• Tweets

• Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
    • Even on their map on their website, these parking rules encompass the whole pleasure park - there is no dedicated area for permits and another for free parking as stated. royal leisure park praking area map.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Abbey's new "no breach" defence

GaryH
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4595 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If the claim has been stayed then the only thing you can do is apply to have it lifted.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/cases-stayed-pending-oft/108430-stays-info-guidance.html

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ABBEY DEFENCE

1. In this defence

1.1 References to paragraph numbers are, save where otherwise indicated references to paragraph numbers of the particular of claim.

1.2 The defendants account conditions (a copy of which is annexed herto as annex A) will be referred to as “the conditions”

1.3 References to an “unauthorised” overdraft are to an overdraft permitted by the defendant without prior application and arrangement under clause 6.1 of the conditions

2 It is admitted that the claimant held the following account with the defendant, account number to be particularised (“The Account”). It is admitted and averred that the contractual provisions between the claimant and they defendant in relation to the account are set out in the conditions.

3 It is denied that those charges payable and that rate of interest applicable upon a customer going into unauthorised overdraft or exceeding an authorised overdraft constitute a penalty at common law. It is denied that those charges and that interest are payable on a breech of contract.

4 The true position is as follows:

4.1 Each and every payment instruction presented by or on behalf of the claimant to the defendant which would, if honoured, take the Account into unauthorised overdraft or beyond an authorised overdraft, constituted a request (in law, an offer) by the claimant to the defendant for a loan of the requisite amount on the terms set out in the conditions (alternatively on the defendants usual terms as to such overdrafts as at the date of the payment instruction in question)

4.2 The defendant was free to accept or reject each such request.

4.3 If the defendant honoured the payment instruction in question, the defendant thereby accepted the claimants offer.

4.4 Accordingly, the claimant became bound to pay interest and charges in relation to that loan at the stipulated rate.

4.5 That liability does not, at common law, constitute a penalty.

5 It is denied (if it be alleged) that, on proper construction, clause 6.3 of the conditions provides that a customer going into unauthorised overdraft or exceeding overdraft constitutes a breech of contract (for which the customer is liable to pay damages). It is averred that clause 6.3 of the Conditions operates as a trigger to bring into effect certain other provisions of the conditions.

6 It is denied that those charges payable upon the defendants dishonouring a payment instruction presented by the claimant by reason of the state of the account (namely that had the defendant honoured the instruction in questions, it would have taken the account into unauthorised overdraft or beyond an authorised overdraft) constitute a penalty at common law. Such charges are not payable on a breech of contract. They are, by clause 6.4 of the conditions a fee.

7 The defendant understands the claimants allegation to be that the fees payable in respect of an unauthorised overdraft and an overdraft in excess of an authorised overdraft and fees in respect of the dishonouring of payment instructions are not binding on the claimant by reason of regulation 8(1) of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999 (the 1999 regulations)

8 Regulation 6(2) of the 1999 regulations provides that:

“in so far as it is in plain intelligible language, the assessment of fairness of a term shall not relate –

(a) to the definition of the main subject matter of the contract, or

(b) to the adequacy of the price or remuneration, as against the goods or services supplied in exchange”

9 The fees and interest payable in respect of an unauthorised overdraft and an overdraft in excess of an authorised overdraft and fees in respect of the dishonouring of payment instruction are: (i) set out in plain intelligible language in the conditions and (ii) amount to the “price or remuneration” in respect of that provision of such overdraft or such dishonouring.

10 Accordingly, by regulation 6(2) of the 199 Regulations, the provisions of the Conditions as to the fees and interest payable in respect of an unauthorised overdraft and fees in respect of the dishonouring of payment instructions are not payable on a breech of contract by the claimant.

11 It is denied that paragraph 1(e) of Schedule 2 to the 1999 Regulations is applicable. As pleaded above, the fees and interest payable in respect of an unauthorised overdraft and an overdraft in excess of an authorised overdraft and fees in respect of the dishonouring of payment instructions are not payable on a breech of contract by the claimant.

