Paying off my mortgage?

luna985

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5141 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a question for all the mortgage experts out there. I have a 120k mortgage and I have a budget of around £800 to pay off this mortgage. I need an approximate answer to this question bearing in mind that C&R mortgages are 'front-loaded' for the interest on the loan.

Which of these two methods will pay the most off the capital on my mortgage:

Capital and repayment at £800 - how much capital would I pay off after 3 years?

Interest only at £600 a month and then overpaying by £200 per month (thus coming straight off the capital).

I do hope that makes sense......

Do you mean you have £800 per month to overpay?

Have you got a flexible mortgage that allows you to do this penalty free?

It is probably in their product literature how overpayments are applied - are you charged a daily or yearly interest calculation?

An overpayment would surely go straight off the capital, which would then reduce the interest

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

cheers for the responses. I am looking at exactly the same mortgage products (5.99% tracker but for my calcs I am assuming fixed as the principle applies whatever the rate).

I have £800 to pay my total mortgage costs. If I go Capital and Repayment then will I pay off as much capital as if I go interest only and overpay the difference between the C&R option and the Interest only option (ie about £200 p/m).

I think its going to pay off more capital if I go C&R according to

Mortgage repayment | Calculators | Guardian Unlimited Money