include the following details:

  • Your name and address
  • The information or documents you would like to access
  • The way you would like the information to be sent to you
  • (e.g. hard copy, via email).

how long will it take

We will provide information listed in the Publication Scheme promptly and in any case within twenty working days.


Classes of Information



The Freedom of Information Act requires a Publication Scheme to specify the classes of information the public authority already publishes or intends to publish. Our intention is to publish as much information as possible on subjects where there is known to be public interest. However, exemptions under the Freedom of Information Act may prevent some information from being released.

In addition to these classes of information we intend to provide details of information relating to current and topical issues. This area will be constantly reviewed and updated.

Please click on the Classes listed below to view the information we publish:


Subject Access


Subject Access

Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 states that a "data subject" (the person about whom the personal data refers) is entitled, upon written request, to be informed whether or not personal data is held or processed about them.

Should you wish to know what information (if any) the Greater Manchester Police holds about you, or you would like confirmation that you do, or do not have a prosecution/conviction history, you are required to make such a request in writing. For your convenience Greater Manchester Police have devised a standard subject access form which can be printed off.

Once you have printed and completed your application form, please either post to the address below or take it into a police station in the Greater Manchester area (please note, these forms will not be accepted at stations outside of Greater Manchester). Payment of a £10.00 fee and 2 documents of identification must accompany your completed Greater Manchester Police subject access form.

Application forms are also available from:

Information Management Section

Greater Manchester Police Headquarters,

PO Box 22 (S. West PDO),

7th Floor,

Chester House,

Boyer Street,


M16 0RE.

Tel: 0161 856 2534

Alternatively, you can email the unit at subjectaccess@gmp.police.uk to obtain an application form or click on the PDF in associated documents.

Please note that once we have received your completed application the process to provide you with information can take up to 40 days.


Hope this helps people, PKea

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why have you posted - your quote answers your own question :-S

Here to help!


Good with employment, disability and welfare/benefit questions :rolleyes:

Just ask!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Because it may help someone else's situation. Not all threads on here are about individual problems - feel free to post any useful consumer information yourself as and when you find it, davjoh.


Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Why have you posted - your quote answers your own question :-S


I have posted to answer questions posed by other users.


Many people want to get details from Police forces and this is how to obtain that information.


and ditto to wahat Demon has said

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...