12 Alternatively, if (contrary to the defendant’s primary case pleaded above) provisions of the conditions as to the fees and interest payable in respect of unauthorised overdraft and an overdraft in excess of authorised overdraft and fees in fees in respect of the dishonouring of payment instructions fall to be assessed for fairness under of the 1999 regulations, the defendant’s case is as follows:

(a) Regulation 5(1) pf the 1999 Regulations provides that:

“a contractual term which has not been individually negotiated shall be regarded as unfair if, contrary to the requirement of good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in the parties’ right and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment of the consumer”

(b) Regulation 6(1) of the 1999 Regulations provides (so far as presently relevant) that:

“….the unfairness of a contractual term shall be assessed, taking into account the nature of the goods or services for which the contract was concluded and by referring, at the time of conclusion of the contract, to all the circumstances attending the conclusion of the contract and to all the other terms of the contract…”

© It is denied that the Conditions breech that provision of the 1999 regulations. In particular (i) the Defendant’s charges and interest rates are published and provided to its customers from time to time and are expressed in clear language; (ii) the incurring of charges and interest in respect of an unauthorised overdraft and an overdraft beyond that agreed and fees in respect of the dishonouring of payment instruction is

A result of the claimant’s actions and (iii) the defendant’s charges and interest rates are not, in the circumstances, excessive in relation to the value of the services provided in relation thereto.

(d) The defendant reserves the right to plead further in this regard on the provision of full and proper particulars of the basis on which the claimant contends that the conditions contravene regulation 5(1) of the 1999 Regulations.

13 Section 15(1) of the 1982 Act provides that:

“Where, under a contract for the supply of a service, the consideration for the service is not determined by the contract, left to be determined in a manner agreed by the contract, or determined by the course of dealing between the parties, there is an implied term that the party contracting with the supplier will pay a reasonable charge”.

14 By section 12(1)n of the 1982 Act, “contract for the supply of a service” is defined as “a contract under which a person…..agrees to carry out a service”

15 Save as expressly pleased to above, each and every allegation contained in the particulars of Claim is denied as if the same were individually traversed.

The defendant believes that the facts stated in this defence are true.

I am duly authorised by the defendant to sign this statement

Vivian Roux

Paralegal

10 August 2007

This is the PoC i used

The Claimant holds acc no XXXXXXX with Defendant. From Dec 2002 to March 2005. Defendant debited charges iro of purported breaches of contract. Defendant has been supplied with list of charges and interest.

Claimant contends: a-The charges exceed the Defendant's losses caused by such breaches; b-The Term permitting the Defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable under Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and at Common Law. c-If charges are a fee for a service, then they must be reasonable under

S.15 of Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. Section 32(b). Claimant claims: a- Return of amounts debited of £996; b- Interest of 28.7% - £3948.28 as per Defendant's rate of interest; c-Interest under sec 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% up to the date of judgment

or earlier payment at a daily rate of £1.09 All default notices to be removed. Costs allowed by theCourt.

Hi Gary, unable to work my scanner, so I will write abbeys defence down for you word for word and I hope it will help. If you would like a copy I can scan one and send it to you at the end of the week. Kev.

IN THE BRIDGEND COUNTY COURT Claim No: 7BG 00981

BETWEEN

xxxxxxxxxxxxx Claimant

And

ABBEY NATIONAL PLC Defendant

DEFENCE

• Save as is specifically admitted in this defence, the defendant denies each and every allegation set out in the particulars of claim.
  • it is admitted that the claimant has a bank account with the defendant, account number to be particularised (”account “)
  • at all times the account has been subject to the applicable terms and conditions (“ conditions “), which form part of the contract between the claimant and the defendant and t which the claimant agreed when he opened the account. The defendant will refer to the following extracts:

(1) “You can apply for an overdraft on your account. If we give you an overdraft we will tell you your limits and the interest rate applicable.”

(2) “An unauthorised overdraft occurs if without or agreement you overdraw your account or exceed the limit of an overdraft which we have agreed.”

(3) “If you have an unauthorised overdraft, you will be charged fees as set out in our tariff of charges or specified to you and these may include fees for transactions we are unable to process due to lack of funds in your account.”

