Credit Services Association

detectall

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5136 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone has made a complaint to the CSA and had a result. I was looking at their website and complaints procedure. They state that a complaint should be made to the DCA in the first instance and then to them if a customer wants to take the matter further.

All of the DCA's I'm dealing with are members and I would be interested if anyone has gone down this route and had any success or not.

IMO the CSA is an old boys club for DCA's. Don't expect any action from them - they are there to protect the interests of their members (they even state this on their website).

If you don't get anywhere with your complaint to a DCA complain to the FOS, they at least are an independent body.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

The CSA's a very interesting organisation.

Most DCAs like to show off the CSA 'kitemark'. Some are full members, some are associate members.

The CSA has an excellent Code of Practice, here:

CSA Website

It bothers me that quite a few 'members' fail to meet the CSA Code of Practice.

I wonder what the CSA is going to do about it.

The CSA wants a complainant to go through the complaints procedure with the DCA concerned, before approaching them.

- the problem with a complaint via the DCA concerned, is that many of the DCAs are not beyond doctoring/editing/tippexing (;)) their 'records'. Therefore if you ask for a copy of their complaints procedure, and follow their 'procedure' - ie. they make their own rules, your complaint follows their rules, their rules say (to them), we can sort this out ourselves, somebody change/burn/delete the evidence!, then they reply saying 'We've no idea what you mean in your complaint!', you've given them ample time to cover themselves regarding the issues complained about!!

I'm thinking that, in general terms, we should make it clear from the very beginning that we have a complaint, even when we ask for a CCA/SAR, if a DCA has acted in a manner that should be challenged. That the complaint should be kept ongoing, and that as far as the DCA's complaints procedures are concerned, treat them with suspicion. Request information, ask them for details, pursue the matter with any/all authorities, but keep the complaint/dispute with the DCA bubbling.

The CSA has great aims, but while their complaints involve first going through the DCAs, they're overseeing cheats and bullies that they really shouldn't associate themselves with.

But that would be the process for individual complaints. How about a Mass Complaint? We're fast approaching the 'mutual congratulation', 'backslapping' 'conference season, it seems.

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

IMO the CSA is an old boys club for DCA's. Don't expect any action from them - they are there to protect the interests of their members (they even state this on their website).

If you don't get anywhere with your complaint to a DCA complain to the FOS, they at least are an independent body.

Just read this, Rory. Doesn't the FOS also say that a complaint should go through the DCA's complaints procedure before going to them?

Subscribing...

"To love unconditionally is the greatest gift, laughter is a close second" .To give your time to help others after being helped here is the best way to show your appreciation to your fellow CAG members.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts. All my knowledge has been gained here, for which I'm very grateful. I'm a Journalist, not a law professional.

If you do PM, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private ;)

BB 13 - DCAs/banks and solicitors 0.

I get a fresh start to get on with learning to live with severe disabilities when they could have had something if they'd been understanding...

<--- If you feel I've helped, please twinkle my star :)

FOS Website - re. Complaints:

what's the first step to complaining?

If you have a problem with a financial product or service, it's always best to see if you can sort it out first of all direct with the business concerned. Give them the chance to put things right.

If you're having difficulty contacting the business or you're unsure about anything, let us know. We'll explain what you should do next.

Then:

when can the ombudsman service get involved?

We can get involved and start looking at your complaint if:

• the business has sent you a letter with its final response to your complaint, but you're still unhappy or
  • the business has had eight weeks already but has still not sent you its final response.

From here:

your complaint and the ombudsman - our consumer leaflet

Your post

Doesn't the FOS also say that a complaint should go through the DCA's complaints procedure before going to them?

My earlier post

If you don't get anywhere with your complaint to a DCA complain to the FOS

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

'Financial Ombudsman Service gives `Heads Up` to businesses

From CSA's web page here:

CSA Website

Date: 06-07-2007

As you are all aware, the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) has new jurisdiction within the Consumer Credit Act 2006, which extends to all businesses holding Standard Consumer Credit Licences, including those collecting debts. Their Dispute Resolution Service came into force for these businesses on 6th April 2007. There are various rules and requirements which business must work within, however there are also requirements for Consumers who wish to use the service. One of these requirements is that a complaint by a Consumer MUST have gone through the internal complaint procedure of the business BEFORE the FOS will consider it.

It would appear from early indications that Consumers are misunderstanding their requirement and are contacting the FOS directly with their issues without giving the business an opportunity to resolve the dispute internally. The FOS are quite clear that complaints will not be considered (unless the business has not responded to a complaint within 8 weeks – then the consumer has the ability to complain direct to FOS) if the business has not had the opportunity to investigate. If a consumer contacts the FOS directly with their issues, the operators do take note of the issues together with details of the consumer (name, address etc). They advise the consumer they must refer their complaint to the business and await their final response.

As a ‘heads up’ to businesses, the FOS will also write to the complained about company, giving them details of the complainant and a brief overview of the issues they have raised. This letter advises businesses of their requirements within the DISP rules and reminds businesses of their obligation to provide a final response within 8 weeks.

Some of you may have already received a letter from the FOS giving you the ‘heads up’ that a complaint is on its way - don’t panic - remember, the CSA Guidance on the FOS Dispute Resolution is on the Members Only section of the CSA website www.csa-uk.com.

Note esp. the last paragraph.

Thanks for the concensus of opinion. They seem to be as useful as I expected having gone through their written diarrhoea on their website regarding adherence to guidelines.

Just thought I'd check with you all.