• Tweets

• I have received a PCN from Euro Car Parks for MFG - Esso Cobham - Gravesend. I was completely unaware that there was any such limit for parking and always considered this to be a service station. I stopped there to use the toilet, have a coffee and made a couple of work calls. I have read the previous topics on this location which suggest I can ignore this and ECP will not take legal action. The one possible complication is that the vehicle is leased by my employer so I do not want to involve them with the associated reminders and threatening letters. The PCN was first issued to the leasing company Arval who have notified ECP of the hiring company. I have attached a copy of the PCN Notice to Hirer with details removed as per instructions. What options do I have or should I just pay the PCN promptly at the reduced rate of £60? img20240424_23142631.pdf
    • What you have uploaded is a letter with daft empty threats from third-party paper tigers.  Just ignore it. What we need to see is the original invoice you received last October or November.
    • Thanks for posting the CPR contents. i do wish you hadn't blanked out the dates and times since at times they can be relevant . Can you please repost including times and dates. They say that they sent a copy of  the original  PCN that they sent to the Hirer  along with your hire agreement documents. Did you receive them and if so can you please upload the original PCN without erasing dates and times. If they did include  all the paperwork they said, then that PCN is pretty near compliant except for their error with the discount time. In the Act it isn't actually specified but to offer a discount for 14 days from the OFFENCE is a joke. the offence occurred probably a couple of months prior to you receiving your Notice to Hirer.  Also the words in parentheses n the Act have been missed off. Section 14 [5][c] (c)warn the hirer that if, after the period of 21 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice to hirer is given, the amount of unpaid parking charges referred to in the notice to keeper under paragraph 8(2)(f) or 9(2)(f) (as the case may be) has not been paid in full, the creditor will (if any applicable requirements are met) have the right to recover from the hirer so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Though it states "if any applicable ...." as opposed to "if all applicable......" in Section 8 or 9. Maybe the Site could explain what the difference between the two terms mean if there is a difference. Also on your claim form they keeper referring to you as the driver or the keeper.  You are the Hirer and only the Hirer is responsible for the charge EVEN IF THEY WEREN'T THE DRIVER. So they cannot pursue the driver and nowhere in the Hirer section of the Act is the hirer ever named as the keeper so NPC are pursuing the wrong person.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Unfair deposit deductions

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5984 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I need some advice, I have recently ended my 12 month tenancy agreement with my landlord. I gave him the required 1 months notice and at the end of it i left. However the time has come for him to return my deposit and as many have experienced life is not that simple.

He claims that we have left a mark on the kitchen worktop however i disagree the mark was already there when we moved in and overtime water has penetrated the wood on the worktop causing it to come apart on one particular edge. I feel this is normal wear and tear as the property hasn't been decorated for 5-10 yrs and is in need of some serious modernisation. Anyways that is one issue he is also saying that i have broke a light fitting; again i disagree as this was already broken when we moved in. However i don’t have any proof as i never took any pics. I do have an inventory list but the items he is claiming for are not listed like the kitchen worktop and the light bulb holder (the light still dos work so i didn't think anything of it when i moved in).

Now the interesting part....

In the contract i signed with the landlord i requested the carpets be changed as they smelt and attracted ants cockroaches etc etc. I also as a goodwill gesture said i will paint his house for free provided he changes the carpets (this part is not in the contract). The contract states the landlord will change the carpets within 6 weeks of it commencing. However i pursued him many times over this matter and he simply would say next week next week...and keep putting it off. So by me painting his house not only have i left it in a much better condition then we moved in but i think it has added value to his house. It is also much more cleaner as i tried to clean the carpet myself. to this date he hasn't replaced the carpet so he was in breach of contract then, i decided to let it go as i am a good person so i thought forget it.

But now he wants to hold some of my deposit for damage he is saying i have done. I feel this is totally unfair as the property has been left in a better state then it was. The property has been let out already 2 days after i moved out. So I don’t think he is doing any repairs anyways.

Although it is still early stages he has told me he will keep part of my deposit for the damage that he says i have done. I have told him i am not accepting responsibility for the damage as i feel it is just normal wear and tear.

Can someone please advise me if i have any rights as I have been an idiot and I haven’t kept receipts for cleaning products and evidence in terms of pics or something.

Thanks

Did you sign an inventory on moving in?

Was said mark noted on the inventory?

The reason for an inventory is to have something to compare when moving out. If there is no inventory then the landlord cannot make any deductions, however if there is check it to see what is says the condition of the items were when you moved in.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Hi yes i did sign an inventory, however none of the items that are listed above are in this list. and also the agent never gave me a chance to look at te items listed on the inventory to see if they check out.

Dos the agent have any ground when he says he wont give my deposit back untill he see all the bills are paid up-to-date; even though these are in my name and are between me and the utility providers and they are up-to-date so i dont have any worries there. The only downside is they take 10 days to send you out statements to prove you are up-to-date.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Read some of the stickies and make your own post explaining the situation and someone will pop along to help

edit: Welcome to CAG btw :)

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Thank you Blitz :)

I was a tenant in a flat for 6 months and just moved out last month. Unfortunately the tenancy does not come under the Tenancy deposit scheme as it is over £25,000 a year :(

After we moved out, the landlords send us a schedule of cost with invoices for work carried out (without informing us prior to this of any estimate for work carried out) we had not got the flat professionally cleaned, but as per the contract we were entitled to ''pay'' for this. They are professional landlords having many properties. In the schedule of cost they charged us £480 for repainting, £300 for assembling and taking out old furniture, £255 for prof. cleaning (small 1.5 bedroom flat). they claim that since the flat was newly renovated when we moved in, none of it was wear and tear and we had to replace the TV table, coffee table (there were some slight chips to these). thus, they are withholding 50% of our deposit (almost £1500). can they do this? i also suspect that the invoices are from people they know ( contractors etc. as their company deals with the same things like refurbishing) as the money on the invpoices is not broken up into the different work carried out. when i wrote to them disputing the work carried out, they wrote back saying that every item on inventory was ''soiled'' and the deductions are valid.

there is a check in and check out inventory however i never ''signed'' any of them.

Also according to the agreement, it is the agent who is supposed to keep the deposit, but when i questioned him he said that he does not have it. The agent though was on my side and i wrote him a letter saying he was responsible for the deposit and that i wanted my deposit which was not under dispute returned to me. he obviously told the landlords because today they wrote to me saying that while they were awaiting my response for their email (where they do not agree to my point of view regarding the repairs and deposit which was cut) they will send via registered post a cheque covering the rest of the deposit minus the repairs, painting etc. I need to know:

1) if I can still take them to court for the disputed part of the deposit if they return that part of the deposit which is not under dispute.

2) were they not supposed to give me an estimate for the repairs etc. and consult with me before going ahead with it.

3) when one moves into a new flat to live for 6 months, does one have to replace everything ''like to like'', i.e. new for new?

Please advice how i should proceed in this case. Since the deposit is considerable, i do not think it is correct for him to re decorate his premises at my cost and cut from my hard earned money.

Thanking you...:)

I am sad not to have received any response to my post yet :(

Maybe you would get a better response if you started your own thread.

On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Read anything I write with the above in mind.