• Throughout the period that he has had the account, the claimant received a number of copies of the conditions and of the said tariff of charges as they were amended and updated (though there has been no material amendment t the conditions extracted in paragraphs 3(1), (2) and (3) above).
  • Any overdraft facility on the account was (and is) subject to the conditions .
  • The claimant has overdrawn or exceeded authorised limits on the account on a number of separate occasions, full details of which will be provided on disclosure. Therefore by virtue of the conditions referred to in paragraph 3 above such overdrawing was unauthorised and in breach of contact and the claimant become liable to pay fees to the defendant in accordance with its tariff of charges applicable at the relevant time. In accordance with the conditions, such fees were debited to the account.
  • In view of the fact and matters referred to in paragraph 3,4,5 and 6 above, the defendant denies that the amount of £xxxx.xx or any other, amount was unlawfully debited to the account and the claimants claim for the repayment is therefore denied.
  • The claimant’s contention that the said fees are unenforceable and/or are “ penalty charges “ is denied. The fees reflect and are proportionate to the defendants administrative expenses incurred due to the claimant breach of contract and are a genuine pre- estimate of the damage suffered by the defendant.
  • Further or in the alternative, even if the said fees are not proportionate to the defendants administrative incurred (which is denied) the claimant remains liable to pay such fees as may be found to be proportionate and the claimant is not entitled to claim repayment of the full amount of each charge made to to account.
  • The defendant denies that the claimant is entitled to claim interest of any amount.
  • No admissions are made as to the amounts claimed by the claimant and the claimant is put to strict proof of the same.

The defendant believes that the facts stated in this defence are true.

I am duly authorised by the defendant to sign this statement.

Full name: Vivian Roux

of Abbey National pic

Signed position or office held: Paralegal

Date 31 July 2007

I also received the new defence on 3 August, I typed it all out word for word in my thread here, post #28.

Encouraged by the idea of applying to have the defence struck out, but do I need a copy of the Terms and conditions from when I opened the account though? Account opened 1 September 2001, and they are not in the archive.

Can't seem to find any T&C's on Abbeys web site at all, let alone old ones. I have asked in the branch, they took my account number and promised to send them, but still no luck. Can I just state the spefic clauses referred to in post one without actually including a copy?

I alsoi have the new T&C's, accompanying letter is dated 24 July, but I actually received it 9 August. Do you still need a copy?

Redrob,

You need to include the T&C's but they were identical from around 1999 - 2007, so just one copy of the terms from anytime during the period in which the charges were levied is fine.

Here -

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/91707-archives-abbeys-web-pages.html

I have the new T&C's now, but thanks.:)

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Yes please, we want all the T&C's we can lay our hands on - although to be honest Abbey is not quite so important now. We have a fairly comprehensive selection of theirs and they stayed the same for years.

I have T&C from December 2001.

Can't scan them to pdf cos haven't a clue how but I can scan and email them to anyone who sends me their email address.

Any tech minded person want to PM me on how to do pdf I'll gladly have a go, but as computers and I are only on nodding terms most of the time I would need details instructions on how to do it. :o

I received their new defence dated the 11th Aug , mine only has 12 sections, i still have a copy of their prev defence in April so will be including that as well, i've closed my acc so won't be getting a copy of their new T&Cs.

thanks GaryH...for the reply...unfortunately I just recieved notice that the defence is stayed pending judgement in the OFT test case....

spose now I have to decide whether to apply for the stay to be set aside...

does anyone think i would be successful if I was to apply for this?

Hello,

I know I'm getting a little side tracked here...but I've just recieved a copy there new defence. I'm intrigued by section 4.2 The defendent was free to accept or reject each request. i.e the request that would take me into overdrawn.

Have I got the arguement here... in the fact they enforced charges on me..forcibly taking them from my account refusing point blank my offer of tryng to negotiate a payment plan. Therefore putting me in to a continuous cycle of more charges each month and unable to pay my other bills!!! WHich went on for several months.

AX

Hi,

Just received the new defence this morning (word for word the same as yourturntopay's) No mention of a stay yet (apart from the standard letter from Abbey telling me they will be appplying) although according to Icy's thread my local court are definitely staying ALL cases.

If i go for an application for defence to be struck out, is it better to opt for hearing or not? I'm a bit nattered as I submitted N1 just before new POC's were composed so used a variation of the old, shorter ones although i did file in person not with MCOL.

Thanks in advance

Ellie

Try for it without a hearing if you like, although its likely you'll be called to one anyway.

