Direct Debit No Payment Charges...Confused??

Jugo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6082 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I've just yet again been robbed of £38 on my account today for no payment for a direct debit, so fed up with all this I decided to search for something to help me get it back, when I came across this wonderful forum, I'd never previously heard of the consumer action group.

So basically back to the direct debit, I was supposed to be charged on 20/08/07. So I went in today to deposit money into my account which I only use for my mobile phone bill, so had pretty much nothing in it, and found that they had already charged this to my account thus inducing the no payment fee. Many phone calls to my network provider (Orange) and the 2 visits to the bank later, apparently saturday and sunday and monday is all one day?! So the "nice" lady at the desk explained how it was not natwest's fault. Looking briefly through this forum I understand most people are claiming thousands of pounds back, as opposed to a simple direct debit no payment fee. I have also had no payment fees in the past 2 years including 2 £38 fees in the same week for something which was only £8! All of this may add up to around £200. I seem to have gone on there for abit, but I would like to know if theres any chance of getting any of this back, and if so, how?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

hi jugo,

just use the templates on this site and keep to the timescale with the letters , keep copies of every correspondance and send the letters recorded delivery.

you will get your money back in the end.

You will get your money back but, in terms of principle, I am in totaly agreement with you. I could stomach the argument that charges for a cheque or debit card transaction which takes an account overdrawn should result in some charge (not the current level but there would have to be some leeway for risk) because there the organisation is exposed to a risk. It must honour the transaction and takes a risk when it does this.

When it comes to non Dd payment (which seems the most common to me) the banks are haivng alaugh. How dare they charge £38 for NOT doing a transaction?

The customer has consented to the transaction but what is the loss to the organisation? Also I recall seeing a thred on here where somebody had been charged by the bank and by the company concerned. As far as I recall there was no reply to his letter asking how one bounced Dd could cost in the region of £60.

This is a scandle which must end. And this while the financial services industry is constanly bleating on about too much regulation... Hmmm

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

Well i sent the first form off, requesting the statements over the past 2 years now as of 20/08...and will follow up with a call in the next week, now its the waiting game..

Originally i sent a complaint online before i found this forum, and they've now said they will refund the £38, from last time as a "gesture of goodwill" (although it's my money anyway) and in future I will have to pay direct debit charges in full. But I'm still going to go ahead and get the previous ones back!

Hi jugo, welcome on board!

Ask them for statements going back as far as possible (although you may not have had the account for long?) Once they arrive, post back and we'll advise you further.

In the meantime, click on the link for Nat West Claimants in my signature to give you an overview of reclaiming charges from Nat West Bank.

Best of luck :)

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.