• Tweets

• No you don't have to pay them.  it is their scam which the Courts know about. There was a classic case a few years ago that decided that £100 was not a penalty because that company had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park clear of cars that overstayed etc because they were there to maximise the availability of car park spaces. As Starbucks was closed in your case, Met have no legitimate interest so their £100 charge IS a penalty. Therefore the case would be thrown out. if they took you to Court and you turned up in Court to defend yourself. So no you shouldn't pay.
    • Thank you as always. Okay, will contact Tesco and will ignore the appeal, and will let you know what happens. You guys are superheroes.
    • A former Tesla engineer is in a decade-long battle with the car company, owned by Elon Musk.View the full article
    • what isn't working out....one very small issue, the rest is going perfectly fine. stop doing your usually running around waving arms and screaming on my god oh my god...sorry too used to you LMM even if you cant hold down a new bank account all is not lost .  ive not seen any reports that monzo refuse people  so go with them. pers as i said id NOT be using any switch service, as there are debts you want to stop paying and get them defaulted BEFORE you ever think of poss might could should pay them. its only a handful of stuff like rent/ctax/ etc that you need DD for ive not used DD's in almost 30yrs now nor use Standing orders, i do it by BACS each month priority bills first (can take roof from over my head if not paid) there REST all get paid if/when i've had the money. 2 well 3 things id dump too or get cheaper. cable/sat tv - ££6PCM . which i will is internet/tv/landline ? from whom that is very expensive. mine is £27PCM for 100MPS Broadband etc all in. 3 tv licence... who cant tell you are watching live tv even if you dont.... mobile phone £27? - go over to giffgaff no contract and as cheap as £6PCM even with mobile data (but use your home wf-fi when indoors!!) no need to keep using @Username, everyone that posted gets an alert like you do if someone posts. dx  
    • Critall windows date back to the 1880s but their steel construction makes them vulnerable to damp.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Johndough vs. Bank of Scotland

johndough
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6026 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, another newbie. Today I finally got around to going through the pile of statements I have received from the bank and have around £5000 in charges (just about fell off my chair!). I am going to do a bit more reading on here etc. over the next days before the next step but for now there are a couple of things I am not clear on.

The £5000 covers the period Jan 2001 - Aug 2007 which is more than 6 years so I am not sure when you are supposed to backdate the claim amount from, is it the date of applying to the bank for statements? the date of requesting reimbursement of charges? or just whenever I want to set it?

I hope once I set the period it will be under the £5000 mark so I can still go via Small Claims. For this reason I am thinking about ignoring the interest as well?

The other thing is I have read that in Scotland you can only claim for 5 years, is this true as this applies to me?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi John

Welcome aboard !

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/106459-grant123-bos-hbos.html?highlight=grant123

In Scotland you can't claim for more than five years, I started my five year claim from the period I got my statements and worked out the sums involved.

In Scotland the small claims court only handles amounts up to £750.00. You can claim above that but you may be liable to any court exspenses should you lose the case.

Have a look at my thread, it should answer a lot of the questions you probably have, if I can be of any help give me a shout.

Cheers

Hi John

Welcome aboard !

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/106459-grant123-bos-hbos.html?highlight=grant123

In Scotland you can't claim for more than five years, I started my five year claim from the period I got my statements and worked out the sums involved.

In Scotland the small claims court only handles amounts up to £750.00. You can claim above that but you may be liable to any court exspenses should you lose the case.

Have a look at my thread, it should answer a lot of the questions you probably have, if I can be of any help give me a shout.

Cheers

Correct re 5 years, generally and re court BUT.

HBOS decided to pay Scottish customers same as English etc ie 6 years. This was not out of altruism or a fondness for us Scotties, but it made their admin easier. I and Dusary both got this amongst many others. :)

Thanks tilly, I see. I am using the simple spreadsheet and I see it updates the interest automatically at 8% for each charge so that's fine.

There are a few different descriptions of the charges in the spreadsheet template that I don't have on my statements though (EXCESS O/D CHARGE is all I have on my statements) does this matter?

Oh phew! Thanks. I thought I was going to have to figure it out from the transactions myself!! I wish I'd done this a few months ago I'm going to New York next month and have no spending money lol!

Okay I have filled in my spreadsheet to cover 1 Jul 01 - 30 Jun 07 and it comes to £4,771.00 plus interest of £678.15 (£5,449.15 total)

If I send my prelim letter based on this do I have to stick to this total figure IF it goes to court process or can I amend it based on the legal route I decide to take?

Hi Johndough

Welcome.:D

I think Ive got this right, if not please forgive me.

You send your prelim in with the spreadsheet but dont mention the 8% on this (not until you get to the Court stage) just the date your claiming from and the charges . The interest automatically acrues up until the date you win your claim.

They have 14 days to reply if not then its the LBA then another 14 days if still no response then its the N1 off to the Court.

You may get the usual letter saying how they have put a stay on all claims till after the test case but just ignor this and carry on with claim in the normal way.

They are really good at trying to disuade people from putting claims in , stating that their charges are lawful and fair. Yea OK.ha.

Good Luck and any problems at all no matter how big or how small they may seem just give a yell and someone will be there for you.

Regards :)

30-12-2006--Requested statements from Local Halifax.

02-02-2007--Statements Recieved.

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

20-04-2007--Reply , Thanks , give us 8wks letter.

02-0502007--Sent L.B.A. & Schedule of Charges

11-05-2007--Recieved reply ,still investigating.

17-05-2007--Sent Amended L.B.A. for Contractual Interest this time.

14-06-2007--Received standard Bog Off letter.

13-06-2007--Took N1 to Local Courts.

26-06-2007--Copy of N1 from Court, issued 21-06-2007. to Halifax, Deemed Served 25-06-2007

Have till 09-07-2007 to file Defence.

05-07-2007--Note that Acknowledgment of Service been Filed on 29-06-2007.

Have 28 days from date of Service to File Defence.

07-07-2007--Offer from Halifax.

09-07-2007--Rejection letter sent to Halifax. Next day delivery.

10-07-2007--Money put in Account:mad:

Hi guys. Thanks Overflow. So all my spreadsheet should show is the columns for Description, Amount, Date Incurred and the Total Charges. No interest of any kind?

Should I address my letter to the Edinburgh or Halifax HQ? Does it matter?

Thanks Tilly - okay I'm printing and posting. How exciting! I feel like such a rebel *chuckle* :o]

Oh wait, that's what I was going to ask. Is it okay that I include refunded charges as a deduction on the spreadsheet too? Not that it happened often like…

I'm sorry tilly I don't understand what you're saying there… :confused:

I'm a bit confused because the prelim letter template states the total charges AND overdraft interest so should I not show the overdraft interest on the spreadsheet too? Sorry I am totally paranoid I will do something wrong so am being very careful. The prelim letter says:

"I calculate you have taken £XXXX plus £XXX which you have charged me in overdraft interest…Total £XXXXX"

?

Ok cool thank you :) that's what I have done on the spreadsheet overdraft interest is shown but Judicial interest is blank.

Does the paragraph about "you have added a default notice against my credit record" apply to everyone? I don't know anything about them adding a default notice?