Today I received two letters from Abbey. One was the new 'service charge' defence with what appears to be the more common 15 para defence. Statement of truth signed by 'Vivian Roux' Paralegal.

The other letter was what appears to be a standard letter about the general situation with the OFT case along with a FOS consumer fact sheet.

I am going to ring the court today to see if this case is being stayed or not.

I have a couple of questions...

1. I have read elsewhere that CPR Part 18 requests are not valid in relation to the new 'service charge' defence. Why ?

2. My claim (which I'm doing on behalf of my Mum) relates only to the period 2001-present. My Mum is unsure when the account was 1st opens, but it well before 2001. Do I need to know so I can include a copy of the original T&C's from then, or will T&C's for the time-frame in question suffice ? i.e 2001-on.

Many thanks

Harryfour

I received a new defence from Abbey this morning. How do i respond to it - the claim was field via MCOL

1 On 27 July 2007 a test case was issued in the high court between the OFT and a number of banks (Namely Abbey Nationals, Barclays Bankplc, Clydesdale Bank plc, HBOS plc, HSBC Bank plc, LLoyds TSB bank plc, Nationwide Building Society, and the Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc (which owns National Westmister Bank plc and The Royal Bank of Scotland plc) in relation to the recovery by personal current account customers of charges paid by them to the banks in circumstances where they seek to make payements for which they have no available funds, commonly known as unarranged overdraft charges.

2 Pursuant to the Order of District Judge Murdoch dated 13th August 2007, the defendant request that this claim is stayed until further Order pending the final decision in the test case.

3 The defendant intends to defend this claim and we will file a full defence within 28 days of the stay of proceedings expiring.

4 In the meantime, it is denied that the claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief whetrher as pleaded or at all.

I'm seriously considering applying for Abbey's defence to be struck out as suggested in the fist post, but you say...

If you are going to use this application, you do so at your own risk.

Other than the fee, what do I stand to lose? Whats the potential downside?

Same as any template really - you'll always see a disclaimer somewhere or other on nearly everything on this site, or in peoples sigs. An application to strike out a defence is obviously an aggressive strategy, hence the disclaimer.

That said, I firmly believe its the right course of action to take, or else I would never have posted it, and incidently, I'm printing off the same application for my claim as we speak!

If the claim is small claims track then I cannot foresee any risk other than possibly losing the fee. If its above 5k and likely to go fast track then if you were unsuccessful you could end up paying the other sides costs.

Good, thats pretty much what I expected, just wanted to be sure. I've now managed to get some old T&C's, not quite from when I opened the account but they'll do, so I'll get this done and in the post Tuesday.

Just have to make sure I don't get my hopes up too much. It seems to me like a very good argument, and the defence seems to bear no relevance to the T&C's the account is operated under, even now as the new T&C's havent come into effect yet.

Preferably, yes. I have a copy, but its somebody elses with a name and claim number on the front so I'll have to get permission before I pass it on. In the meantime see if anyone else on the forum has a copy they can send you.

hi,

i'm slightly confused at the moment feel like my head is going to explode!!!!

i recieved a copy of abbeys new defence dated 6th aug statement of truth is signed by willem basson (paralegal).

i have just submitted my AQ on friday now waiting to find out what the court is going to do. Dont know whether to applie to get there defence stuck off. My claim is well over 5K and dont think i could risk having to pay there fee's also do i still email my CPR 18 or not.

Any help is much appreciated

thanks

claire

I don't think I could advise you with total confidence to apply to strike out if your claim is fast track material as in the event you were unsuccessful you'd be looking at costs. Its a small risk, IMHO, as I think - a) Abbey would not defend (they'd probably settle instead), b) that even if they did the application would still be successful - but their is still a risk.

No - a part 18 as per the other sticky thread is not valid if you have the new defence, as it relates specifically to the old one. The new defence does not admit a breach and contend the charges are a reasonable pre-estimate, as the old one did. This is presumably why they changed the defence, so as to avoid the glaringly obvious need for disclosure of information relating to the "administrative expenses" their charges were *allegedly* proportionate to.

I'll draft another part 18 relevant to the new defence, and there is also something else you can do to harrass them. Watch this space.;)