Periodic Meter Changes (Electric)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6055 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I am currently supplied by Powergen for both gas and elec, but am worried that I have never had a periodic meter change (recert) for my leccy meter.

I know these are supposed to be certified every 5 years, but I have not yet had one yet. The meter is still one of the old dial ones and i also have an old metal cut out.

How can i go about getting the meter and cut out changed free of charge? I have spoken to powergen, but they say it is nothing to go with them??

I desperately want a new digital meter fitted as the current one is way to large and ugly, but i dont see why i should have to pay for it either!

Recerts are done approx every 10 years. It is possible to get the meter changed by claiming it is "buzzing", but would say the old adage ' If it ain't broke don't fix it'

The advice I give in relation to benefits should be viewed as general advice and not specific to your individual claim circumstances. I cannot give specific advice on your claim as I cannot access the claim.

If you find the advice useful please click on my scales.

You'd need to contact the meter operator in your area, it probably won't be Powergen but they should be able to tell you who it is. Be warned - if it's within it's certification period and you only want it changed for cosmetic purposes they WILL charge you!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

I am currently supplied by Powergen for both gas and elec, but am worried that I have never had a periodic meter change (recert) for my leccy meter.

I know these are supposed to be certified every 5 years, but I have not yet had one yet. The meter is still one of the old dial ones and i also have an old metal cut out.

You will find that a lot of the old mechanical meters have a life of up to 29 years. Each meter has a type ID on it. According to which type of meter it is, is when the recert will be done.

If you are elderly or disabled or both, then your supplier may change the meter if it is near it's recert year.

As for the cut-out. If it is a metal clad cut out, then your supplier should be informed. They are your supplier and they should arrange to have this changed on safety grounds.

I got fed up with them only providing me with digital meters that had to be replaced every 10 years, they then agreed to fit Mechanical ones with a 20 year certification. In case you wonder, I have 5 of them!