Direct Debit Re Taken??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5008 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not even sure if this is the right place to ask but.. My partner pays for her contact lenses by DD, We were on our holidays and Specsavers tried to take the DD without enough money in the account to cover it.. This was our own fault so we accept the charges.

We imediately paid a cheque into the account, However Specsavers then less than a week later tried to take the DD again before the cheque had chance to clear and without giving us any prior notice.

Can they do this??

The direct debit Guarantee states "If there is a change in the amount to be paid or the payment date, the person receiving the payment (the originator) must notify the customer in advance"

Please help.. I cant afford the 1st £35 charge let alone the second.

Yes they can, as they don't expect you're going to pay by any other means. They didn't get it the first time, so their 'system' tries again, and possibly once more before they treat the DD as permanently failed.

However, rather than accept the charge (from your bank) they are already having to defend themselves in court in an action raised by the OFT for charging over the odds for a failed DD, so it might be worth your while objecting and seeing if you get a refund of this penalty.

They must notify you 10 days in advance even for a resubmission.

Contact the company and ask them to read out the dd guarnatee they say over the phone. They will mention 10 days notice!

They prob will say that they sent a letter re submission for payment.

Idax

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Actually, they don;t. This has been reduced to just 7 days, and they get round the resubmission problem by saying as the original debit failed, they can reapply as the customer must have been aware of the original debit date. As for expecting the 'guarantee' to offer any worthwhile protection, I'm surprised anyone thinks of it as such!

I've stopped any DDs on my account and now pay everything online due to this problem, I've had three charges for a £5 dd which ended up in £90+ charges, which I DID get refunded.

Okay I might get the odd £5 fee for non payment by DD but this can be challenged on the basis that you DON'T pay by cheque and use the online services and it doesn't say that the £5 is for anything other than payment by cheque....

The DD guarantee isn't worth the hassle as it can (and DOES) take up to 40 days for money "inapproprately withdrawn" to be returned to you.