Curry's whateverhappens coverplan

jc2k
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4488 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I purchased a lcd TV for curry last Christmas and took them up on there whatever happens protection plan which covers me for cost of repairs, protection against breakdowns caused by mishaps and so on.

The TV was accidentally knocked of its table stand by one of my children onto a vacuum cleaner breaking the screen itself and rendering it useless.

I phoned up curry’s who said that they would get it fixed, they collected it about a month ago and returned it back today unfixed with a letter attached to it state ting that an inspection was carried out by a technician and that they found it to be inconsistent with our description of what happened to it, I mean did they take another TV and drop it onto a vacuum cleaner!!!!!!!!!!!!.

How can I go about getting a replacement TV or a full refund, surly my “whatever happens” plan should cover me for this, I would appreciate any advice please.

Ask them for a full explanation of what they think happened, and then look at the contract to see if it is covered or not. If their view is that it was caused by an incident not covered by the policy, then you will need to demonstrate that it was (by getting a report yourself usually).

If they say it was caused by something else that is covered, then tell them to get their backsides back and get it fixed (and to bring along a replacement TV whilst your waiting).

Bit odd, your WhateverHappens does cover accident. Did you report it as accidental damage? I would call the Whateverappens team and ask them for an explanation. Describe the event that lead to the damage again and ask for their opinion on the matter. Sometimes the engineers will be unaware of the policy in place and refuse a repair on grounds of damage as opposed to breakdown. Daft!

You didn't happen to launch the vacuum cleaner at the screen by any chance?!!

Surely "whatever happens" should mean just that, and it should be covered regardless, otherwise the policy wouldn't be worth the paper it's written on.

Is there a link to the restrictions? If not, can you provide a scan? Also, why exactly are they saying it is not covered?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

There will obviously be limits - the title is just advertising 'puff' (like Carling being "the best lager in the world"). The cover certainly would not replace an item where it has been deliberately damaged by the owner.

• 1 month later...

They did it also to my colleague at the Currys where we work, he dropped his laptop and broke the DVD drive they sent out a letter saying that the damage was incosnsistent with what was recorded at the time

The laptop also came back more damaged than when it went and knowing what ****s they ould be we took dated of the damage pictures before it went.

They've now summoned him to court if he wants to challenge the decision and the manager of the store has volunteered to be a carachter witness rather than acting on behalf of the store

Now consider that he works at Currys and is expected to sell this on every major electrical product is just abysmal treatment. What i'd recommend you do is try and get the manager on your side, these things are decided at the top as the people who make the decision know they will never get the stick. The manager has very little power to stop it yet a manager refusing to back a court case will have massive impact on your case.

If not hopefuly common sense should prevail

I would contact Trading Standards. They do not normally get involved in such matters, but with certain retailers (who have consistently flouted the law) "special treatment" is given - a TSO should get involved as these lot (can't remember if curries are involved) have signed up to a code of conduct agreement.

also ask for the original description sent to the engineers.

make sure when you called whatever happens that they wrote down a proper description of events.

some call centres listen to customers say it dropped off the shelf and fell screen first onto a sharp corner of a vacuum handle. which would leave a circular effect impact crack from a central point.

but if the call centre just wrote down "it dropped" then the engineers would be looking for a few scuffs on the side of the tv frame beleiving that it fell flat on a floor so there would be no impact crack from a centralised point. maybe a shatter crack but not an impact crack

if the call centre wrote that it impacted an object then great use that to help you.

if not then you have to argue that the call centre not write down the correct description.

its better to go to court with too much information knowing the call centre is to blame and having a response when asked about the evidence that there are no notes to say there was an impact with object as it fell. then to not be wiser and realise it was the call centre not writing notes and not the engineers lying.

Hi...when I worked for the DSG firm (Curry's, PC World & Dixon's stores) it was called MasterCare Cover Plan and it did cover accidental damage and policies could be 3, 4 or 5 years. I know they changed the policy shortly after I left due to it being miss-sold by badly trained staff (unlike me who whent on a one week brain washing course on how to sell cover plan and then product trained for the next five years) now it seems they are just taking in staff and not training them! I can still go into a store now and know more then the staff, even though products have changed & moved on since I was last working for them!

I would recommend going into the store and talking to the store manager...after all an accident is an accident and if you have bought the cover they should honour that no questions ask. We had cover plan on our telly when it finally gave up the ghost they came and took it away, I got mum & dad a loan set in the meantime. Three weeks later I called up to find out what was happening as I knew for a fact it was probably just sitting on some work bench with nothing being done to it. I managed to get them to write it off and got my mum & dad their replacement vouchers. It does pay to be persistant...for me I am lucky as I can say I worked for the company (customer services and sales in the past) and know exactly what happens behind the scenes...lol.

I wish you luck and just remember be persistant and if that fails Trading Standards!

Crystal

There will obviously be limits - the title is just advertising 'puff' (like Carling being "the best lager in the world"). The cover certainly would not replace an item where it has been deliberately damaged by the owner.

I don't agree with that. First Carling say "Probably the best lager in the world"

Also you can't call something one thing and then have it mean something else. The name alone means there is no need for any T&C.

Whateverhappens means simply that, 'Whateverhappens", and this was a whatever situation.

