EU Debts.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6096 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello. My daughter lives in Greece. She is very unhappy. She wants to come back to England, but her boyfriend has some credit card debts. She doesn't want to leave him. He will never pay them off from what I can make out. Could he be traced to England if he came over here? He owes about 10,000 euros. It is important that he has a clear credit record, as if she marries him I believe she will be linked to him. He isn't from England originally and has never been here before. He is from Portugal and was just working in Greece for a few years.

If anyone has any general ideas I would appreciate hearing them, even if they are not sure about this issue. I just want to give my daughter the best information I can. I am not advising her boyfriend at all on this matter.

its difficult to chase debt from abroad and the credit regulations differ over their they would also have to prove the debt here ,unless its a visa card then if he re applys for a card in the uk then they can trace him .but it is a hard one to predict and she certainly does not want a joint account

Actually it will soon be relatively easy to chase debt from within the EU by using The European Order For Payment (for uncontested debts) and the European Small Claims Procedure (for contested debts). I believe these come into force next year.

As Gizmo says she will only be linked if they have joint accounts.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

hi debtmountain i don't think your daughter will be liable for this debt as first she is not married to him and second if the debt is on the name of her boyfriend then she is nor liable for it. her boyfriend can be traced off but it will be very difficult for them to do that and also very expensive.

if she married him she might be linked , althought i doubt very much as she will be living in UK, but she won't be have to pay for it as she won't be contractually bound to its agreement. the agreement was made by her boyfriend only and not by her. so rest assured.

i hope this help i doubt very mich a DCA will go to a great lenght as to pursue adebt in a foreign country where law are so different and not applicable . i hope this help.