• Tweets

• I've just started to read Carey v HSBC on Casemine, 
    • Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Covering my angles/ass - dodgy lcd tv seller and refund

kp278
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6056 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi,

this would infer that it does-

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/businesscentre/explained/8.html

i bought a tv 3 months ago on ebay (buy it now). it was a customer returned/ unused item. the seller advised it came with 1 years warranty, which they are honouring. 1 month ago i returned the tv as the sound went and i was sent a replacement tv. 1 week ago the picture went and i've returned this second tv. the seller has offered me an alternative product, or i can go for the same product. neither of these appeal to me as it costs me £33 each time i have to return the tv (its a return to base warranty) and i'm almost certain i'm going to continue to have problems with these "refurbished" tvs.

usually the sale of goods act does not apply to auctions, but according to the link above, if the seller is running a business, which im certain they are, than it does.

can i argue the not-fit-for-purpose or without-defect clause in the sale of goods act?

thanks, kris

unless you purchase an item through an auction, if this is the case then it is not covered by the SGA 1979 as amended. however if you brought the item through the buy it now function then you would be able to claim through the sale of goods act / contract law

thats my understanding of the law as a 2nd year law student. i may be wrong but thats how i read it

regards

paul

• 2 months later...

hi,

i need to cover my angles for a potential refund that i should be getting tomorrow, but i have a gut feeling its not going to be straightforward.

diluted

-------

i bought an lcd tv from ebay four months ago. it broke. got sent another one. it broke. got sent a third one. it broke. asked for refund. seller advised will be processed monday 27th.

the juice

---------

best explained by a letter i sent him this week.

Dear Mr X,

I purchased item #123456789 Hitachi 32LD6600 LCD TV from you on the 12th March 2007 at a cost of £399.99. The equipment has proved to be defective/ ceased to work. On the 18th May 2007 I received an identical replacement. The equipment has proved to be defective/ ceased to work. On the 16th June 2007 you agreed by telephone that you would provide me with a refund if a replacement JVC LT32DR7 LCD TV was defective. On the 19th June 2007 I received a replacement JVC LT32DR7 LCD TV. The equipment has proved to be defective/ ceased to work. On the 20th August 2007 you agreed to have the equipment collected on the 21st August 2007. The equipment was not collected. On the 20th August 2007 you refused to confirm that you would be issuing me with a refund of £399.99.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) requires you to ensure that goods are of a satisfactory quality and fit for their normal purpose. The goods clearly do not meet either of these requirements.

The Distance Selling Regulations Act (2000) states that if goods develop a fault within the first six months of being sold, the law presumes that the fault was there when you sold the goods- unless you can show otherwise. You should not charge return costs for goods that have been rejected because they are faulty.

The Distance Selling Regulations Act (2000) states that a refund must be issued as soon as requested, allowing for a reasonable amount of time. You cannot demand that the TV be returned before a refund is issued.

Accordingly, I am writing to advise you that I am rejecting the goods and claiming a full refund for the cost of the equipment and the cost of returning the two previous defective pieces of equipment. This amounts to a total of £465.99.

You are listed as a private seller on Ebay. In the eyes of the law and the Inland Revenue the moment you buy something with a view to reselling at a profit you lose private seller status and are treated as acting in the course of a business and are subject to the Sale Of Goods Act (as amended) and the Distance Selling Regulations (2000).

If a private seller sells similar items on a regular basis he is deemed to be acting in the course of a business and is subject to the Sale Of Goods Act (as amended) and the Distance Selling Regulations (2000).

Should a refund not be forthcoming I will pursue a claim at County Court. The fee for this is £50- a fee I am entitled to add to my claim. I am also entitled to add interest at the statutory judicial rate of 8%. This would bring a total claim against you of £531.52.

I do not wish to take these actions but I have exhausted all avenues in the hope of coming to a fair and reasonable agreement.

I look forward to receiving a refund of £465.99 within the next 7 days.

Yours faithfully,

Me

now, i had to send him this as he wouldnt agree to issue me with a refund. the tv has now been collected. he is listed as a private seller on ebay, but he sells ALOT of tvs and other electrical equipment AND, after looking up the delivery address on the receipt i got, i found out they are registered from this address as a limited company.

when i initially asked for a refund he kept trying to say that the warranty is with jvc and he would need to speak to them. i kept saying that i dont care who makes the tv, i bought it from you so my contract is with you, not the manufacturer.

he's never really responded to my queries, especially when i mention the word refund. however i text him on friday and he text back saying "Once its received need 2 confirm problem. although jvc not replied will refund but will hav 2 be on monday when sufficient funds r available. thank you" so this will likely be a paypal refund.

i've mailed 6-7 buyers who bought said tv around the same time as me, and 2-3 came back and said they had problems.

so a number of things could happen.

a) i could get the refund.

- great

b) he could delay further. ok i suppose, he only has til thursday 30th

before i start legal action.

- not so great

c) say that the fault with the tv is my fault- what do i do here?

- i understand within 6 months its upto the seller to prove the fault wasn't there when the item was sold. what if he says he can prove it?

d) try and send me a replacement tv.

- what can i quote here? tell him that out of 7 people i mailed, 3 have had faulty goods? any juicy legal stuff i can use?

my other problem is that is he actually bound by the laws quoted above? am i right in thinking that i can prove he is more than a private seller (not just in the eyes of ebay), but the law and the taxman and therefore subject to these laws.

i want to have an answer ready for any scenario he may throw my way.

thanks if you're still reading :-)

3 TVs and all don't work after a short period, you must be up in arms due to this, E.Bay are quite fickle when it comes to things like this, but it might be worth just e.mailing them to seek wether there are prepared to become involved, and act on your behalf ? I know with similar experince e.bay don't like getting involved after a certain period has alapsed, you could also get chatting in the in e.bay chat rooms and the sellers and buyers there might be able to give you there experinces in such matters.

