Rules on Statute Barred in Scotland.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6093 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello. First post here.

I have an old debt, which I estimate at being over 8yrs old from an old BOS Credit card (nearly £2k), and have just recently got a letter from 1st credit about the debt. Before I knew about the Scottish statute barred rule I started payments to this debt.

The question is.. The law in Scotland states, after 5 yrs the debt doesn't exist anymore, so have I restarted the time clock by making a payment AFTER the 5yrs? I know the english law is different, but can't find any information about this scenario.

Thanks

As previously stated once the debt has become statute barred after 5 years the debt can not be unstatute barred. The statute in Scotland that relates to this is The Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973 Part 1 Section 6. This section of the Act states:

"If after an appropriate date, an obligation (an appropriate debt) has subsided for a continuous period of 5 years:

(a) without any relevant claim having been made in relation to the obligation, and

(b) without the subsistence of the obligation having been relevantly acknowledged;

then as from the expiration of that period the obligation will be extinguished..."

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

In writing. Everything must be in writing - phone calls can be denied.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

It is also a good idea to send letters by recorded delivery. That way you have proof of delivery.

Oh and one other thing... I've kind of took this for granted, I live in Scotland and got the credit card with the Bank of Scotland, so it's Scottish law I should be following?

Yes.