With a title like 'whateverhappens', I can't even see the requirement to send details of how it happened, it's of no concern.

The only exception would, of course, have to be, as you say, deliberate damage, but how would they prove such a thing. If you pushed it off the table because you had some pixels gone and wanted a new one or if a kiddy pushed it off accidentaly.

I believe this is just typical insurance company attempting to get out of their responsibility as they so often do.

• 2 months later...
I don't agree with that. First Carling say "Probably the best lager in the world"

I believe this is just typical insurance company attempting to get out of their responsibility as they so often do.

Actually, that's Carlsberg.

I'm sure your last comment isn't the case. I'm sure it's an error of judgement on the part of the technician who assessed it.

As previous people have said, just ask them for a detailed explanation as to why they've come to this conclusion.

Likelihood is it will be overturned.

I'm sure the only reason they would have for rejected your claim is if there was clear evidence that it was deliberately damaged. If this wasn't the case and you have been truthful then I'm sure they'll come to the correct conclusion next time.

EDIT:

By the way, jc2K, don't get your hopes up for a refund or replacement. This would only be the case if your TV was not repairable or would be beyond economical repair. Looking over my Whateverhappens policy, it certainly doesn't give me the impression a refund or exchange would happen in the case of any breakdown; accidental or otherwise.

So far I've only ever experienced good service from whateverhappens when I've had breakdowns on my products.

A reassessment is the best course of action.

It may be best talking to the store manager. Depending on the store the can take it in and book it for repair for you. With the backing of a manager you should have more luck.

The policy does not cover cosmetic or deliberate damage/misuse, acts of god/severe weather conditions or theft. So if you "accidentally" crushed you iPod in a masonry vice, carve you initials into your TV screen, your laptop gets struck by lightning or it gets stolen or just has light marks on the casing (that doesn't affect the use of the product) - your buggered! Absolutely anything else your covered!

• 1 year later...

please read your coverplan/weh policy it clearly states that dsgi will not repair or replace a product that has been broken to mis-treatment. they tend to send letters out like this when the item has not been booked in with the correct fault. i.e the screen doesn't come on, when the engineer gets it the screen has been cracked. the engineer would send this back. it sounds as though you have damaged your tele, n now they won't do anything about it.

• 1 year later...

They are complete idiots do nt expect anything from them, the first time they took a month to fix my computer and returned it still broken, the second time (I should have really cancelled then!!) I brought my computer for data recovery and even though the hard drive was not broken, they managed to loose all the data. they are the most pathetic company I have ver dealt with so I can only advise anyone to get cover elsewhere!

i had an identical thing happen to me. grandson pulled lead and tv fell to the floor. They said it had gone to internal investigations and they said it could not happen as damage not consistent with tv falling onto "Henry" hoover. They returned the tv but i would not accept it off the lorry as i said it is your problem. i telephoned 01142 806051 and spoke to medics who passed my details to the investigaters and after threatenening them with court they sent me a voucher for new tv. you could ring comsumer direct and they will help 08454040506

• 6 months later...

Hi All

Taking 'Whatever Happens' warranty (also known as KnowHow repair and protect) was a mistake, I realized one year after I had been paying almost 7GBP for it every month. My four year old son was playing with his toys when he accidently threw one of his toy car on the plasma screen resulting in the glass screen break.

When I contacted the Whatever happens, they refused to even look at the television saying that 'you should have been supervising your son'. I thought whatever happens meant "whatever" I was shocked when the customer adviser transferred my call to his supervisor on my request and who replied the same.

I was very disappointed by the service, I contacted my home contents insurance who replaced my TV within 7 days.

Hence, a lesson well learnt "NEVER TAKE OUT THE WHATEVER HAPPENS" unless curry's provides it for free- I wont even take it for free as it took me hours of calling a national rate number number and wasting my time.

Be careful when the Curry's salesmen try to sell you Whatever happens warranty.

email the ceo and COMPLAIN

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

[email protected] - boss of the whole Dixons Group / Currys / PC World / Mastercare

Do us a favour Sam, I've asked many times if someone would scan and post the 'Whatever Happens' policy but for some reason everyone seems to want to keep it a secret.

If it was up here then we could pick it to bits and offer some more help.

How would supervision make a difference?

You are sitting on the floor, next to the child, going Brrrmmmm, brmmmm, brmmm, when he picks up a car, says "look mummy, my car can fly" and throws it.

Unless you have the ability to anticipate his actions you would be too late to prevent the flight of the car - and that is sitting inches away.

If there were multiple car dents, fine, the child should be supervised - but one dent merely means that putting straight jackets on our little darlings is frowned on by social services.

i would contact Consumer direct ( new name for trading standards) you may well have been mis-sold the insurance under supply of goods and services act 1982.If you feel you have a case you can take them to the small claims court, dont be put off by their legal department as i didnt and still won the csae. Small cliams court is actually a very simple process to do. You fill out the forms and p[ay £70 fee. If it does go to court you will also pay £110;00 b ut all this is refunded by the judge making them pay it back to you. All a small claims court is.......... one judge sat at a table with you and Curry's solicitor. You have your say, he has his say then the judge asks you questions. It is nothiong to be afraid of. Just a chat really with the judge more on your side than theirs ( normally)Hope this helps