Since you got the 1st TV back in March 2007 and had two other TVs since, 5 months had now passed, which makes me think e.bay won't assist you, but it might be worth asking for there advice, no doubt you got a receipt with each TV that was sent to you, this will show the name of business and vat number if registered ? Far as i,m aware e.bay power sellers are legally bound as businesses and pay taxes and vat. which might assist you in making your claim.

I note the seller has been communicating with you with respect this matter, and not just ignoring things, which might be seen as good news for you, or just further delay tatics on there behalf, but since you have waited this long, i'd endeavour to wait and see the out-come once the bank holiday is over, should no postive result be forecoming to suit all concerned then i would follow up with the letter you have penned.

I wouldn't mention intrest at this stage, just the costs that you have occurred sending the TVs back ( hope the seller agreed returning costs would be refunded, did you give them the opition of collecting each tv as required ? ) and the cost of the TV itself.

Good luck and when you get your money back, there are some great offers on at the moment from big companies that sell TVs, think you might get something alot more for your money at the mo.

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

You seem to know what you are doing - within the first six months the trader must prove that the product wasn't faulty, which he can't do.

Did you pay with a credit card? If so, you have some extra protection if the seller doesn't play ball.

Also, are you sure in the ebay ads he doesn't state he's a trader? If so, he commits a criminal offence (Business Advertisements (Disclosures) Order).

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Ebay won't care, PayPal might, but it looks as though you're well past their cut off point for resolving issues like this. His agreement to refund via PayPal being subject to his account being funded sounds OK, as he cannot make a refund unless it is from an existing balance. However was I find incredible that a JVC pan goes fault from the box - were you genuinely getting a replacement (ie different serial number) model each time?

hi, the first two tvs were hitachi, and they were different to each other as they had wall mount bolts on the back in slightly different places. and the jvc was another tv altogether, so definitely three different tvs. i dont think he can make a paypal 'refund' as its past 45 or 90 days (cant remember which). i would have thought he would have a bank account linked to his account and be able to use that for funding a payment...?

i spoke to him earlier and he said he only had £250 in his paypal account at the moment but once he sells a couple more stereos (£55 each) or one camcorder (£150) he will be able to refund me, he says tuesday or wednesday latest. seeing as i cant do anything until this friday (the deadline i gave him) i might as well wait til it pans out. he said they repaired the tv pretty easily but he sounded happy to give me a refund. i think its all good, but wont count my chickens yet.

I would be wary of accepting any funds via Paypal unless it is a refund of the original transaction, because you'll have to pay fees to receive it; and also he could potentially do a chargeback at a later date.

If it's too late for a refund (I think it's 60 day limit, not sure) - then ask him for cash, cheque or direct bank transfer.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

barracad- i've downgraded my paypal account so anything received from another paypal account wont cost me anything. can he do a paypal chargeback, or are you referring to a creditcard chargeback?

as i understand now, paypal can only do a chargeback if there are funds in your paypal account- i don't think they can take the funds direct from your bank account anymore- anyone care to correct me on this? if he does do a chargeback, i think he's got alot more to lose than i have... :)

scarletpimpernel- i've resisted this course of action so far. i don't want to rile him up while he's still happy to cooperate.

ok, getting impatient now and wanting to play the small claims card....

brief timeline-

fri 17- tv went pop. called and asked for refund. no commitment to refund.

mon 20- after much pushing agreed to have tv collected on tue 21

thu 23- tv collected and above letter sent

fri 24- tv and letter signed for. text him asking about tv and he advised refund on monday once tv checked over and when funds available (so presume paypal)

mon 27- i called and he advised not enough funds available but should be a couple of days

tue 28- someone bought something to the tune of the amount i need, and his feedback is alot of "quick payment" so presume paypal and pretty quickly

tue 28- i text advising he can refund me by bank transfer as an alternative

wed 29- i can see seller has been online this morning. i text saying that if no refund by end of day we should look at bank transfer or payment over counter or cash/cheque by special delivery. i've emailed buyer of latest item asking (in a roundabout sort of way) if he has made payment for item. no response yet.

now i know i shouldnt really be texting, and keeping it official with letters, but doing my head in, much? i don't think the seller is dodgy, but i don't think he's taking me seriously or treating this with any urgency. i don't want to wade in with court action yet, but i've been waiting nearly two weeks.

another thing that strikes me, is he not afraid of court action? does he know something i don't?

thanks for listening

ok, got my refund now. and relax.

How has he refunded you?

barracad- i've downgraded my paypal account so anything received from another paypal account wont cost me anything. can he do a paypal chargeback, or are you referring to a creditcard chargeback?

as i understand now, paypal can only do a chargeback if there are funds in your paypal account- i don't think they can take the funds direct from your bank account anymore- anyone care to correct me on this? if he does do a chargeback, i think he's got alot more to lose than i have... :)

Even though he isn't actually purchasing anything from you, if he sends you a payment by Paypal and then at a later date complains he hasn't received anything from you, Paypal would do a "chargeback" if you are unable to prove he has received something from you - as daft as it sounds this is how it works! Yes, this would probably be limited to the funds you have available in your Paypal account at the time, but they would pursue you for the "debt".

refunded by paypal. in the subject heading of the payment he put

"***REFUND REQUEST***"

so hopefully i can argue it was a refund if anything goes belly up.

already taken out of my account too.