Cabot and Ruthridge help for a newbie to this site

BTB
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5109 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yes. Yes, attach copies of your correspondence to your defence. The judge is more likely to give them an extra couple of weeks to comply. Then if they don't comply the case will be thrown out.

Shall I mention that I am using a different address for service purely because Cabot and Ruthbridge were phoning my elderly mother and stating bailiffs would attend and cease her property and she became stressed and that if its to go to court could the bring it into Gloucester County Court rather than Reading County Court??

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right then Guys

Just got home from work all prepared to build the defence to send to court and there was a letter from the Solicitors acting for Cabot

The covering letter states

We enclose herewith by way of service upon you, Notice of acting together with Notice of Discontinuance

Then attached is the Notice of Acting dated 3 March 2008 which states

TAKE NOTICE that we Messrs Hodsons of glebe house, 2 Clifton Road, Rugby CV21 3PX have been appointed to act as Solicitors on behalf of the Claimant herein as the Claimants wish to continue with this action

Then attached is a Notice of Discontinuance to the Court also dated 3 March 2008 which states

The Claimant Discontinues all of this claim

against the defendant

It hasnt been signed by the judge to grant permission for the claimant to discontinue all of this claim etc

it also states

I certify that I have served a copy of this notice on every other party to the proceedings..

SO

Does this mean they are withdrawing any action? and if so can they try again at a later date?

Shall I still send in all my defence paperwork?

Phone the court in the morning to check - they may be using this to change solicitors at the last minute... this lot play dirty so to send BOTH notices with the same date could be deemed 'abuse of process'.

See what the court have to say and have your defence paperwork ready incase they ask you to fax it.

You need to keep the Notice of Discontinuance as if anybody else comes chasing after this debt you just send them that and that should be it - copying the court in on the correspondence at the same time just to be on the safe side.

agree with silly girl. contact court and KEEP documents

If my advice has been helpful please feel free to click on my scales :grin:

Creditors and DCAs - Letter Templates & Budget Planner (CCA request letter N)and other templates)

Debt Collection Agencies & Statutory Demands, a few strategies

Abbey charges, Won

B-card non-disclosure of S.A.R, WON £30 costs awarded

B-Card, court for harrasement, failed to defend WON £175 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/125554-28-days-later-no.html#post1422508

B-Card charges, partial refund, still fighting

Vanquis-Cabot, GIVEN UP :lol:

HFC & my mum, no brainer, no CCA http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/133330-hfc-my-mum.html#post1404514

PLEASE donate to CAG however small. They are fighting for YOUR rights as a consumer. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/

Well Ive just rang the Court and they have received the Notice of Discontinuance from Cabot and have informed me that that is it matter closed..

So I supposed its safe to say its all over???

Reading your post with interest and have now pricked my ears when Hodson solicitors mentioned---- I have experience of these solicitors and I think you will find that they have just taken over the case ( nasty lot are Cabot).

They managed to get(through my own naivity) a charging order on my house which I would like to fight retrospectivley waiting for replies on another thread on this site

Would like to wish good luck and keep going

Please note: I am not a lawyer and as such any advice I give is purely from a laymans point of view;-)

Well Ive just rang the Court and they have received the Notice of Discontinuance from Cabot and have informed me that that is it matter closed..

So I supposed its safe to say its all over???

it certainly looks like it :D

keep all info on record tho, JUST in case they sell it on for another DCA to try it on you

Creditors and DCAs - Letter Templates & Budget Planner (CCA request letter N)and other templates)

Abbey charges, Won

B-Card, court for harrasement, failed to defend WON £175 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/125554-28-days-later-no.html#post1422508

HFC & my mum, no brainer, no CCA http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/133330-hfc-my-mum.html#post1404514

PLEASE donate to CAG however small. They are fighting for YOUR rights as a consumer. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/

Reading your post with interest and have now pricked my ears when Hodson solicitors mentioned---- I have experience of these solicitors and I think you will find that they have just taken over the case ( nasty lot are Cabot).

