Request For Advice

Invisibabe

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5147 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

I have three accounts with Nationwide here in Edinburgh. I recently, and stupidly, withdrew some money from one of the accounts and subsequently there wasn't enough money left in THAT account to cover a direct debit.

The first I heard about it was yesterday when I received my statement. Not only had I been charged £30 for that missed DD but the company then tried to put it through again a few days later. Obviously as I was oblivioud to the problem there still wasn't enough money in that account for it to go through and I was stung with a second £30 charge.

Obviously £60 isn't as much as the hundreds of pounds worth of charges some of you are facing but I'm still not too chuffed about it. I admit it was totally my mistake and had it been £10 I'd accept it but £60 is taking the p*ss as far as I'm concerned.

Is it worth going down the route of trying to get this back or is it too low an amount to worry about? What do you guys think? :)

Hi,

If this is the first time this has happened you can try to discuss this with a member of staff or the manager at your local branch. If they are good people working there they will usually give you the benefit of the doubt and request the charges be dropped or refunded for a first offence.

Worth a try at least for £60 ;)

alwayspoor

I want my money back :D

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent 27/10/07

List of Charges Received 11/11/2007

Prelim Request for Repayment Sent 27/11/07

Received Carbon Copy Reply 01/12/07

Can't wait for my lease to end :-x

I was roundabout the middle of my claim against Nationwide for charges and they hit me with 80.00 worth of charges one week that I seriously couldnt afford. It was leaving me short for paying my sons nursery fees. So I called the branch who said they dont have authorisation to refund charges and was given head offices number. The woman I spoke to went and talked to the manager and said that they agreed to CANCEL one of the charges, but for reasons I couldnt make sense of (I think thats what she was aiming for - confusion) they couldnt touch the rest of them.

So what happened was, they cancelled one charge that was due to come off next month of 30.00, same amount as one of the charges that made up the 80.00. Not exactly a refund, but they still accommodated to a certain extent.

While I was pursuing Nationwide I asked my grampa if he had ever had any charges and he said no, because he went down to his bank and kicked up hell anytime they tried it. So it may be worth having a go calling them. Going into Nationwide wouldnt get much joy I think as they told me that Head Office has to make the decision to refund charges. Whether this is true or not I dont know, but the best way would seem to be calling your branch and asking for the number. Unfortunately I dont have it anymore.

Failing that, you could just start a claim against them, although it may not progress too quickly with the OFT test case. They may relent though due to it being a small amount.

If you dont ask you dont get!

Good luck.

Addition: If the money take from your account is benefit money, you could start a case based on this, there is a thread pursuing charges on this basis and seems to be irrelevant to the test case, due to the issue not being that the charges are unlawful, but that the money is for living expenses and therefore hardship will ensue if the claimant doesnt have access to this money. Theres also a law that states the bank should not touch this money.

Heres the thread with reference to the benefits situation:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/108952-claim-charges-taken-benefits.html