• Tweets

• I have received a PCN from Euro Car Parks for MFG - Esso Cobham - Gravesend. I was completely unaware that there was any such limit for parking and always considered this to be a service station. I stopped there to use the toilet, have a coffee and made a couple of work calls. I have read the previous topics on this location which suggest I can ignore this and ECP will not take legal action. The one possible complication is that the vehicle is leased by my employer so I do not want to involve them with the associated reminders and threatening letters. The PCN was first issued to the leasing company Arval who have notified ECP of the hiring company. I have attached a copy of the PCN Notice to Hirer with details removed as per instructions. What options do I have or should I just pay the PCN promptly at the reduced rate of £60? img20240424_23142631.pdf
    • What you have uploaded is a letter with daft empty threats from third-party paper tigers.  Just ignore it. What we need to see is the original invoice you received last October or November.
    • Thanks for posting the CPR contents. i do wish you hadn't blanked out the dates and times since at times they can be relevant . Can you please repost including times and dates. They say that they sent a copy of  the original  PCN that they sent to the Hirer  along with your hire agreement documents. Did you receive them and if so can you please upload the original PCN without erasing dates and times. If they did include  all the paperwork they said, then that PCN is pretty near compliant except for their error with the discount time. In the Act it isn't actually specified but to offer a discount for 14 days from the OFFENCE is a joke. the offence occurred probably a couple of months prior to you receiving your Notice to Hirer.  Also the words in parentheses n the Act have been missed off. Section 14 [5][c] (c)warn the hirer that if, after the period of 21 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice to hirer is given, the amount of unpaid parking charges referred to in the notice to keeper under paragraph 8(2)(f) or 9(2)(f) (as the case may be) has not been paid in full, the creditor will (if any applicable requirements are met) have the right to recover from the hirer so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Though it states "if any applicable ...." as opposed to "if all applicable......" in Section 8 or 9. Maybe the Site could explain what the difference between the two terms mean if there is a difference. Also on your claim form they keeper referring to you as the driver or the keeper.  You are the Hirer and only the Hirer is responsible for the charge EVEN IF THEY WEREN'T THE DRIVER. So they cannot pursue the driver and nowhere in the Hirer section of the Act is the hirer ever named as the keeper so NPC are pursuing the wrong person.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Landlord nightmare!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6288 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks, this happened sometime ago ( over a year ) but is still ongoing. We had spotted a house to let and went to check it out. We viewed it and liked it although there was some work being done on the place. We agreed as long as the work was complete by the move in date we would have it and we paid a deposit of one months rent and also ( stupidly ) 2 months rent up front. When the time to move in came I went upa day early to check and the palce was still not complete although the landlord was happy it was it was obvious loads of stuff was half done. We told him we did not want to move in and that we wanted our money back. Although he had not completed the work we told him he could keep the deposit due to short notice but that ew wanted the 2 months rent that we paid up front back again. He refused to pay us a penny.

This happened sometime ago and we have gone through the courts and we have judgement in our favour but we still cant get any money of him. He knows the scoreand has prob been in trouble before. We have an attachment of earnings order out against him but they wont file it under his own property address as he does not reside there( the palce we were going to let ). The place he lives ( or used to live ) was his partners house and shes telling the bailiffs that he does not live there anymore ( probably untrue but a possibility ). There is no point getting a warrant of execution either as he can probably say all his valuables belong to his partner.

The bailiffs were helpful and told me I need to dosome 'detective' work on him and get some photo's of what he looks like, and try and place him at an address. Does anyone have any experience of this or any idea's on getting this evil man to pay up ! It was close to £2000!

K

If he has any money then a statutory demand will probably result in him giving you what you owe. Not even sheisters like him will want to be made bankrupt. Get some legal advice about serving a statutory demand based on the judgment you have.

:)

Hi, thanks so much for your reply. I have never heard of a statutory demand before, could you elaborate ? What is it? can I do one? Where do I go to issue it ? The courts have not made me aware of this course of action either.

K

Hi all!

khronus,in my view:

1.Find out about the ownership of the property that you were planning to rent out and if it is his, register a "caution"/charge on the property.

2.As as long as you have the judgement in your favour,this is the cheapest and in my view the most effective way of seeing that he pays you.This judgement document must be presented to HM Land Registry Office in order to do this for you.

3.He will not be able to sell the property or borrow against it without seeing that you are paid.

4.Making him bankrupt would be more expensive.

5.As long as "The Proprietorship" is in his name this is the best way forward.

6.He has a right to be notified and hopefully at that stage he will pay.

Anyway,I hope you find this information useful.

If you need any more help,just ask.

Keep us posted.

All the best!

You can't just send a county court judgment to the land registry and ask them to enter a notice or restriction against the property. (cautions were scrapped quite some time ago). The reason is that you have to demonstrate to the LR that you have an interest in the land and this is not achieved by virtue of a simple CCJ.

