Mackenzie Hall

PT74
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6069 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I have received a threatening letter from the above people for a debt which I apparently owe dating back to 2001. I have asked them for proof of the debt and they said I have already had it and that they dont have details as it has been passed to them from another company called "VARDE". They said unless I make full payment before the 30th August, they will instruct solicitors to take me to court.

Any ideas what I should do?

Cheers:(

Sounds as if the debt (if there is one) is either statute barred or very close to being statute barred.

I would send them the statute barred letter here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html template M.

What you have done so far is correct. It is up to them to substantiate any debt.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks for the prompt response. I hate having things like this hanging over me. I shall send them the letter as mentioned.

Cheers, and have a good weekend:) .

If they don't have the details there is no way they can take you to court. You don't have to pay them anything at all.

If they continue to harrass you after you send the statute barred letter write and ask them for details of their complaints procedure. As Consumer Credit Licence holders they must have one but are reluctant to let anyone in on it! Has anyone seen a MHall complaint procedure?)

Should it be produced make a complaint and jump through the hoops until you are satisfied. If not take the complaint to the Financial Ombudsman. Of course if MHall ignore the request for a complaint procedure report them straight away to the ombudsman. An investigation will ensue and the directors will fork out £400 for the privilege.

• 2 weeks later...

I did what you said and sent them the standard letter (template M). On returning home last night, I had another letter, no reference to my letter to them, saying final notice (again) payment deadline 10th September. What do you think the next step is? Ignore it or send them another letter?:confused:

You could ignore it. I would. They are bound to send you another, and another.

Then you could write to them and say you are fedup of their letters, remind them you have said its statute barred which means they have to prove it exists and ask them for details of their complaints procedure. I've asked for it but have yet to receive it.

If they don't comply you are justified in going to the Financial Ombudsman and asking him to investigate the matter. That will cost our Scottish friends about £400.

Me and Mrs t-star both had letters from Mac Hall relating to Varde. I contacted Mac Hall and as usual they were extremely rude and agressive. They would not give me any details as to who Varde are. But after a bit of detective work i found a number for them. I phoned Varde and spoke to a very nice chap and explained about this debt. He then said that he would contact Mac Hall and get the debt wiped. A good result. Varde have also confirmed in writing that they have written the debt off. If you want a contact number PM me and i will send you it....

FOR THE BENEFIT OF OUR FRIENDS IN THE NSA USING THE PRISM SYSTEM. HELLO FROM THE UK.