They managed to get(through my own naivity) a charging order on my house which I would like to fight retrospectivley waiting for replies on another thread on this site

Would like to wish good luck and keep going

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/133750-cabot-charging-order.html

I've no experience with Charging Orders - so I am bumping this with a link to your thread hoping somebody might know more to help you with this.

Keep reading and use the search facilty with "charging order" or "Cabot" etc.. you'll see loads of useful threads come up - you can then use the "thread tool" to subscribe to any threads you want to keep an eye on etc..

The more you learn about Cabots - the better equiped you'll be for dealing with them. :grin:

I would like to thank everyone on this site that has given me their time and knowledge to help me fight this for my brother..

Chuffed to bits that we took on the big boys and WON....YIPPIE

THANK YOU (and keep up the good work)

:)

thats what we here for :D

your most welcome

Abbey charges, Won

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Right then guys...2 years on

Just got home and there is a letter from Cabot chasing the debt again. The letter is a generic one and it has no mention of the notice of discontinuance from 2 years ago...

What do I do???

Do i just send them a copy of the notice?? or do I have to go through the whole process again???

After reading loads of threads Im tempted just to ignore them until I get court papers.....good idea?? or shall I have a play with the crapbots for a while???

After reading loads of threads Im tempted just to ignore them until I get court papers.....good idea?? or shall I have a play with the crapbots for a while???

While they may have discontinued legal action the debt still exists - so this is there way of saying we have not quite gone away yet!!

They should not re-issue court proceedings if they do your defence will be straightforward. Could they have found anything new in the case?

So the debt will stil exist until it becomes Statute Barred- and even then they may sell the account onto another DCA.

I would ignore for now and see if they make any stronger attempts to collect.

Beau

Please note: I am not a lawyer and as such any advice I give is purely from a laymans point of view;-)

In recent month Cabot have renewed their "interest" in a lot of longdead accounts which they bought from their pals in banking industry. When more people were completely unaware of their rights to fight these cretins they were raking in the cash. Now the tide has turned and Cabot and their like are finding it exceedingly difficult to make a fast buck - hopefully even a buck at all.

Dealing with this I would write, by recordeddelivery, to their compliance manager and remind him of their previous letter and asking why they have send you a threatogram. Bearing in mind the nature of their previous letter you could insist on your details being removed from their systems.

Let us know what happens because there are a lot of cabot, and cabot related accounts, popping up these days.

In recent month Cabot have renewed their "interest" in a lot of longdead accounts which they bought from their pals in banking industry. When more people were completely unaware of their rights to fight these cretins they were raking in the cash. Now the tide has turned and Cabot and their like are finding it exceedingly difficult to make a fast buck - hopefully even a buck at all.

Dealing with this I would write, by recordeddelivery, to their compliance manager and remind him of their previous letter and asking why they have send you a threatogram. Bearing in mind the nature of their previous letter you could insist on your details being removed from their systems.

Let us know what happens because there are a lot of cabot, and cabot related accounts, popping up these days.

2.5 years ago when this reared its ugly butt, the debt was already Statued Barred and neither Barclays (the original creditor), Ruthbridge or Cabot could not supply the original credit agreement or the Deeds of assignment. They did start the legal proceedings but when I wrote to their solicitors requesting info they came back with the Notice of Discontinuance, which was in Feb 2008.

I can only assume from what you have said they are now clutching at straws..I will dig all the old paper work out and send them a snotty letter along with re-igniting the complaint too the OFT etc..

I will keep you informed...Thank god I kept every piece of paperwork from 2 years ago..and there was me thinking it was dead and buried....oh Happy Days:D

Hiya BTB

Well done you on defeating these slime balls!

Been reading your thread with interest. I am going through exactly the same with cabot, an account that went sb in 2006 and they now say that as I sent £1 payment in 2007 (when in fact it was a cca request) this being an admission on my part that I owe them.

Just sent them a letter to take a hike and if they insist on court action I will defend and counterclaim, see what they say to that, though looking at yours looks like I can accept a letter from their solicitors - bring it on.

md:)