Tribunal - Notice of Invalid Proposal re; Council Tax rebanding

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6085 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I hope I'm in the right section, apologies if not! This Thursday I'm due to go to a tribunal. I have tried to appeal against the council tax banding of my house, they're insisting on enforcing the six month rule. The tribunal is to try & get the six month ruling revoked to enable me to then appeal against my banding. I'm appealing on the grounds that I didn't buy my property, the ownership was transferred to me when my Dad died in 2005. In addition to this at the time I didn't pay Council Tax as I was on income support, although the bills were in my name. Has anyone else either attended a tribunal re; six month ruling or have any information on how new house owners are made aware they can appeal their banding within six months. IE: should I have been informed when I became the new owner that the banding could be challenged? :confused: Thanks in advance for any info!

The six month rule would be irrelevant if you were genuinely not the beneficial owner of the property (the issue of being income support wouldn't be relevant to this). What confuses me is why are you appealing against the banding? Did it alter during you being listed as being responsible for the tax?

If the house was not anyone's residence (ie 'empty') you would get empty property relief for up to a year, then a discount for a 'second home'.

Hi Buzby, Thanks for your response. I'm appealing as several houses in my road are the same if not bigger & on a lower banding, I'm E they're D. The house wasn't empty at all, as soon as my Dad died I moved in. However at that time as I was on Income Support I didn't take much notice of the bandings & the difference between mine & several neighbours. I wondered really whos' if anyones responsibilty it would be to inform me of the six month rule once the house was mine.

I'd love to know that too as the first I heard of the 6 month rule was when I appealed and I've sine looked around and on information about appealing is the only place you find that fact. Certainly not on any of my council's leaflets. I wish I could offer you advice, all I can say is good luck!