• Tweets

• What's the reason for not wanting a smart meter? Personally I'm saving a pile on a tariff only available with one. Today electricity is 17.17p/kWh. If the meter is truly past its certification date the supplier is obliged to replace it. If you refuse to allow this then eventually they'll get warrant and do so by force. Certified life varies between models and generations, some only 10 or 15 years, some older types as long as 40 years or maybe even more. Your meter should have its certified start date marked somewhere so if you doubt the supplier you can look up the certified life and cross check.
    • No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

help please with Cabot

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6052 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been reading all of this with a great deal of interest. I am hoping to get some sound information and assitance if at all possible.

A little while ago sadly before I knew about CAG I was taken to Court by Cabot aka Kings Hill they got a CCJ and did not even ask for payments but went straight for a Charging Order I put in a defence but the judge gave them the CO.

Can I CCA these chaps? Is it worth it if I have defended the debt in Court? If there is no CCA then surely they cannot enforce can they?

The debt is made up of overdraft and credit card combined.

I do pay them monthly. Should I leave it or should I go for them?

I do pay them monthly. Should I leave it or should I go for them?

Um, have you actually read any of the Cabot thread? If not, please do so and you'll have your answer :D

Just hate every DCA out there

Thank You

I am pretty confident about the CCA so will send this off probably with a SAR also.

The part I cannot get to grips with is the fact that they have a CO and I have defended - do you feel I have admitted to the debt making me liable?

Thank You

I am pretty confident about the CCA so will send this off probably with a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) also.

The part I cannot get to grips with is the fact that they have a CO and I have defended - do you feel I have admitted to the debt making me liable?

You can always go for a 'set aside' - stating the fact that you was not aware of your rights etc etc etc ... Once of course you have CCA'd and SAR'd those lovely people at Cabot.

Just hate every DCA out there

So...

1 CCA them

2 SAR them

if they do not produce CCA gain a set aside on the grounds of no CCA and I did not know my rights at the time and new evidence has come to light that is that they have no CCA (if that is the case of course :) )

I suppose a second attck could be that if they do have the CCA which is dated about 1995/6 there are tons of charges on the account so I could get those looked at I figure

Not necessarily. If your account has been active within the past six years (which I suspect it must have if it has recently been sold off). then you can claim penalty charges. mis-sold ppi (if applicable) and if there is no proper agreement (and I don't mean the application form which they will fob you off with) in some circumstances it is possible to demand all of the interest ever paid back. Some are even claiming successfully beyond six years on this forum (you will have to search I don't have link).

Follow pmfc's instructions re SAR and CCA. However I would just check with the court as I think you can ask for disclosure as this is a live case under part 18 of the Civil Procedure Rules. Cabot and its coat of many companies will have to answer your questions if Judge rules and it may be a quicker way than the CCA and SAR but do that as well to show the court you have been taking action. Good luck and keep posting.

Many thanks for that I was under the assumption that the 6 year rule covered the time of the transaction - this opens up a whole can of worms for me then - I think they purchased this account towards the end of 2006 so I am gunning for them now. CCA and SAR off in the next day. The 'live' Court case is also of real interest - however to be safe if they do not have a CCA from 1996 ish then this is the best way forward to release the CO and the CCJ as they have enforced a debt they cannot legally show that they own. Am I on the right lines here? :cool:

This has two sides to it. Go after the OC for penalties etc. For that you will need all your statements. You will probably have to take them to court to get them to refund but do not worry it is uite a well trodden path on here now. Do not let them tell you it has been sold etc. They must refund this to you and not to Cabot.

Then go for Cabot. No CCA apply for a set aside on these grounds. See who else will drop by with more experience than me on the latter. But defo start getting your penalties back.

OK

I have just pulled out the paperwork for this case...

The CCJ and final charging order were obtained in Feb 2007 and May 2007 by Kings Hill Ltd -

Any ideas whether the CCJ and CO are legitimate because they did not use their correct company names

OK

A slight correction from the above but it should not matter I think?