If you want to charge his property then get copies of the land register for the property in question (you can do so on the land Registry online site). Then if he is the registered proprietor you will have to make a further application to the court for a charging order. Only after that has been granted by the court can you register the charge against the land because the court order gives you the interest in the land that you need to have to have the debt attach to property.

If he is a joint proprietor of the property then any charging order will be of very limited effect. Any charging order in those circumstances is only against his beneficial equitable ownership and not the legal title and the land registry can only enter a limited type of restriction against his share of the land and which only permits you to be informed if the property has been sold - not much use to you. If he is the sole proprietor then a charging order will be against the legal title of the land and he will have to pay it off if he sells in order to give a clean title to the purchaser.

Be aware that you can get a charging order over a few different types of property - land, shares, etc and of course it can be any property that he owns, not just the property you rented. Whats his address for service on the tenancy agreement? That might be his home - you could charge against that if you wished.

I suggested serving a statutory demand, not making him bankrupt. The SD is the first step in bankruptcy. It is a 4 page A4 document that can be completed in 10 minutes. It is served personally on the debtor but can only be used if the debt is not disputed and is unsecured. Once this is served the debtor has 21 days to pay or offer security for the debt - otherwise you are entitled to issue a bankruptcy petition - but you do not have to. My point was that if a debtor gets an SD if he has the money this usually produces it. If it does not then you have to consider that he doesn;'t have it or is so much in debt he would welcome someone making him bankrupt to give him protection from you and all his other creditors.

Serving an SD is cheap and quick and often gets results. If it doesn't then think about a charging order. As I said - take advice from a lawyer or the CAB about your options to enforce the judgment by these and other methods. You might be able to get a free half hour consultation with a local firm of solicitors, or legal advice and assistance if you qualify for legal aid (thats the old name for it, can't remember the new one).

Hope this helps.

Hi all!

Khronus -

The main thing I wanted to point out is that without the CCJ it would not be possible to persue in this manner.

Also,I have used the word "caution" for familiarity purposes.

I have never had to go down any of these routes to get money.

However I had a client a few years ago who did not pay off a CCJ.

So he had an interest in the property registered against him.I assisted this client to raise money against his property to pay the CCJ amount off first and then release equity for his personal use.

So,it is not essential that the property is sold in order to release the equity.

In the end,the person who got the CCJ against my client was paid in full and prior to my client receiving any monies.

So,in conclusion apart from what rbrears suggested it is a means to acheive your goal in getting your money because it does work.A secure but potentially slower process - this of course depends on how willing and prepared your ex-landlord is to cough up what is owed to you.

Anyway,I hope you find this information useful.

If you need any more help,just ask.

Keep us posted.

All the best!

Thanks folks, I've just got the land register with his name on it ! Wooooooooo! Am just waiting for the courts to open at 10 am and then I will be asking for their furthur guidance in this.

I am not so keen on a SD because I have a feeling he wont mind being made bankrupt, he probably has more than one ****ed of person after him and that would ruin it for them also.

K

Ok...Looks like I can go ahead and do it, I had to pay £2 to download the land register from the land registry website, it had his name on it which is good news. Now I have to go into the courts with that printed land register and it will cost me £55, then I have to register the house for another fee of £40. All these charges can be added to the debt thats put against the property. So good sign is its a sure fire way of getting back the full amount 'at some point, maybe 1 month maybe 20 years ! Whenever he sells up ). The bad news is its yet another fee to get my own money back :(

I also checked as to whether it stopped me from pursueing him in any other way for them oney and it does not, which is good as I have an attachment of earning order thats 'trying' to be served on him.

K

Does the slim ball have a car? If so get a pic of him using it or get the reg number, the court bailiffs should be able to take it. They should be able to run the plates to see if he owns the car, if so they can take it.

NatWest:

**£466.28 Settled In Full 21/08/06**

Halifax:

**Full settlement of £107.52 offerd and accepted 25/10/06**

GE Money:

**£48 settled In Full 19/09/06**

Barclays Bank:

**Full settlement of £90 offered and accepted on 24/10/06**

Alliance & Leicester:

**£170 Refunded In Full 17/09/07 (Charges due to bank error but still had to fight them for almost 3 weeks to get back)**

"Thin-de le'hasuan 'aloun'myin-del bpi-de gka-de hasou-de paya"

"Learn the gifts of all sights, or finish in the dance of the fallen gods."

• 7 months later...

Hey folks,

Well, since I last posted on this I had a hearing and had a charging order permantly put on his house. This means that he cant sell it or re-mortgage without paying us back. Unfortunatly ( or not so really ) a few weeks ago we got a letter from the courts saying the landlord was appealing this decision. We had not a single response from him in almost 2 years since the outset and now he finds he will actually lose some money he has decieded to fight it ( slimebag ! ),...and drag me back to court. This is in the next week this appeal hearing will take place and fortunately everything is still in our favour and it may allow us to get our money back a little quicker.

I will let you know how things go after they have happened, i'm somewhat anxious and stressed by it but at the end of the day all I have to do is turn up, tell the truth and whatever else happens after that regardless of my thoughts is the judges decision,

K