Kings Hill (No1) Ltd obtained a CCJ on me in March 2006

They had the case tranferred locally in Jan 2007

In May 2007 they obtained a Final Charging Order in the Name of Kings Hill (No1) Ltd

I am reading original Court Documents...:o

Since then I have made payments to them but have now sent a CCA request.

I sincerely doubt they can conjure up a CCA from one of the big banks - the debts relate to 1995-1999 ish

The 6 year rule would be of interest aswell, I must admit I am confused here..the purchases relate to that period above but if the bank sold the debt then does the clock start ticking again and I can claim the charges...

I wouldn't read too much into getting it set aside on a minor technicality. Kings Hill now being Cabot UK, and all that. The CCA is the key. If there is no CCA, then there was never any enforcable debt in the first place. But it wouldn't hurt to mention the fact that the wrong company obtained the charging order.

Seahorse,

Any thoughts on the 6 year rule...the transactions go back to 95-99 ish is this still a possible claim others suggest that because the debt was sold then the clock starts again, I cannot get a steer on this point thanks

It's not a matter of it being sold I don't think, it's about when you last made payment or effectively ' acknowledged the debt'?. Have you, in the last 6 yrs either paid anything or responded to correspondence or answered telephone calls about this debt. If you have then the clock starts all over again. If not it's statute barred and tell them to go to hell. Unless of course there was a ccj in place on the debt and I think that changes things. Someone else might be able to confirm that.

I have made payments since CCJ and FCO....

Prior to that I had possibly spoken to other DCA's...think I made a few payments 3-4 years ago....so there could be a debate there

The more I think about this and through the help of CAG I will be gobsmacked if they turn up with a 10-12 year old CCA - fingers crossed on this (I am rarely that lucky)..

Yes, you're probably right, but don't forget you are dealing with Cabot. If they don't come up with the CCA, you can get the CCJ removed and if you have the bottle can go for the others before them and ask for your money back you paid them. Now wouldn't that be sweet ? :D

Yes, you're probably right, but don't forget you are dealing with Cabot. If they don't come up with the CCA, you can get the CCJ removed and if you have the bottle can go for the others before them and ask for your money back you paid them. Now wouldn't that be sweet ? :D

Hi Josh - am reading this thread with interest as I too have a CO on my house (not with Cabot!) and wasn't sure about going down the CCA/SAR route so will be following your thread to see how you get on:)

Good luck

Bo

OK

A slight correction from the above but it should not matter I think?

Kings Hill (No1) Ltd obtained a CCJ on me in March 2006

They had the case tranferred locally in Jan 2007

In May 2007 they obtained a Final Charging Order in the Name of Kings Hill (No1) Ltd

Now, the irony of this little fact, is your charging order was granted unlawfully. IIRC, Kings Hill No 1 changed its name on January 15th to Cabot Financial (Europe) ltd. Seahorse can confirm exactly whom.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Now, the irony of this little fact, is your charging order was granted unlawfully. IIRC, Kings Hill No 1 changed its name on January 15th to Cabot Financial (Europe) ltd. Seahorse can confirm exactly whom.

Kingshill (No.1) Ltd actually changed its name on 15th January 2007 to Cabot Financial (UK) Ltd which was sitting dormant within their 'group' previously.not (Europe) Ltd Tomterm8. They just swapped names. Same company number just swapped names. Now Kingshill No1 Ltd sits dormant. (Europe)Ltd only act as 'administrators'.

This is why we get annoyed, (UK) Ltd BUY the debts & register the default, but never ever contact the alleged debtor. They pass the data about accounts they bought from the bank to another company cabot Financial (Europe) Ltd who then do all the chasing, harassing and corresponding with us all. But,they can't do this under the Data Protection Act without your permission - its as if they sent it to someone else altogether. Just because it is within the same 'Group' doesn't make it right, Cabot have got away with it for so long because they hide under this 'Cabot Financial' and 'Cabot Group' personna and they do it without having obtained any proof the debt exists (ie: with sight if the original Credit Agreement first). That makes it even worse. They are going to get thrashed over these once we have the final 'i's' dotted and 't''s crossed.